Not racing but rocking numbers

Hi folks, 2nd TT post. So what’s the etiquette here? OK to display your old numbers if an ex racer, copy a favourite rider, use a rude number, put on a 1 when you don’t really even know one end of the bike from the other? What’s the consensus? I couldn’t really give a flying frisbee, but we do have a machine the previous owner decked out with a pretty cool custom kit, and elected to include numbers on a red background. Does that make it worse. It’s the semi rude 690, so probably not the POs racing number. 

Poor form or fun with numbers?

Edited by monkeeluva

1 hour ago, monkeeluva said:

Hi folks, 2nd TT post. So what’s the etiquette here? OK to display your old numbers if an ex racer, copy a favourite rider, use a rude number, put on a 1 when you don’t really even know one end of the bike from the other? What’s the consensus? I couldn’t really give a flying frisbee, but we do have a machine the previous owner decked out with a pretty cool custom kit, and elected to include numbers on a red background. Does that make it worse. It’s the semi rude 690, so probably not the POs racing number. 

Until those numbers are removed, your TT account will be locked. Section 5, Title 26 of the TT penal code. Sorry, rules are the rules! ? 

• Like 20

If they aren’t yours and you don’t race that bike, total poser.  Just like the “bad azz” Harley rider with his denim or leather vest with rockers, blue jeans, engineer boots, neatly trimmed beard, nazi helmet and with his face covered with a bandana printed up like a skull.  We’ve all seen them.  Total poser.  Office worker Monday thru Friday.  Outlaw on the weekends.   I laugh at those guys.  And numbers on a 690?  Not what you would image as a race bike.  

BTW, anyone know where I can get a complete custom supercross graphics kit for a KLR 650?

• Like 4

I have a similar question. I just started racing motocross last year...just old guy beginner level stuff but I have 10 races under my belt with a couple 2nd place finishes. I kinda want to get my last name/number on the back of my jersey like others in my class have...but almost think I should wait until I actually win some races and maybe move up a class.

When I played team sports back in the day...I always had my number on the back of my jersey. I do notice at the races the announcer has difficulty identifying riders as mud cakes the number plates and having it on the jersey helps.

So...numbers on jersey for an old beginner...poser?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SnowMule said:

IMG_20171017_202434701-L.jpg

268-FILE0797_-L.jpg

IMG_20180203_192151746-L.jpg

Sweet wrap!  One of the better ones I've seen.  I have left my Axys stock because I haven't found one that I like thus far.

Related question. I just got numbers printed because my brother in-law wants me to start racing with him. Not knowing anything, I just picked a number and picked black numbers on a white background. After getting them, I read that black numbers on white background is for the expert A riders. Now I'm thinking of peeling them off because I don't want to look like a tool riding around like a novice with expert number plates. Whats the consensus on this?

9 minutes ago, schmeal said:

Related question. I just got numbers printed because my brother in-law wants me to start racing with him. Not knowing anything, I just picked a number and picked black numbers on a white background. After getting them, I read that black numbers on white background is for the expert A riders. Now I'm thinking of peeling them off because I don't want to look like a tool riding around like a novice with expert number plates. Whats the consensus on this?

Really comes down to the race org; see what they say.  Some adopt AMA or whatever sanctioning body's rules for colors, others (like all the Sno-X/XC stuff I've been racing) doesn't really care - they just need them to be "contrasting color" and a minimum size on both sides of the machine (doesn't even need specific placement on the sled). 

Same for gear requirements.  Sno-X org I raced with copy/pasted the ISR/ISOC rulebook for equipment, but had tech stuck to the rulebook there'd be about 3 racers that actually met those requirements.  So enforcement on some of that was lax.  Big stuff like helmet/tether and chest/knee protection was enforced, but nit-picky stuff like 144-orange or carbide length wasn't.  XC org never even did a pre-race tech inspection.

Ask the race director or tech director.  They'll tell you yes/no. 

The thing you put the numbers on is called a number plate. Most of them are big white and blank from the factory. An AMA number is a three digit. You got to be real good to get a two digit, and even better to get a single digit. All my bikes have the number 13 on them so I can blame the unlucky number for for my crashes not my lack of skill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Force10 said:

I have a similar question. I just started racing motocross last year...just old guy beginner level stuff but I have 10 races under my belt with a couple 2nd place finishes. I kinda want to get my last name/number on the back of my jersey like others in my class have...but almost think I should wait until I actually win some races and maybe move up a class.

When I played team sports back in the day...I always had my number on the back of my jersey. I do notice at the races the announcer has difficulty identifying riders as mud cakes the number plates and having it on the jersey helps.

So...numbers on jersey for an old beginner...poser?

Do it or on back of chest protector is what I've always done. Helps with scoring if muddy ☺

• Like 2

You wanna rock the numbers, then rock the numbers... Don't go round saying you race when you don't or claim your something your not... End of story.
  • Like 2