Jason Lapp

Aluminum gears on a Thumper.

7 posts in this topic

Does anybody know how well aluminum gears and a lightweight chain will hold up on a small displacement thumper? DR200se

Aluminum is cheaper and easier to machine than steel. If there was even the remotest possibility of making a reliable gear from it, I'm sure the O.E.M.'s would already be doing it. 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, plugeye said:

i assume he meant sprockets

Lol. :facepalm: After hanging around on TT for over 10 years, I've seen a lot of off-the-wall questions, so I figured the OP was really asking about aluminum gears. Anyway, I don't know of any "lightweight" chains, unless you are going with a weaker and smaller chain along with aluminum sprockets.  Even if you can find sprockets that will fit up to a smaller chain, it won't save much weight and will wear out much sooner, imo.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, Jason Lapp said:

Does anybody know how well aluminum gears and a lightweight chain will hold up on a small displacement thumper? DR200se

There's a time and a place to spend some money and squeeze out "a little bit" more performance, but on a DR200 - not so much.  That's because there's not a lot of performance to be recovered, in other words the DR200 is a nice trail bike NOT a race bike.  If you want a really fast bike then get something fast, don't force your DR into doing something that it was never designed to do.

So keep your DR's #1 trait going and buy a good chain and set of steel sprockets, chances are they will out live the bike (with average maintenance).  

EDIT:  You "could" perk things  up some by going one or two teeth larger on the rear sprocket, but stay away from high speed runs (top gear - wide open throttle), at that point your only going to blow it up.

Edited by zig06

No, not for racing or attempting to make it fast.  The motor seized up twice on me from oil flow to the head being blocked. The blockage is gone and the engine still runs but has lost a bit of power and as you can emagine, this thing struggles enough on the highway. Especially with all the accessories I need to have on it. I didn't want to put it in the shop yet cuz they are crazy busy and would take a month to do.  I dont want to do it myself brcause of health problems making jobs like that Much harder than they should be for me.  Was only thinking of taking weight off the drivetrain but my imagination tells me that aluminum wont last long on a single cylinder. 

Im just going to ride the bike the way it is and hope it lasts until the fall or at least my hip surgery.  I'll have it fixed properly then.  

Thank you to everybody for their input and taking the time out to help a stranger. :)

1 person likes this

its the wrong machine for that.

i'm sure you can find a worthy 650 and up street bike that will perform circles around any small thumper

best of luck

1 person likes this