Bachnok

2018 300rr over oiling?

I've got about 150 or so miles on my 2018 300RR and I think it may be over oiling?

It's been making a mess since day one and I assumed it was the 100:1 premix we started with and then I slowly diluted the premix with unmixed gasoline but by now I've got 4(ish) tanks of gas through it and it's still making a crazy mess and seems like the oil in the tank was used faster than I would expect.

Last weekend I was out for a little pleasure cruise while camping and noticed the oil light on.  checked the tube and verified oil was still flowing and I didn't need to push it back to camp.

got back to camp found the pipe and swing arm heavily oiled. checked the odometer.  Only 7 miles on it since I cleaned the oil mess up from last time.

Got home and measured how low on oil it was.  To top it off it took 300 ml of oil.  which based on the odometer was 300ml in 55 miles of riding.

Either one of these complaints by themselves wouldn't probably worry me at all but together it has me wondering about over oiling.

I had read/heard that these bikes go multiple tanks of fuel on one tank of oil.  55 miles isn't actually even a full tank of gas.

22 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

JETTING, not oil mix ratio, is what you should be adressing....

Does the jetting effect how fast the oil pumps? I thought that was based off the throttle position.

• Like 2

Do you hold the throttle wide open often? If you do that, even when lugging the engine, it will pump more oil than needed. I have been experimenting with my 2018 Xtrainer 300 and discovered this. 

Guides done by Ron Williams from Beta USA

Oil injection Flow test:
1. Drain the fuel tank then refill with 60:1 premix.

2. Carefully disconnect the oil line from the intake manifold using a pic or dental tool, pulling on the oil line can cause the oil inlet fitting to rip out of the intake manifold.
Slide a piece of carb vent tubing over the oil line about a ½”

3. Then cap off the oil inlet fitting.

4. Start the bike and check the amount of oil flowing into the lengthened tubing. At idle there should be about 25mm or 1” of oil flow in 90 seconds and 25mm or 1” in 60 seconds revving or holding a higher RPM.

if you see that there is too much oil being pumped after doing the test then check and adjust the TPS:
Remove the fuel tank and unplug the TPS connector. Verify a resistance of 4.6 kohms between the Blue wire and the Black wire.
With throttle closed, the resistance between the Yellow wire and the Black wire at 0% throttle should be 0,6 kohms and 3,2Kohms at
100% throttle.
*Readings outside of this can cause the system to go into safe mode and pump max oil.

Make adjustments to the TPS by loosening the Torx screw and moving TPS assembly until you have the
proper values. As a rule, the screw is close to the middle of the range.

oil check.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

true!!!! if it has been determined that the oil injection system is working properly. after that then if the jetting is too rich then you will probably get spooge comming out the exhaust from the oil that is not burning.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

Jetting is per JD. With their kit. 

It’s been running good. Maybe not snappy like I expected unless run hard. 

I don’t see what that means on an oil injected bike. 

Im mainly responding because I have felt like I was running I bike that was fat unless hot. And now I think that must tie in.

I have sent a PM to the OP regarding his issue and it has nothing to do with jetting or riding style 

So you rather whisper in his ear than share with the rest of the class? Must be juicy.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier-Daddy said:

So you rather whisper in his ear than share with the rest of the class? Must be juicy.

Ive seen the exact same symptoms on some of the MY18 RRs, and it is related to the oil pump (covered by BETA/dealer warranty) 

• Like 2

Spoke with my local dealer.  They're ordering in a new oil pump.

The owner of the dealer's '17 Xtrainer had the same issue of over oiling and they fixed it with a new pump so they're thinking they aren't going to waste time on diagnosis.... replace the pump and see what happens.  Fine with me.

I'm a little concerned though... if the bike is over oiling like crazy... and it has this much power... I'm not sure i'm going to be able to handle it when it isn't getting bogged down by excessive oil. :)

I really love this bike. And I love my dealer.  They're just good local folks doing their best to provide a good service.

Extra thanks to Roon for the PM.  You're the man.

• Like 1

Good to see you're getting it sorted out.  Over-oiling is certainly preferable to under-oiling in regards to engine condition and longevity etc.

Reading yet another thread like this makes me wonder how many bikes out there are over/under oiling, to this amount or to a lesser degree, and their riders don't even know it's happening.

My issue with Beta's OI implementation remains that there's no accurate easily repeatable method for riders or dealers to validate and/or calibrate OI flow for any given RPM at any particular time.  The crude measurement method detailed above and in Beta's OI Troubleshooting Guides is subjective at best.

It's funny... the ironic kind... how some folks will tolerate this variable unmonitored open-loop liquid dispensing solution in their bike's crucial engine lubrication system, but they'd likely scream bloody murder if forced to pay for gasoline or fine liquor measured and sold using the same blind, variable, and unpredictable technology.

Yeah, I know I'm beating that drum again.  But only because I heard yet another Beta rider singing us another sad song about OI system failure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wwguy said:

but they'd likely scream bloody murder if forced to pay for gasoline or fine liquor measured and sold using the same blind, variable, and unpredictable technology.

Sounds like Washington state liquor taxes..... made me quit the liquor in favor of beer. Very sad. :cry: When I visit my daughter near the Idaho border I creep over there and smuggle the liquor home. Well, I used to, I'm full on beer only now. Gout sucks. :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Sounds like Washington state liquor taxes..... made me quit the liquor in favor of beer. Very sad. :cry: When I visit my daughter near the Idaho border I creep over there and smuggle the liquor home. Well, I used to, I'm full on beer only now. Gout sucks. :D

Tom, you're saying beer is better for gout??? 

44 minutes ago, mtdirtbag said:

Tom, you're saying beer is better for gout??? 

For me it is, yes. Need to stay away from IPA. Used to like gin but it's horrible for gout. Stout, Amber, Porter, and Lager all tend to be ok in moderation (less than 2 per day).

Don't know if you can get Paradise Creek brewery product in Montana but if you can it's worth a little gout inflammation form time to time. :busted:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

For me it is, yes. Need to stay away from IPA. Used to like gin but it's horrible for gout. Stout, Amber, Porter, and Lager all tend to be ok in moderation (less than 2 per day).

Don't know if you can get Paradise Creek brewery product in Montana but if you can it's worth a little gout inflammation form time to time. :busted:

Have not seen that locally, but we have an explosion of micro-brew breweries in the Flathead Valley - my favorites are Porter, Scotch Ale, Amber (especially Yardsale from Tamarack Brewery). Not a stout drinker (pansy a$$), but your comment peaked my interest since I have a couple beers each evening and am having arthritis problems in my knees and considered not drinking beer, I know - drastic measure. I rode two weeks ago and can hardly walk, 76 yo knees just cannot take it anymore.

1 minute ago, mtdirtbag said:

Have not seen that locally, but we have an explosion of micro-brew breweries in the Flathead Valley - my favorites are Porter, Scotch Ale, Amber (especially Yardsale from Tamarack Brewery). Not a stout drinker (pansy a$$), but your comment peaked my interest since I have a couple beers each evening and am having arthritis problems in my knees and considered not drinking beer, I know - drastic measure. I rode two weeks ago and can hardly walk, 76 yo knees just cannot take it anymore.

Awesome that you're still riding, suggest roll back consumption to 3 days per week non consecutively and see what happens. 

Random long lost update:

Dealer replaced my oil pump under warranty.

No change in symptoms.  Splooge after a few minutes of riding. excessive smoke. and oil light comes on at 50-60 miles.

I got the opportunity to take a 300xc on a little burn on saturday that had zero splooge and it made me realize I've definitely been leaving a lot of power on the table that I'm going to blame on the crazy amount of oil going through this motor.

I yanked the oil injection today on my lunch break.  I'll get it out for a test ride this weekend and hopefully she's like a new bike.

• Helpful 1

Beta recommends any of the fully synthetic oils. Looking at the data for different oils i have on my site at www.dragonfly75.com/moto/oil.html I would use Bel-Ray H1-R which is much less viscous than the other synthetics such as Motul 800. I'll bet with it you won't have spooge.

Edited by jaguar57
  • Like 1