2018 300rr over oiling?

Sorry to report had same happen on my 17 300 RR, would go through full tank of oil in about 8-10 miles. Dealer replaced pump, same, swapped brain box with my other 300, same, even swapped carb, same. Dealer was willing to make it right but I wanted to ride so pulled the OI.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 2:13 PM, Bachnok said:

Spoke with my local dealer.  They're ordering in a new oil pump.

The owner of the dealer's '17 Xtrainer had the same issue of over oiling and they fixed it with a new pump so they're thinking they aren't going to waste time on diagnosis.... replace the pump and see what happens.  Fine with me.

I'm a little concerned though... if the bike is over oiling like crazy... and it has this much power... I'm not sure i'm going to be able to handle it when it isn't getting bogged down by excessive oil. ?

I really love this bike. And I love my dealer.  They're just good local folks doing their best to provide a good service.

Extra thanks to Roon for the PM.  You're the man.

Not to worry. Two strokes make MORE power with more oil, going up to 20:1 or more.

7 minutes ago, LSHD said:

Not to worry. Two strokes make MORE power with more oil, going up to 20:1 or more.

LOL, only when the jetting is adjusted accordingly to run the engine optimally for power and oil combustion.  Trying to adjust jetting for inexplicable over-oiling combined with OI's (intended) variable rate of 100:1 to 32:1 sounds like a futile exercise.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, LSHD said:

9 hours ago, BENriding said:

NOT

It's true.  More oil means better ring seal, increased compression, and more power.  The practical threshold is determined by a combination of of jetting and riding RPM.  I had great performance with minimal spooge in my Xtrainer with 40:1 for a year and I know other local 2T riders that are running 32:1.  I only switched to 50:1 because most of my riding is slower technical, resulting in cooler engine temps and a bit more spooge at low RPM.

This article sums it up pretty well, including the dyno summary pasted below:

"I have run Dyno tests on this subject, as a school project in Tech School. We used a Dynojet dynamometer, and used a fresh, broken in top-end for each test. We used specially calibrated jets to ensure the fuel flow was identical with each different ratio, and warmed the engine at 3000 rpm for 3 minutes before each run. Our tests were performed in the rpm range of 2500 to 9000 rpm, with the power peak of our test bike (an ’86 YZ 250) occurring at 8750 rpm. We tested at 76 degrees F, at 65% relative humidity. We started at 10:1, and went to 100:1.

Our results showed that a two-stroke engine makes its best power at 18:1. Any more oil than that, and the engine ran poorly, because we didn’t have any jets rich enough to compensate for that much oil in the fuel. The power loss from 18:1 to 32:1 was approximately 2 percent. The loss from 18:1 to 50:1 was nearly 9 percent. On a modern 250, that can be as much as 4 horsepower. The loss from 18:1 to 100:1 was nearly 18 percent. The reason for the difference in output is simple. More oil provides a better seal between the ring and the cylinder wall."

• Like 4

On 9/24/2018 at 3:20 PM, Bachnok said:

Random long lost update:

Dealer replaced my oil pump under warranty.

No change in symptoms.  Splooge after a few minutes of riding. excessive smoke. and oil light comes on at 50-60 miles.

I got the opportunity to take a 300xc on a little burn on saturday that had zero splooge and it made me realize I've definitely been leaving a lot of power on the table that I'm going to blame on the crazy amount of oil going through this motor.

I yanked the oil injection today on my lunch break.  I'll get it out for a test ride this weekend and hopefully she's like a new bike.

Oil injection or not, any other 300 is going to feel like a completely different bike than the xtrainer 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MixinGasKickinAss said:

Oil injection or not, any other 300 is going to feel like a completely different bike than the a stock xtrainer 

Fixed it for ya.

An Xtrainer with a Gnarly or Fatty pipe, PV spacer removed, PV spring wound out a bit, and a properly set up carb with consistent oil ratio is a completely different machine than what comes out of the factory crate.

• Like 1

Fixed it for ya.

An Xtrainer with a Gnarly or Fatty pipe, PV spacer removed, PV spring wound out a bit, and a properly set up carb with consistent oil ratio is a completely different machine than what comes out of the factory crate.
Have you tried the fatty by chance? Just curious on the difference between it and the Gnarly?

47 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Yeah, the stock pipe is castrating the XT. Regardless of pipe the KTM will still have a good bit more horsepower .

Ha ha I just bought a used xt pipe to castrate my 300rr with. I rarely go past half throttle so curious on the differences and hope to smash it less often as it's tucked away more. 

28 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:
1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

Ha ha I just bought a used xt pipe to castrate my 300rr with. I rarely go past half throttle so curious on the differences and hope to smash it less often as it's tucked away more. 

Read more  

How would you describe the difference? Interested in selling the RR pipe?

Pipe is in the mail to me so don’t know yet. 

2 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:
2 hours ago, wwguy said:
Fixed it for ya.

Have you tried the fatty by chance? Just curious on the difference between it and the Gnarly?

I've only tried the Gnarly.  I was looking mostly for more bottom end to help with extended climbing on Idaho mountain singletrack. Some of my rides have 4000' to 5000' elevation gain.

I was expecting power gains, but what I got literally surprised the hell out of me.  I bolted the Gnarly on one hot August evening after work last year and couldn't help but take it for a quick spin around the driveway and street in front of my house to see if I could feel an immediate difference.  Since I was only going to blip the throttle a few times in 1st gear I didn't bother to gear up properly and just rode in my shorts and Chaco sandals (yes, dumb... but it was "just for a minute".)  This is probably also a good point to mention that my PV adjuster was still wound out flush from my preference for the stock pipe, but I still had the PV spacer in place.

So I rode across the pavement in 1st gear and blipped the throttle as I rode up over a 6" high landscaping curb, like I've done a hundred times before, and was quite surprised to find myself staring at blue sky as the front end came up and the bike started to loop over backwards on me.  I had to pull the ejection handle and bail out before the bike got on top of me, but I still got a little scraped up from the pavement.  My wife and neighbors were standing in the driveway staring at me like "what in the hell is he doing now?"

Since then I've ridden a couple thousand trail miles on the Gnarly and I'm a big fan (and a bit more respectful) of the power.  I'm currently riding with the PV turned in a couple of turns.  Flush is too much mojo for me.

20170811.jpg

• Like 2

I've only tried the Gnarly.  I was looking mostly for more bottom end to help with extended climbing on Idaho mountain singletrack. Some of my rides have 4000' to 5000' elevation gain.

I was expecting power gains, but what I got literally surprised the hell out of me.  I bolted the Gnarly on one hot August evening after work last year and couldn't help but take it for a quick spin around the driveway and street in front of my house to see if I could feel an immediate difference.  Since I was only going to blip the throttle a few times in 1st gear I didn't bother to gear up properly and just rode in my shorts and Chaco sandals (yes, dumb... but it was "just for a minute".)  This is probably also a good point to mention that my PV adjuster was still wound out flush from my preference for the stock pipe, but I still had the PV spacer in place.

So I rode across the pavement in 1st gear and blipped the throttle as I rode up over a 6" high landscaping curb, like I've done a hundred times before, and was quite surprised to find myself staring at blue sky as the front end came up and the bike started to loop over backwards on me.  I had to pull the ejection handle and bail out before the bike got on top of me, but I still got a little scraped up from the pavement.  My wife and neighbors were standing in the driveway staring at me like "what in the hell is he doing now?"

Since then I've ridden a couple thousand trail miles on the Gnarly and I'm a big fan (and a bit more respectful) of the power.  I'm currently riding with the PV turned in a couple of turns.  Flush is too much mojo for me.

20170811.jpg&key=009a7e6bce11fba6e9d20e0cb1e8ff94edd0c111022fe32a85384b07918f8272
I have the Gnarly too. I was curious if the Fatty would make it a little more tractable down low in exchange for some more on top. I don't want to lose all the bottom end but I have to imagine even a Fatty would be stronger down low than the stock pipe.

2 hours ago, wwguy said:

20170811.jpg

Yep, them landscaping curbs are brutal. All rides on bike require mx boots and helmet else injury is sustained especially after tuning tweaks.

• Like 1