gas tank upgrade drz400s

looking to get a bigger gas tank. I'm looking at the Clarke 3.9 and the acerbis 3.7. any opinions on either and if anyone has another suggestion I'm all ears.

• Like 1

looking to get a bigger gas tank. I'm looking at the Clarke 3.9 and the acerbis 3.7. any opinions on either and if anyone has another suggestion I'm all ears.
Had the Clarke 3.9, liked it, but wouldn't fit with my Fluidine radiators. So I got the 4gal IMS, ok I guess. Next one will be Acerbis, got one for my KTM, seems to be the highest quality...20180502_221014.jpg20180502_221023(0).jpg
  • Like 2

I'm looking for that one you have on your ktm is that a 3.7 gallon tank? 

• Like 1

I'm looking for that one you have on your ktm is that a 3.7 gallon tank? 

4 gal. Or maybe 4.1, can't remember.

• Like 1

yeah am looking into them the one you have on your ktm they don't have for the drz

• Like 2

can you use the stock petcock? I see the one that comes with the tank is plastic and I don't really like that

• Like 1

I have the Clark 3.9, I discovered that it doesn’t have a bridge line, when I hit empty reserve it appears the right side of the tank still has approximately 1.75 ltr in it, do lay the bike down on the left side and I’m good to go for a few more klm’s .
If I knew that when purchased it I would not had of bought it. They all appear to be the same
  • Like 1

:rolleyes::ride::thumbsup: I have the clark one and love it and had no problems, I also use a (rapter) petcock and no trouble,:cool:

I just bought a ims 4 gallon for my drzE and it was easy to install, $250 bucks and does the job. According to the instructions it also fits the s model with included hardware. Only problem I have now is it makes the already poor suspension even worse. Time to respring and rebuild. 

• Like 2

I have a Clarke 4.0. Had a blue one that faded bad. Clarke said the plastic tanks have to 'breathe' and would not keep the color. I then got a white Clarke, which has since faded to a neutral color (taken about 12 years). I'm so used to it now I don't even think about it. I installed a non vacuum petcock, and know if I had to I could lean it over and get more gas, haven't had to do that. So I am fine with mine. take note though, it is a tight fit against the welded on 'wire' cable holder going down the left side of the steering head. That needs to be bent away from tank or it will rub a hole in it quickly (I would guess).

I have a similar question, that I think this thread somewhat address...

I put the Clarke tank on my bike, but I still see so much gas in the "wings" of the tank when I have to switch to reserve.  Seems to be a waste to haul all this extra gas around if I can't use it.  Is this something the upgraded petcock would fix?

19 minutes ago, ChrisP11 said:

I have a similar question, that I think this thread somewhat address...

I put the Clarke tank on my bike, but I still see so much gas in the "wings" of the tank when I have to switch to reserve.  Seems to be a waste to haul all this extra gas around if I can't use it.  Is this something the upgraded petcock would fix?

There's no way to get the gas from one side to the other, unless you tip the bike. The Acerbis tank had twin petcocks that met in a "Y" before the carb, so you got ALL the gas. Unfortunately it was made for the E model. They now make one for the S/SM but with only one petcock.

• Like 1

There's no way to get the gas from one side to the other, unless you tip the bike. The Acerbis tank had twin petcocks that met in a "Y" before the carb, so you got ALL the gas. Unfortunately it was made for the E model. They now make one for the S/SM but with only one petcock.
The 'tip to the side' technique saved me from walking at least once...
  • Like 1

That's too bad.  I was almost left stranded when I thought I had plenty of gas.

When I installed my Clarke, I just used the petcock off my stock tank.  Should I have changed over to the manual one?