Hi folks,
I bought a bike about half restored. '78 XT500E. Many new parts, but the previous owner said he couldn't get it to spark. 

The coils look brand new, points and condenser as well. I haven't actually removed the flywheel to see the stator coils yet. 

Previous owner removed: battery, rectifier, and kill switch to run as a dirt bike only.  Key ignition switch is still intact. 

I unplugged the key ignition switch for these tests to eliminate that possibility, and I did a few tests. 

When I kick the bike, and hold the spark plug to the motor or other ground I get ZERO spark. 

When I remove the plug and cap, I got zapped when holding the wire and kicking.

When I take the Black/White wire leading to the coil and hold to a ground I get a noticeable blue and rhythmic spark. So power is making it to the coil. 

I got the following readings with my multimeter, though some of these jumped around a lot. 

Black wire from 4-wire stator loom to ground = 2.5ohm --- can't find spec
Primary Coil (Black/White wire male blade to ground) = 1.2 ohm -- spec is .75, so high...maybe too high?
Spark Plug Cap to ground = 11.73k ohm 
Spark Plug wire w/ NO cap to ground = 7.03k ohm - spec is 5.75K ohms, so again, high.  

Also, new plug, and even bought a new Emgo universal coil to test. Similar results, tho I think it’s got lower resistance than the other coil I’ve got which appears to be a newer after market unit. The gray one that it seems everyone has and sells for XT500. 

Also, attaching a pic of my points for reference in case something is majorly off there. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought of that too! I swapped one from my CB650 that I know works. No improvement. 

Posted (edited)

If the frame has been powder coated there can be issues with grounding, where the coil mounts etc. + 1 on checking the points

Edited by DPete

Ground is good, but yes the frame is painted. Scraped with a chisel, and buffed with 400 grit. 

The points are stil a big question mark. Leaving town this weekend, but gonna clean the points real well, and make sure I’m not grounding somewhere I’m not supposed to.

if the points are clean and have the right gap, but the timing is out, you will get a weak spark or none at all. if the timing is in the right place but the condenser is faulty its the same. replace with a new one for piece of mind. (they dont last for ever)

stew