Spooge TE 300

Im new to 2 strokes. Just bought a 2018 TE 300 last Saturday and immediately put about 30 miles on it. Felt absolutley crisp and well jetted (stock Mikuni carb). That ride was at about 1000 ft elevation. Then this weekend I rode another 50 miles around 4,000 ft elevation and it felt just a bit blubbery in the low rpms and it was producing spooge. All other variables were the same. Is spooge something to be worried about, and is the slight blubbery feeling down low just a symptom of the Mikuni not being jetted right for the slightly higher elevation? Temperature was the same btw. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Spooge is normal in a 2 stroke. I can’t say about fuel injected ones but every 2 stroke I’ve ever had has spooge. A little to moderate is normal, if it’s dripping all over your swingarm that’s worth looking into. Your manual should have the jetting settings per elevation, temperature, etc and if you’re going to ride at 4K a lot, you might want to tweak it a bit from stock, which is for 1k and below.

41 minutes ago, vzero said:

Spooge is normal in a 2 stroke. I can’t say about fuel injected ones but every 2 stroke I’ve ever had has spooge. A little to moderate is normal, if it’s dripping all over your swingarm that’s worth looking into. Your manual should have the jetting settings per elevation, temperature, etc and if you’re going to ride at 4K a lot, you might want to tweak it a bit from stock, which is for 1k and below.

Yes, as you increase elevation then you need to adjust carburetor to leaner condition. Spooge is the bikes way of saying it's too rich.

• Like 2

Spooge is not an indicator of poor jetting or pre mix ratio.

IF you have spooge, chances are you lug the bike often.. This lugging is whatis causing the spooge and is nothing to be concerned about.

I have 2 identical bikes, Once ridded by me (53 years old) and 1 ridden by my son (21 years old),Both of us ride about the same speed and the bikes are setup identical right down to the same gas can used.

Guess which bike has spooge and which one does not?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HERA said:

Spooge is not an indicator of poor jetting or pre mix ratio.

IF you have spooge, chances are you lug the bike often.. This lugging is whatis causing the spooge and is nothing to be concerned about.

I have 2 identical bikes, Once ridded by me (53 years old) and 1 ridden by my son (21 years old),Both of us ride about the same speed and the bikes are setup identical right down to the same gas can used.

Guess which bike has spooge and which one does not?

I almost mentioned the lugging to spooge correlation but then I started thinking about how I had the same amount of spooge for the D100 (desert, a lot of wide open) as I do for lugging harder enduro woods riding. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Amsoil dominator, 50:1, 2019 tx300, no spooge. Healthy dose of smoke at startup and needs cleaned out before riding indicates a good amount of residual oil. Stay on the pipe a bit more or get a lesser mix ratio oil. Saber can do 100:1 and 80:1....perfect for slower trail riding and serious lugging.
I would NOT recommend saber for a modern 2 stroke..... Amsoil themselves have said it has not been tested at that ratio for these bikes stay with dominator
  • Like 2

OEM spec 60:1 (I happen to use K2 Maxima) with good pump premium ( I always use Shell) like I mentioned above and install/use an OEM heat range BR7EIX Iridium plug, bike seems to start quicker and run cleaner with the IX plug, I have been a big fan of these plugs for years now. Matter of fact use IX plugs in all your machines as an upgrade. And don't chase jet issues until you set up your float level to the lower side of the spec. see JDs photo slide show of proper float height setup , its pretty much spot on.

OEM spec 60:1 (I happen to use K2 Maxima) with good pump premium ( I always use Shell) like I mentioned above and install/use an OEM heat range BR7EIX Iridium plug, bike seems to start quicker and run cleaner with the IX plug, I have been a big fan of these plugs for years now. Matter of fact use IX plugs in all your machines as an upgrade. And don't chase jet issues until you set up your float level to the lower side of the spec. see JDs photo slide show of proper float height setup , its pretty much spot on.
Hey just a slightly off topic question I recently just tore my carb apart from my 18 tx300 and it was shocking how bad the float was off..... How does that happen??

1 hour ago, lbeck119 said:
1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

Hey just a slightly off topic question I recently just tore my carb apart from my 18 tx300 and it was shocking how bad the float was off..... How does that happen??

Only my thoughts nothing factual to prove it , KTM production, they order boxes full of carburetors from Mikuni, Mikuni has a basic setting that goes into all their carbs based on a certain position, and even with that there is going to be some variation. KTM Husky installs carbs on the line and they are tilted forward more than the Mikuni spec set up. KTM runs the bikes (all of them are run up) and for that run up they are fine. We get them delivered with higher than proper fuel height. Mine for example would spill fuel from the standpipe with only a very minor angle tilt to the side, like 10 15 degrees., most bikes are dang near 45 degrees before fuel pours out of the bowl standpipe (overflow). I knew the thing was high physically on that quick and dirty manual check.

• Like 1

Only my thoughts nothing factual to prove it , KTM production, they order boxes full of carburetors from Mikuni, Mikuni has a basic setting that goes into all their carbs based on a certain position, and even with that there is going to be some variation. KTM Husky installs carbs on the line and they are tilted forward more than the Mikuni spec set up. KTM runs the bikes (all of them are run up) and for that run up they are fine. We get them delivered with higher than proper fuel height. Mine for example would spill fuel from the standpipe with only a very minor angle tilt to the side, like 10 15 degrees., most bikes are dang near 45 degrees before fuel pours out of the bowl standpipe (overflow). I knew the thing was high physically on that quick and dirty manual check.
Yep that's exactly what mine was doing to