Need help, dirtbike wont start

Please someone i am 13 i have an ktm 85 and just stepped up to a crf250f but i have a problem...k so about 5 years ago my dad bought a 2005 crf250f, he traded it for another bike it was a 450 or something idk but anyways hes really good with cars and dirtbikes and he put it together and she started first kick and he had it going for only about 3-4 minutes and then he put it in a shelf and it sat there for about 5 years (yea five years i know right) he was saving it for me to have, so a few days back we went to start it, we must of tryed about 100 kicks and we tryed bump staring/push starting it and it just wouldnt go so we pulled the motor apart and the timing was on and he checked some other stuff and it all seemed to be fine, and he went to work for about a week today and id say im desent with working on dirtbikes and im just wondering if theres anything i can try well hes gone because i want ride it soooo bad lol. Please help

Is there spark?
But most likely it's a gummed up and varnish carb from seating.

Yes spark plug is clean, emptied out the tank and put fresh gas in it, we have fuel flowing to the carb and the air filter is freshly cleaned

Like everyone else is saying, the carb is certainly the most likely culprit.  You can clean it, but honestly I recommend buying a couple jets.  You can buy a brand new pilot and main jet for around $20.  Cleaning the small orifice of the pilot can be a pain.  Clean out of the float bowl with some good carb cleaner, or let it soak over night in some Pinesol.  A bike that has sat for a long time can be a real pain to get fired up, but once it does, let it run for a good while, and then it will almost certainly start easy from then on.  Assuming the piston and valves are in good shape of course. 

Thanks lots for the help dude ill get on it, and yea my dad took his time with the bike and bought all new valves and parts because it was going to be his but since it didn’t run he just bought a different bike and put that one the shelf and now i have it ?

Everyone else?[emoji9], Just was me and OP, till you joined

Like everyone else is saying, the carb is certainly the most likely culprit.  You can clean it, but honestly I recommend buying a couple jets.  You can buy a brand new pilot and main jet for around $20.  Cleaning the small orifice of the pilot can be a pain.  Clean out of the float bowl with some good carb cleaner, or let it soak over night in some Pinesol.  A bike that has sat for a long time can be a real pain to get fired up, but once it does, let it run for a good while, and then it will almost certainly start easy from then on.  Assuming the piston and valves are in good shape of course. 
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...