Stripped master brake cylinder screws, What to do?

I recently purchased my son a used 07 CR85 and have made it a project bike build. After rebuilding most of the entire bike, I came across these two highly stripped out master cylinder screws. I am stumped, how can I get these suckers out without ruining the reservoir. Like many ham fisted bike owners, these suckers are in very tight.

Res.jpg

I recently purchased my son a used 07 CR85 and have made it a project bike build. After rebuilding most of the entire bike, I came across these two highly stripped out master cylinder screws. I am stumped, how can I get these suckers out without ruining the reservoir. Like many ham fisted bike owners, these suckers are in very tight.
Res.thumb.jpg.09fbc706627302ccdd5c6b8f69ea8a77.jpg

I usually clean out all the dirt really well, then take the best phillips screw driver I own (#2 Snap-On) and a hammer. Then while twisting, tap the top of the screw driver with the hammer and they usually back out without damage. Replace the screws once removed of course.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CrankItUPMotor said:

I usually clean out all the dirt really well, then take the best phillips screw driver I own (#2 Snap-On) and a hammer. Then while twisting, tap the top of the screw driver with the hammer and they usually back out without damage. Replace the screws once removed of course.

They aren't Phillips screws, trying to remove them with a Phillips screwdriver is what causes them to strip.  :prof:

Honda like the other Japanese manufactures use JIS screws(Japanese Industry Standard).  You need to use JIS bits and if they are really tight use a hammer type impact driver it will do the trick.

I'm still amazed that more rider don't know this...

Here is the difference.

JIS-vs-phillips-screws.jpg.5ccf7fabfc0f5c7f5bc5858663c16249.jpg

This is the type of impact driver you need.

BHMD-30__84933__26281.1459288437.jpg.6583ef10d9950db9ce86634741557ddf.jpg

• Like 18

11 hours ago, sjvmtb said:

Had some in similar shape to yours and got them out with these. Got mine at the local hardware store.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ontel-SpeedOut-Damaged-Screw-Extractor/dp/B00IRL3WP4?th=1&psc=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_2wfu1pr5x6_e

I have a set of these, just havent used them before. I suppose this will be my go to attempt.

10 hours ago, MentalGuru said:

They aren't Phillips screws, trying to remove them with a Phillips screwdriver is what causes them to strip.  :prof:

Honda like the other Japanese manufactures use JIS screws(Japanese Industry Standard).  You need to use JIS bits and if they are really tight use a hammer type impact driver it will do the trick.

Here is the difference.

Never mind more riders, after 47 years I've never even heard of the JIS standard. At least I learned something new today, now I can shut off for the rest of the day.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, tk2stroke said:

Never mind more riders, after 47 years I've never even heard of the JIS standard. At least I learned something new today, now I can shut off for the rest of the day.

Here, Here.... I have always used a Philips head screwdriver as well, and usually they seem to work... shutting off now..

Buy some valve grinding compound.  Fill the stripped area with the compound, and insert the proper screwdriver.  The compound will fill in the areas that are missing.  Works like a charm.  A small jar of compound is cheap, and you can get it at your local auto parts store.  Learned this trick about 40 years ago, and hasn’t failed me yet.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tk2stroke said:

Res.jpg

Look up time seats kit they work really well

I drilled the heads off, just enough to get ride of the head itself. Then remove the cap and there will be enough screw sticking out to attach vide grips too. The screws drills really easily, so don’t drill any further then you have too

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MentalGuru said:

Here is the difference.

THIS!

There has been after market parts for all sorts of JIS screw replacements, usually with Allen bolts. Mostly from the use of Phillip on JIS screws. Even in JIS you have to pay attention to pitch too.  Carbs are probably #1. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bosarge22 said:

THIS!

There has been after market parts for all sorts of JIS screw replacements, usually with Allen bolts. Mostly from the use of Phillip on JIS screws. Even in JIS you have to pay attention to pitch too.  Carbs are probably #1. 

I remember my '70s bikes which used JIS screws to hold everything together.  Case covers and all sorts of parts.  A hammer type impact driver was a must.  I use it to break loose JIS screws on carbs and such to this day.  Stereo components and other electrical products made in Japan use JIS screws too.

If you look close at the comparison pic I posted you'll see a Philips screwdriver can be modified with a file or careful bench grinding to turn it into a JIS head.

• Like 2