cobroker

another oil change issue- starter won't work now

4 posts in this topic

Ok, I feel like an idiot here.  Picked up a couple new 2017 RMX450's.  did the first compete oil change on both bikes last weekend.  changed filter, removed the magneto cover, removed and cleaned the second screen, followed the owner manual exactly!

Unfortunately what it doesn't cover is that when you pull the magneto cover, half the damn gears and washers pull out and fly all over.  Plus there are no pics, diagrams, or instructions on how to reassemble.  Thankfully, we had the second bike to very slowly pull the cover off, and then check the placement of all the gears, washers, etc.

So, reassembled everything, both bikes kick start fine, but neither bike will start using the starter motor.  It seems like it 'binds' or is out of phase with the gears or something?

Not sure what we did wrong?  any ideas?  Has anyone else experienced this or know how to correct?

thanks

You're allowed to have two RMX450Z's? :( jk but you definitely have something backwards. I'm pretty sure this is the right diagram, hope it helps. I'm due to check my strainers so when I pull mine apart i'll get some pictures and video

RMX Starter gears.PNG

1 person likes this

here you go. the top and middle gear have a washer on either side. the bottom little gear just has a large spacer. the gears should be able to be turned by hand

2 people like this

Thank for you posting this.  We took cell pics of what we did, and were going to take them apart again...nothing like another oil change after 50 miles, lol.  I think we put a washer in the wrong space.

and yeah I had to buy two because my 17 yr old wanted to learn to ride so....one thing led to another

bikes.jpg

1 person likes this