2018 KTM 500 EXC-F

2 hours ago, rustyg61 said:

I just bought a 2018 KTM 500 EXC-F. I love it so far but haven't had a chance to get off road with it. Does anyone have this bike & advice for mods?

KTM 3.jpg

Lots of stuff to do. @Jeff aka Bolt has the full list of parts and mods available and sells it all at less than the others. Vortex ignition, pro moto billet end cap or fmf rear muffler. The only thing you need to get other than what he has would be the smog block off kit from Blias racing. 

• Like 3

in addition to what was mentioned already...  add to the list a shark fin, bigger tank, skid plate, lower gearing, scotts stabilizer (saved my butt a few times), rear side handle, pipe guard (that sucker gets hot), UHD tubes, and get the suspension dialed in. 

Also, unless you can get it remapped, a vortex will open it up and get rid of the de-acceleration pops. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, the 'Sarge' said:

in addition to what was mentioned already...  add to the list a shark fin, bigger tank, skid plate, lower gearing, scotts stabilizer (saved my butt a few times), rear side handle, pipe guard (that sucker gets hot), UHD tubes, and get the suspension dialed in. 

Also, unless you can get it remapped, a vortex will open it up and get rid of the de-acceleration pops. 

Even remapped it’s really not very good unless it’s just used for easier dual sport riding. The Vortex is the answer for no excuse performance.  Not sure about the larger tank. I am still using a stock tank. They seem to get very good mileage so that would depend on how far one has to ride. 

• Like 2

Tires!!!  I've heard good things about Shinkos, and they are cheap!  Sninko 505 cheater in the rear, mx216 in the front.  Uses the same molds as Golden Tire at half the price.  I'm buying a set when I install my tubliss system.  Stock tires suck, but worth ~$100 on craigslist and that will almost buy a set of Shinkos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTJ said:

Tires!!!  I've heard good things about Shinkos, and they are cheap!  Sninko 505 cheater in the rear, mx216 in the front.  Uses the same molds as Golden Tire at half the price.  I'm buying a set when I install my tubliss system.  Stock tires suck, but worth ~$100 on craigslist and that will almost buy a set of Shinkos.

Just a small double think on the Shinko front. The rubber doesn’t last compared to the Golden’s. 

Thanks for all the advice! I have a skid plate on order & will do the muffler & remap eventually after I recover from the sticker shock of purchasing the bike! I may need stiffer springs for my weight (215) but so far the suspension is adequate for what I'm doing. I promised my wife I wouldn't try to clear the triples on this one! I haven't been on a dirt bike in 10 years so I'll wear out the stock tires while getting used to the bike before I get back in race form & need better tires. I ran Pirelli's on my last dual sport, WR 250R, & they worked pretty well. So far this has way more power than my WR had even after many mods, & the weight doesn't feel bad so I'll decide later about pulling all the smog stuff off. How much does removing the smog stuff help the performance? I pulled it all off of my WR, but on that bike it was a pretty big weight savings, the KTM doesn't have as much smog stuff on it.

Has anyone had any issues with the blinkers flashing on both sides when you turn them on? It seems to be related to the blinker indicator light on the dash, I can wiggle the wire going to that light & the blinkers work normal. My bike was missing the bulb on the indicator lamp when I got it so I got a bulb from Pep Boys last night & it made the blinkers work normal but I still had to wiggle the wire one time after putting the bulb in. I don't know if it is the right bulb, but it fit the socket & it looks like the right bulb.

The seat feels like wood so I will replace that eventually too.

The front wheel has serious vibration above 60 mph so I ordered wheel weights from ktmandhusky.com.

I only have 2 1/2 hours on the bike so once the newness wears off & I get used to the bike I'm sure I will start doing more mods.

I used to race MX & loved jumping but I have a 14" rod in my leg from coming up short on this jump on my WR 250R so I probably won't be doing the big jumps on this bike. I mainly bought it to ride around town & trail riding.

YZMAN27.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, trailjammer said:

Check out Trailjammer Designs dot com for the best full coverage Clutch and Stator Guard protection. I hand make them in San Jose, CA. ThumperTalk members get free shipping too.

Speak up my good man. ?

http://www.trailjammerdesigns.com/ktm-500-clutch-and-stator-guards

• Like 2