So my pipe glows in the dark...

Proper greeting of the day to all! I have a 2001 DR650SE that I purchased over a year ago that had a few modifications done to it. Previous owners installed a Two Brothers exhaust, which sounds awesome. And they also took a saws all to the top of the air box to the point of it almost being non existent. So I think the combination of the before mentioned modifications have created a potentially dangerous and/or damaging mix for the engine. Of the internet crawling I have done, it sounds like it may be a jetting issue. But I don't currently have enough technical proficiency to sift it all on multiple sites. I'll leave a quick description, and any further assistance in preventing my engine from turning into an exploding claymore mine on a trail somewhere, would be greatly appreciated. 

1. the exhaust sounds like gunshots when downshifting

2. recently discovered the header is hot enough to glow orange in darkness after running for 5 min or so. 

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. 

Semper Fidelis

1. Check the carbs jetting and that the ACV (coast valve) works,

2. Normal for a aftermarket, thin wall pipe to glow when the bike is sitting and idling.

You'd be better off wit the air box top on and the opening set to be about 3" X 3".

• Like 1

Personally, with those mods already done I'd just buy a jet kit and follow the instructions (it's easy).  FWIW, a good kit should have enough band width to cover everything from a completely stock combination to one with a modified air box and free flowing muffler (like a JD Jet Kit). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, William1 said:

1. Check the carbs jetting and that the ACV (coast valve) works,

2. Normal for a aftermarket, thin wall pipe to glow when the bike is sitting and idling.

You'd be better off wit the air box top on and the opening set to be about 3" X 3".

BST carb with an ACV?

• Like 1