Starter trouble sanity check

Finishing a frame up restoration of a 99 L. Went to start it up, and nothing. Lights come on and dim when i hit the starter...but no clicking (starter relay) at all. Does nothing. Kickstand saftey is disabled, run switch is on.

Another thing is that the neutral light doesnt come on...and it is in fact in neutral. As i write this, the more i think it could be the neutral sensor..

My sanity check is for what the most probable next steps should be.

Bench test the starter

Neutral sensor checks

All fuses have already been checked.

Curious if there is anything else to be considering.

Thanks for any insight

I have a ton of pics ill post once its done..complete, start to finish20180415_220545.jpg

8 hours ago, DoubleP said:

Bench test the starter

What do you mean by this?

All you need to do is run a heavy gauge wire from the + terminal of the battery to where the power goes into the starter to see if it works.  Make sure you're in neutral and all that first.

I have a spare starter if you need one.  Someone else was planning to buy it, but flaked out on me, so I still have it.  I'll make you a good deal on it.

If the starter works when you run power directly to it, then you need to start checking all of the other stuff that will prevent power getting to the relay that makes the starter go.

Have you tried pulling in the clutch while you're starting it? If your neutral switch is out, or stuck open, the electrical system could be reading it as "in gear" when it's actually not. And you have to have the clutch engaged to start it "in gear." Check and recheck all electrical connections, especially when doing a frame up resto. You probably know and have done this stuff, but I forget the basics sometimes too. Also, have you tried to bump start it? Any turn over or sputters?

((I'm not 100% about this, but if the neutral light bulb acts as part of the neutral circuit, and the light bulb is out.. the circuit wouldn't be complete and that may be the issue. Worth testing the light bulb though, just in case all else fails.))

Have you tried pulling in the clutch while you're starting it? If your neutral switch is out, or stuck open, the electrical system could be reading it as "in gear" when it's actually not. And you have to have the clutch engaged to start it "in gear." Check and recheck all electrical connections, especially when doing a frame up resto. You probably know and have done this stuff, but I forget the basics sometimes too. Also, have you tried to bump start it? Any turn over or sputters?
((I'm not 100% about this, but if the neutral light bulb acts as part of the neutral circuit, and the light bulb is out.. the circuit wouldn't be complete and that may be the issue. Worth testing the light bulb though, just in case all else fails.))
Thank you so much. And no...ive not held in the clutch. And no neutral light on. Funny enough, i put in a new neutral sensor as part of the rebuild when i noticed the old one was cracked. All that happened when i hit the ignition button was the headlight dimmed, no click (relay)or turnover. Ive pulled the starter and successfully bench tested it. I think i should give it a shot with the clutch held in.
  • Like 1

Its fixed. Thank you all for your replies.
Heres what it ended up being.

#1 i didnt know enough about xr650ls to know that if the neutral switch wasnt working, the clutch had to be held in.
#2 the neutral switch wire at the harness under the seat wasnt plugged in.
#3 i put thrust washers where i thought they should be in the starter gear case but they ended up clamping down the gears, causing just a click when the ignition was pushed. The engine and bike had been completely apart, boxed for about a year. So..its a big puzzle...learning as i go.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DoubleP said:

Its fixed. Thank you all for your replies.
Heres what it ended up being.

#1 i didnt know enough about xr650ls to know that if the neutral switch wasnt working, the clutch had to be held in.
#2 the neutral switch wire at the harness under the seat wasnt plugged in.
#3 i put thrust washers where i thought they should be in the starter gear case but they ended up clamping down the gears, causing just a click when the ignition was pushed. The engine and bike had been completely apart, boxed for about a year. So..its a big puzzle...learning as i go. emoji3.png

Those thrust washers get a lot of people.

Glad you got it worked out.

17 minutes ago, Hollerhead said:

Those thrust washers get a lot of people.

Glad you got it worked out.

Other than the graphics only thing that changed during XRL production was those washers!

Though I heard a rumor the 1st year was actually a little higher?