Jump to content

Where to begin in Big Bear?

Recommended Posts

I've heard there's some amazing dual sporting up in Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead area. Just wondering if anyone would be willing to share some fun trails that you've found. Not asking for your secrete spot(even though that would be nice) just looking for somewhere to start. Thanks!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually stage at Miller Camp, right past Lake Silverado.  From there, you can ride up to The Pinnacles (another staging area).  From the Pinnacles, there are all kinds of trails.  I will usually head up to the T-6 crossing, and up a rutted jeep road towards Crab Flats.  Just before Crab Flats, there is a trail to the left called Redonda Ridge.  It a fun ride with some challenging uphills. It ends up in Big Pines Flats.  From there, you can go left and ultimately wind down to the only real singletrack left up there, which will take you to Devil’s Hole and a fairly deep water crossing.  Or turn right at Big Pines Flats and explore around, coming back to Crab Flats and a return to staging.  Lots of fun and challenging trails up there.  Make sure to get a map from a Ranger’s Station somewhere.  It’s a good, accurate map, and the trails are fairly well marked.  Don’t go alone unless you are staying on the jeep roads.  You can also stage by Crab Flats, which is more central to the trails.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Gflo said:

I usually stage at Miller Camp, right past Lake Silverado.  From there, you can ride up to The Pinnacles (another staging area).  From the Pinnacles, there are all kinds of trails.  I will usually head up to the T-6 crossing, and up a rutted jeep road towards Crab Flats.  Just before Crab Flats, there is a trail to the left called Redonda Ridge.  It a fun ride with some challenging uphills. It ends up in Big Pines Flats.  From there, you can go left and ultimately wind down to the only real singletrack left up there, which will take you to Devil’s Hole and a fairly deep water crossing.  Or turn right at Big Pines Flats and explore around, coming back to Crab Flats and a return to staging.  Lots of fun and challenging trails up there.  Make sure to get a map from a Ranger’s Station somewhere.  It’s a good, accurate map, and the trails are fairly well marked.  Don’t go alone unless you are staying on the jeep roads.  You can also stage by Crab Flats, which is more central to the trails.

I like to stage at Pinnacles and ride trails to Big Bear for gas and food... Then tour the lake, past the damn and back through Arrowhead via back roads and mountain views.

http://ridersonline.org/images/trips/052610_silverwood_tease.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

I like to stage at Pinnacles and ride trails to Big Bear for gas and food... Then tour the lake, past the damn and back through Arrowhead via back roads and mountain views.

http://ridersonline.org/images/trips/052610_silverwood_tease.gif

Yea, the Pinnacles is the better place to stage, and you can pick up a map at the Ranger’s Station right on the way.   Miller Canyon is just easier and quicker to get to depending on which way you are coming.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice pics, Jeff. You look younger in those selfies, though. By the way, we were on Just Outstanding two weekends ago. I was trying to describe the manzanita tunnel to my wife. So I went to the RIDERs website and found what I wanted un Evans Flats. Thanks.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys! That is some great info!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Redrattler telling Jeff he looks younger in selfie pics. I love this place

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, The Anvil said:

Redrattler telling Jeff he looks younger in selfie pics. I love this place

Acually, I interpreted it as him telling me I have gotten really old since those pics were taken.  :lol:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Acually, I interpreted it as him telling me I have gotten really old since those pics were taken.  :lol:

Well duh.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Gflo said:

I usually stage at Miller Camp, right past Lake Silverado.  From there, you can ride up to The Pinnacles (another staging area).  From the Pinnacles, there are all kinds of trails.  I will usually head up to the T-6 crossing, and up a rutted jeep road towards Crab Flats.  Just before Crab Flats, there is a trail to the left called Redonda Ridge.  It a fun ride with some challenging uphills. It ends up in Big Pines Flats.  From there, you can go left and ultimately wind down to the only real singletrack left up there, which will take you to Devil’s Hole and a fairly deep water crossing.  Or turn right at Big Pines Flats and explore around, coming back to Crab Flats and a return to staging.  Lots of fun and challenging trails up there.  Make sure to get a map from a Ranger’s Station somewhere.  It’s a good, accurate map, and the trails are fairly well marked.  Don’t go alone unless you are staying on the jeep roads.  You can also stage by Crab Flats, which is more central to the trails.

Theses are not beginner routes. I may go to Miller Canyon this Sat 5/12 and up to arrowhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gflo said:

Yea, the Pinnacles is the better place to stage, and you can pick up a map at the Ranger’s Station right on the way.   Miller Canyon is just easier and quicker to get to depending on which way you are coming.

I love this place !

beta ride cleghorns 009.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always like to start at the Silverwood dam so I can be almost out of gas from commuter miles by the time i get to even halfway decent stuff by big bear standards.

 

That reminds me it was probably about a year ago I almost ran outta gas up there and had to perform fellatio on a bear.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Car Racer Matt said:

I always like to start at the Silverwood dam so I can be almost out of gas from commuter miles by the time i get to even halfway decent stuff by big bear standards.

That reminds me it was probably about a year ago I almost ran outta gas up there and had to perform fellatio on a bear.

I bet you were pissed standing there with bear jiz on your chin when the bear starts laughing and says...

"Gas ?"  "Dude I don't even have a wallet...  I'm a bear !"

:lol:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×