No mess chain lube ?

Been using pro Honda chain lube for awhile. No problems so far. Doesn't fling off and make a mess. Dirt doesn't stick to it very much either. I've used a couple cans of the Maxima Clean Up chain cleaner and it works ok. Does what it's supposed to.

pro_12_cha_lub_wit_mol_15_oz.jpg

max_12_cle_up_cha_cle.jpg

Edited by Casper50

Maxima chain wax works great on aluminum extension ladder sliders -That is, where the two sections slide on each other.

As for chains- I run an O-ring, never lube it, cut it off with a torch or grinder when it's shot-quicker and easier than messing with a worn master link. They last at least a year on a 500 down here in the Jersey sand and swamp muck.

20 hours ago, LSHD said:

Use an o-ring chain and don't lube it. It will last about 15 times longer than a standard chain. After washing the bike, blow off the chain with compressed air. If you don't have air, wipe it with a paper towel and wait till next day. Spray with a wax lube if you must, and do it from the top onto the lower chain like brenton101 said.

NEVER lube or do anything to the chain with the bike running. Rotate rear wheel by hand with bike on stand.

I catch so much shit from street bike people for doing that. They think if you dont wash and lube your chain every 500 miles it will self destruct. Sooo many angry replies whenever I mention I rarely wash or lube my chain... OEM ones last me 10,000 miles even with lots of riding in the rain. The chain usually starts to get stiff spots, but by then my sprockets are usually shot anyway. Heck, it probably would last longer if I took care of it, but even discounting the price of the cleaning products, the value of my time spent would faaaaar outweigh the price of a new chain. I clean and wax mine every time I put on new tires but its mostly just for aesthetics. 

Edited by Oic0
  • Like 2

I catch so much shit from street bike people for doing that. They think if you dont wash and lube your chain every 500 miles it will self destruct. Sooo many angry replies whenever I mention I rarely wash or lube my chain... OEM ones last me 10,000 miles even with lots of riding in the rain. The chain usually starts to get stiff spots, but by then my sprockets are usually shot anyway. Heck, it probably would last longer if I took care of it, but even discounting the price of the cleaning products, the value of my time spent would faaaaar outweigh the price of a new chain. I clean and wax mine every time I put on new tires but its mostly just for aesthetics. 
Last road bike I bought, the previous owner said the same thing. He never really touched the chain. It and the sprockets were all toast in the 6000 miles the was on the bike. Metal shavings under front procket cover and both sprockets were hooking bad. I have about 20k on the new chain sprockets and lube them ever ride and they still look new and have only had to adjust them once.
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mike in Fresno said:

Oring chain   No lube. Wd40 after a waash. Spray chain under swing arm in a downward direction. No issues for 30 years. 

This^.  Has faithfully served me as well since I started using o-ring chains in the early ‘80s.

• Like 1

I have been using regular old WD40 for 38 years with no issue on street and dirt including road racing and motocross racing. My 2001 street bike has original o-ring chain. 

The industry wants to sell their motorcycle chain lube. This is where the confusion comes from. I'm sorry to the vendors but it is the truth.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, weldoid said:

I have been using regular old WD40 for 38 years with no issue on street and dirt including road racing and motocross racing. My 2001 street bike has original o-ring chain. 

The industry wants to sell their motorcycle chain lube. This is where the confusion comes from. I'm sorry to the vendors but it is the truth.

Exactly. Thank you.

• Like 1

All the lube does on an o-ring chain is provide for a very short term cushion between the rollers and sprockets.  I doubt that cushion lasts more than five minutes off road.  But it does act as a great dirt magnet that may increase wear over no lube at all.  I only spray WD40 on my chain after I wash it to disperse the water and provide for a bit of rust protection.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gflo said:

All the lube does on an o-ring chain is provide for a very short term cushion between the rollers and sprockets.  I doubt that cushion lasts more than five minutes off road.  But it does act as a great dirt magnet that may increase wear over no lube at all.  I only spray WD40 on my chain after I wash it to disperse the water and provide for a bit of rust protection.

How do you know that?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, drider14 said:
26 minutes ago, Oic0 said:

Read more  

Last road bike I bought, the previous owner said the same thing. He never really touched the chain. It and the sprockets were all toast in the 6000 miles the was on the bike. Metal shavings under front procket cover and both sprockets were hooking bad. I have about 20k on the new chain sprockets and lube them ever ride and they still look new and have only had to adjust them once.

Dunno how. I've never had one last less than 10,000 miles and I treat them like crap. Even my 690 enduros chain has almost 10,000 miles of abuse on it and its been ridden in mudholes and put away dirty. 

14 hours ago, Fitz235 said:

I've been using WD 40 on O-ring chains for years.

Me too.  About 15 yrs for me.  I used the heavy thick spray on stuff for a long time and finally went to wd40 after a buddy told me his secret.  No mess, no rust.  

• Like 2