can anybody tell me why the Dr 650 is so ugly

I'm trying make my dr look a little more aggressive and like a dirt bike but I'm having a difficult time. my dr 350 though old looks way different which is better in my opinion. I think maybe it has to do with the 17 inch rear wheel and the 4 inch difference with the 21 inch front rim.

Considering that it was mostly designed in the late '90's, it's pretty clear what the problem is - old styling.

That can be fixed with newer designed plastic, you just have to use some imagination and then go shopping.

A good start would be to go with Pro Cycles rear clean up (different rear fender and tail light setup:

dsa-comp-bike.jpg

• Like 6

If you trade it for a new Beta or KTM it will look more modern.
I'll stick to my '06 DR650 though, it might look old but it works great!

• Like 3

Idk I'm kinda wanting 650, perhaps next year. I think they look fine personally, yeah they have the older look but that's fine by me. Kind of like dirt bikes, I love the newer bikes but I also like the older bikes too.

Park it next to a gen 2 KLR, preferably in OD green, and it will look way better!  In all seriousness, I like the way the DR looks.  If anything, it is a little lower than a normal dirt bike, and that is what may be bothering you.

• Like 2

I was considering the klr but the dr just looked more like a dirt bike.

It rides more like one too.

I was considering the klr but the dr just looked more like a dirt bike.

The matte plastic, edgy-shaped Acerbis tank really makes that bike look a lot better IMO.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 5.31.17 PM.png

• Like 1

IIRC, an 18 inch DR 350 wheel will fit a 650. Might want to research it a bit, could have been certain years or something. 

Op, ride faster so you'll look like a blur and nobody will notice what you're riding, not even you. :)

• Like 1

Considering that it was mostly designed in the late '90's, it's pretty clear what the problem is - old styling.
That can be fixed with newer designed plastic, you just have to use some imagination and then go shopping.
A good start would be to go with Pro Cycles rear clean up (different rear fender and tail light setup:
dsa-comp-bike.jpg
that's a good looking Dr I will aspire to get it to look like that one day. so far I took everything unnecessary off mine. I picked up a 2002 Dr 650 with 2000 miles for 500 someone just didn't care about and let sit.
my buddy gave me his 2007 klx 450 suspension so I'm currently working on putting the rear shock in. that rear plastic is nice looking on your bike damn I looked it up though it's some pricy shit

The matte plastic, edgy-shaped Acerbis tank really makes that bike look a lot better IMO.
5af2173adaa6c_ScreenShot2018-05-08at5_31_17PM.png.bb6409ef898e3a7a4c26519717fad730.png
the colour scheme is pretty cool. you gotta get a new pipe though that's the first thing I'm doin after I get mine registered. I found a picture of that pipe cut in half it's amazing the exhaust can even get out
dsa-comp-bike.jpg
hey where did you get the seat and seat cover I love that seat cover

I think my DR is just lovely, not to mention my own Hollywood movie star good looks.

Ralph

• Like 1

Bikes are like girls, the not so good looking are low maintenance/reliable and the good looking ones are high maintenance/unreliable, it's called Sod's law

• Like 2

Why did you buy it if you thought it was ugly and that's all you care about?

Don't worry, it will bother you less when you get older, you know like when your pubes fill in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 13gagewoods said:

that's a good looking Dr I will aspire to get it to look like that one day. so far I took everything unnecessary off mine. I picked up a 2002 Dr 650 with 2000 miles for 500 someone just didn't care about and let sit.
my buddy gave me his 2007 klx 450 suspension so I'm currently working on putting the rear shock in. that rear plastic is nice looking on your bike damn I looked it up though it's some pricy shit

It's not my DR, that's an image off of Pro Cycles web site advertising the rear fender and tail light.  Both of which they sell.  The seat cover is a custom deal, you could have that copied by any decent upholstery shop (boat, auto, etc.), but it might cost you a couple hundred dollars - ask them to verify that. 

FYI:  I'm still not a fan of the KLX shock on a DR.  "yes" the KLX shock might be better but the time that you spend just to make it fit is one thing, and then after that your going to have to have to valved and buy a spring that will work with your DR's weight and linkage ratio's.  And even then it might not be "right".  Personally I would (and will some day) save up for Race Tech's rebuild with their damping adjustable shaft and new valving.  It's a combination that they worked out and it's "good", other than cost it'll be far better than your KLX swap (nothing personal).

Why did you buy it if you thought it was ugly and that's all you care about?
Don't worry, it will bother you less when you get older, you know like when your pubes fill in.
the Dr looks like my pubes