can anybody tell me why the Dr 650 is so ugly

It's not my DR, that's an image off of Pro Cycles web site advertising the rear fender and tail light.  Both of which they sell.  The seat cover is a custom deal, you could have that copied by any decent upholstery shop (boat, auto, etc.), but it might cost you a couple hundred dollars - ask them to verify that. 

FYI:  I'm still not a fan of the KLX shock on a DR.  "yes" the KLX shock might be better but the time that you spend just to make it fit is one thing, and then after that your going to have to have to valved and buy a spring that will work with your DR's weight and linkage ratio's.  And even then it might not be "right".  Personally I would (and will some day) save up for Race Tech's rebuild with their damping adjustable shaft and new valving.  It's a combination that they worked out and it's "good", other than cost it'll be far better than your KLX swap (nothing personal).

well shit haha too late to go back I literally just finished putting it in. I figured I couldn't go wrong it's all around a better shock and I don't mind getting a stiffer coil If need be I figure id have to with how much heavier the Dr is. it only took me 4 hours to fit drill and shim everything up. it actually works great so far I'll let you know if it has any issues. it was meant to be I think it fits literally perfect and longer or bigger it wouldn't have worked. plus I got the shock for free. hopefully the valving works though it dampens very nice with the coil out traveling the swing arm up and down

4 minutes ago, 13gagewoods said:
1 hour ago, unswitched said:
Why did you buy it if you thought it was ugly and that's all you care about?
Don't worry, it will bother you less when you get older, you know like when your pubes fill in.

the Dr looks like my pubes

Consider changing the things that bother you the most first.  For me it was the front fender and the side panels, did a few more things and after a couple years I now have a completely different looking bike.

Which reminds me, I don't have a picture of how it currently looks, I'll post one tomorrow.

It's not my DR, that's an image off of Pro Cycles web site advertising the rear fender and tail light.  Both of which they sell.  The seat cover is a custom deal, you could have that copied by any decent upholstery shop (boat, auto, etc.), but it might cost you a couple hundred dollars - ask them to verify that. 

FYI:  I'm still not a fan of the KLX shock on a DR.  "yes" the KLX shock might be better but the time that you spend just to make it fit is one thing, and then after that your going to have to have to valved and buy a spring that will work with your DR's weight and linkage ratio's.  And even then it might not be "right".  Personally I would (and will some day) save up for Race Tech's rebuild with their damping adjustable shaft and new valving.  It's a combination that they worked out and it's "good", other than cost it'll be far better than your KLX swap (nothing personal).
I watched all the Aussie videos on mods for the suspension and thought about doing that in the future but I'm fairly poor and got handed the kx suspension. I havnt figured out if it's kx or klx. it's got kx etched in it. havnt gotten a chance to ride it with the new shock I have to get it recharged. also is the stock shock rechargeable? the valve on it has hard plastic that doesn't come off.1525829814858.jpeg1525829834278.jpeg
Consider changing the things that bother you the most first.  For me it was the front fender and the side panels, did a few more things and after a couple years I now have a completely different looking bike.
Which reminds me, I don't have a picture of how it currently looks, I'll post one tomorrow.
this is how I'm gunna run mine1525829882335.jpeg

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, 13gagewoods said:

well shit haha too late to go back I literally just finished putting it in. I figured I couldn't go wrong it's all around a better shock and I don't mind getting a stiffer coil If need be I figure id have to with how much heavier the Dr is. it only took me 4 hours to fit drill and shim everything up. it actually works great so far I'll let you know if it has any issues. it was meant to be I think it fits literally perfect and longer or bigger it wouldn't have worked. plus I got the shock for free. hopefully the valving works though it dampens very nice with the coil out traveling the swing arm up and down

Glad to hear that it works!  I'm always concerned about mods like these when there's a big unknown about how it's going to perform in extreme cases.  With different linkage ratios you could be relying on a lot of compression damping and not realize that your very close to totally bottoming it out.  That's why I like to rely on established pro's like Race Tech, being a big suspension company with lots of experience, they have to really test it out before offering it to the public.

Either way, I hope the mod works out, post a review once you really get a chance to put a few good rides on it!

Edited by zig06
spell check

It's the piggy back reservoir that get charged with nitrogen.  Chances are that if the shock needs to be recharged then it also needs to be rebuilt.

1525829814858.jpeg

It's the piggy back reservoir that get charged with nitrogen.  Chances are that if the shock needs to be recharged then it also needs to be rebuilt.
1525829814858.jpeg.2c144110112de6705f14951e0216d12c.jpeg
I let the nitrogen out when I took the shock apart to drill the mount for the linkage. I didn't know what was going to happen because this kx shock has rebound dampening as well eith an adjustment on the bottom. I figured there must be oil down there if there's an adjustment. also I read that sticker on the shock that says danger. so if it all fails atleast I can read

Kudos to you for not taking my bait. It sounds like you're trying hard to upgrade your suspension on a budget, I hope that works out better!

Seriously if you're on a tight budget riding is the most important thing. Other riders will respect you for that.

You can make big changes with plastics, and with some prep cheap spray paint can change the way your bike looks. Here are a couple of pics of a DR I sold last summer.

dr 2006 1.jpg

new (2).jpg

• Like 1

i

Glad to hear that it works!  I'm always concerned about mods like these when there's a big unknown about how it's going to perform in extreme cases.  With different linkage ratios you could be relying on a lot of compression damping and not realize that your very close to totally bottoming it out.  That's why I like to reply on established pro's like Race Tech, being a big company like that they have to really test it out before offering it to the public.
Either way, I hope the mod works out, post a review once you really get a chance to put a few good rides on it!
I will thanks for the recommendations I think it's going to work good. worst case I have to buy new linkage and put the old shock back on if it's weird. I narrowed the spot where the shock mounts. sacrificed my seals down there unfortunately but I'm going to add o rings and it's gunna seal it up nice. for now I have it packed with grease. it's a shame to take this bike apart it's only for like 2000 miles on it

I like that's tank how much was it

Kudos to you for not taking my bait. It sounds like you're trying hard to upgrade your suspension on a budget, I hope that works out better!
Seriously if you're on a tight budget riding is the most important thing. Other riders will respect you for that.
You can make big changes with plastics, and with some prep cheap spray paint can change the way your bike looks. Here are a couple of pics of a DR I sold last summer.
5af2538b75f00_dr20061.thumb.jpg.4c07fcf80bf00932c9356609c67757f1.jpg
5af2539f996b3_new(2).jpg.524816553ea337a7b6c81f0905e3a542.jpg

Actually a nice DR350 with the electric start is one of my fantasy bikes. That tank is the Acerbis 5.3 gallon, and last I looked they were about $195 on Amazon or ebay.

Actually a nice DR350 with the electric start is one of my fantasy bikes. That tank is the Acerbis 5.3 gallon, and last I looked they were about $195 on Amazon or ebay.
mines kicker only. I like them with both. I'm selling this 350 to get more money to put into the 650 I needed more power.

Everything dirt is ugly compared to a 70's Husqvarna LOL!

7 minutes ago, ventabular said:

Talk is cheap without pics!

in was actually kinda thinking about getting a vintage style tank for my dr and a cool seat. probably not but that's was so cool about it! it's ugly as all hell but versatile as a mofo. I think it looks the best supermotoed

IMG_0381.thumb.jpg.f71aa264d614ef9da3c01fb04e3d7c51.jpg Mine started life as a yellow 05. Made a few changes.
honestly I think it's the rear plastic that makes it look funny I like that plastic how much was it?

honestly I think it's the rear plastic that makes it look funny I like that plastic how much was it?

$175. Fairly steep,but it includes the plate bracket and LED brake/taillight/plate light. The turn signals are some cheap Chinese LEDs that I paid $15 for all four. Front fender is modern YZ