2001 Honda cr250

So I just got a good deal on this 01 cr250. Pretty mint. It came with super Moto tires on it and they changed the back wheel to an 18. I ride motocross so I want to go back to a 19’. I’m looking at rims but do I get a 32 hole or 36??? And one more question does anyone have any suggestions on what weight is recommended on a fly wheel for this bike??

32 hole is right. Any full-size Honda rear wheel 2000-2012 should fit, but the125/250F’s will be the narrower 1.85 width vs the 2.15 you’ll want to look for. FWW is largerly rider preference but if you’re on the fence a out which one experience has taught me to err on the heavier side vs the lighter. Good luck. 

On my 01 engine, I started with the 12 oz, then went to the 10 and have finally settled on the 8.  I do mostly hare scramble style racing but have taken up Moto last year.  I spent a day at the track going back and forth from no FWW to the 8 oz and couldn't really feel much difference on how quick it would rev up but could definitely tell how well the back tire hooked up.  I just run the 8 everywhere now.  The 10 and 12 work well for off road / technical / slick riding for what its worth.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GR250R said:

On my 01 engine, I started with the 12 oz, then went to the 10 and have finally settled on the 8.  I do mostly hare scramble style racing but have taken up Moto last year.  I spent a day at the track going back and forth from no FWW to the 8 oz and couldn't really feel much difference on how quick it would rev up but could definitely tell how well the back tire hooked up.  I just run the 8 everywhere now.  The 10 and 12 work well for off road / technical / slick riding for what its worth.

:D

Stock FW for MX. Woods riding you could add weight if you want. I've never needed to tho

Thank you . And just curious what difference does a 1.85 compared to a 2.15 make. I know it’s the width but will it have an effect on the handling? I actually have a 1.85 laying around.

Little bit more tire spin, but nothing that will be noticed unless in conditions. Go for it.

I liked a 10 oz fww but another thing might be enough. Just change your aluminum plates in your clutch to all steel metal plates. It adds some weight and you won’t have aluminum shavings in your gear oil. Get a tusk clutch kit from rockymountain mc. It’s cheap and works well and you can stash the new fiber plates for later. You may want to keep an 18” rear wheel. I think it’s better all around for trail or mx. I thought changing to an 18” was a big improvement and you have more choices of tires .

Edited by hawaiidirtrider