300 race edition

I have a 2017 300 Race Edition and love the closed cartridge suspension, power and chassis. I had the suspension massaged by LT-Racing. I just rode a buddies 2018 KTM with the Del Soggio inserts with revalve and mine felt just as good if not a little better. I'm a pretty aggressive rider and hit things hard and the Race Edition suspension has been awesome. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, springer8828 said:

it but I was not completely thrilled with the power seemed like it lacked just a little but I have heard you can adjust that out.

Yes you can. Turn power valve adjust flush with case and also play with red, yellow, green power valve springs just as you would with the KTM. Power delivery is tunable in this regard.

• Like 1

Ok you win
Not a contest, just trying to show that products from austria/india/china are not the same they used to be. They're hyped up and made cheaper each year, and sold for more each year. What they sell to the public is not even close to what they race. Gone are the days where Watts would show up, uncrate the bike and dominate.
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, motocrotts said:
21 hours ago, weantright said:
Ok you win

Not a contest, just trying to show that products from austria/india/china are not the same they used to be. They're hyped up and made cheaper each year, and sold for more each year. What they sell to the public is not even close to what they race. Gone are the days where Watts would show up, uncrate the bike and dominate.

It is since you are very close minded about the brand. 2017-2018 KTM bikes are much better then the past bikes they replaced. Overall more people are satisfied with the stock carb and suspension with little extra money thrown at them then not. No different then Beta.

Watts was a great rider in his time. He wouldn't place in the top 10 of today's racers except in the 125 class where there's only about 10 there. Today's talent is soooooo much better then when he was competition vs. cheaper bikes bla bla bla. But all brands are cheapening out the product. When this stops the prices will sky rocket!

8 hours ago, weantright said:

It is since you are very close minded about the brand. 2017-2018 KTM bikes are much better then the past bikes they replaced. Overall more people are satisfied with the stock carb and suspension with little extra money thrown at them then not. No different then Beta.

Watts was a great rider in his time. He wouldn't place in the top 10 of today's racers except in the 125 class where there's only about 10 there. Today's talent is soooooo much better then when he was competition vs. cheaper bikes bla bla bla. But all brands are cheapening out the product. When this stops the prices will sky rocket!

I think all the bikes out there are pretty good and all of them have their niggles but KTM riders are just plain strange ducks.When I'm riding my Beta and come across another Beta rider its like :cool your riding a Beta:.When I take out my KTM,if it happens to be running, and I come across some KTM riders who recognize me to be a Beta rider theirs eyes get all lit up and they all circle around patting me on the back while making lowing sounds like a bunch of cattle and the next thing you know is,Your invited over to one of their places for a secret Wed night KTM owners new inductee/ pot luck diner meeting and don't forget to bring the kids, because there will be plenty of orange Koolaide for them too!. Naturally being a gentleman, I politely decline by reminding them that Ive got a flat earth society meeting that night to which they all understandingly agree and carry on their merry ways.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 9

Can you show your poll results regarding happy ownership of mikuni carbs? I'm sure JD Jetting could show data to argue your poll. As far as suspension goes, everyone in the free world knows production WP suspension is sub par to everything else. Ask Stillwell Performance, Kreft, Factory Conection, Precision Concepts, Del Saggio, TBT, Race Tech, etc. Yet, they're more expensive than everything else. Your comparison of Watts to today's riders is redicuous and can not be proven, so its only a opinion and it's moot.
Also, if you're so pro Austria, why are you in the Beta forum? Shouldn't you be in the orange kool-aid forum? Just askin.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, motocrotts said:

Can you show your poll results regarding happy ownership of mikuni carbs? I'm sure JD Jetting could show data to argue your poll. As far as suspension goes, everyone in the free world knows production WP suspension is sub par to everything else. Ask Stillwell Performance, Kreft, Factory Conection, Precision Concepts, Del Saggio, TBT, Race Tech, etc. Yet, they're more expensive than everything else. Your comparison of Watts to today's riders is redicuous and can not be proven, so its only a opinion and it's moot.
Also, if you're so pro Austria, why are you in the Beta forum? Shouldn't you be in the orange kool-aid forum? Just askin.

If you ask guys who make money off "fixing" the suspension on the most popular brand of bike if the suspension needs fixed, why would you be surprised when they say yes? Their livelihood depends on WP sucking.  

Edited by kbro45
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, motocrotts said:

Not pro Austria, just questioning your opinion on a new carb and big $$ needed for a KTM. Pull from your post "Can you show your poll results regarding unhappy ownership of mikuni carbs?" I can show you several people that switch to a new carb on their Beta. Does that mean all Beta's need a new carb to run right?? And last I checked Stillwell Performance, Kreft, Factory Conection, Precision Concepts, Del Saggio, TBT, Race Tech, etc. work on Sachs stuff so your point is,, well moot. I don't care what brand you like or not but it's unrealistic to make those claims. Is orange Kool-Aid any different then red???

• Like 1

If you ask guys who make money off "fixing" the suspension on the most popular brand of bike if the suspension needs fixed, why would you be surprised when they say yes? Their livelihood depends on WP sucking.  
Are you saying it's a conspiracy?

2 minutes ago, kbro45 said:

WP doesn't suck so much as KTM's set-up.

• Like 1

Whenever I come across some guys stopped on the trails riding the new KTM's I like to ask them their opinions about the newest bikes.I hooked up with  two fast guys on xcw's who had no complaints about the xplor suspension,one was also running a lectron carb. Both as others I have queried on the subject were completely satisfied with the suspension having come of the earlier oc equipped versions of the bike.

When it comes to the highly touted AER fork equipped bikes, the consistent complaint I hear is that the fork needs work because it lacks compliance and control on the gnar, this again coming from capable riders. On the subject of the Mikuni,who knows.It changes depending on who's doing the talking.Go figure.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, widebear said:

On the subject of the Mikuni,who knows.It changes depending on who's doing the talking.Go figure

Love the threads of beta curious folk who read that ktm 2017+ mikuni is a nightmare and so they believe the beta carb also needs replacement. :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, motocrotts said:
2 hours ago, kbro45 said:

Read more  

Are you saying it's a conspiracy?

I would call it "fake news"

That's funny, I've talked to several ktm riders on 17,18's running 2012 closed cartridge forks and still they paid 10k for the bike. Sure were interested in my beta though. I had to jet my beta for 8 to 12k ft in Colorado otherwise stock was perfect.

• Like 2

What's the difference if you buy a KTM XCW with a wp Xplor and need new valves and parts to make it adjustable like the old OC,  or you buy a XC with AER and need a spring kit or other mods, or you buy a 2012 forks on ebay and you spend $500 having them cleaned, checked, valved and brought back to new, or you buy 4CS and have new cartridges put in, or you have BETA USA or Stillwell revalve your OC or CC forks before delivery because the OC's are too soft and the CC's are too harsh?  So many threads I read here on the Beta or KTM site regarding suspension is the same.... "I sent my forks out to XYZ company and now they rock, thanks a lot "name" for making my bike soooo much better."  Who has ever said "I love my beta/KTM stock!!!!!"... well I meet guys on the trails who do, most are faster than me, and their crappy suspension isn't keeping them from whooping my butt.  

So back to the Beta... it's a fork and shock revalve difference in price to a KTM new, so that IMO makes it have the better suspension for the same price. 

Edited by bikesandcars
  • Like 2

I'm an intermediate 6'1" rider who rides 100% single track and I'm considering a '17 Beta 300rr race.  I've read they have slightly smaller frames and I'm concerned it'll be tight.  The bike is 4 hours away and there's no one locally who has one I can ride.  My last bike was a '14 350 exc and with bars raised an inch and footpegs lowered 5/8" the bike fit me perfect.  Any riders my size on the Beta 300 and how do you find the fit?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zad said:

I'm an intermediate 6'1" rider who rides 100% single track and I'm considering a '17 Beta 300rr race.  I've read they have slightly smaller frames and I'm concerned it'll be tight.  The bike is 4 hours away and there's no one locally who has one I can ride.  My last bike was a '14 350 exc and with bars raised an inch and footpegs lowered 5/8" the bike fit me perfect.  Any riders my size on the Beta 300 and how do you find the fit?

6-2 here.  Move bars away and up and using a guts racing tall seat. Bike fits great. I have a Hyde skid plate too. Whack the ground more due to lower clearance. Stock foot pegs still. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zad said:

Thanks Shrubitup, what's your weight, do you set the sag and did you have to change the springs?  

Far in excess of stock springs. Yes,  new springs and sag. Nw_drZ is closer to stock springs but he went up slightly F/R and set sag too. He is 6-3 and has a 250rr. stock is for a 170 pound rider I think.