How do you defeat arm pump?

I've been lucky over the years to not have to deal with serious arm pump. What might help is to make sure the wrist cuff of your jersey or gloves that are too tight are not slowing down circulation.

Tums...arm pump is acid build up in your arms. Take a couple tums before you ride and its significantly reduced.

I am so trying this tomorrow!

No pro here, but in my experience here is what helps.  Stay fit as possible.  Grip the bike more with your legs and have more finesse on the bars with your hands.  I have caught myself MANY times gripping onto the bars with my hands MUCH more than what is actually required and this introduces tension.  Experiment with different bar position and lever set-up to find what works best for you.  Perhaps even try a different bar bend than your stock bars.  Finally....stay well hydrated.

Edited by Fatt_Tones

Perhaps even try a different bar bend than your stock bars.  Finally....stay well hydrated.

Short of buying and trying various bars out while riding (an expensive proposition perhaps), any suggestions for how to get a sense for better fit? Let’s say you’re in the dealer with a bunch of bars you can hold? What to look for in how they feel?

Yeah gee I never really thought about it.  I just sort of discovered by accident over the years that I like a Windham bend and a relatively neutral bar position.  Basically discovered that when I bought a used bike that already had them installed.  You can buy bar risers pretty cheap too.  I think I have tried the Tusk risers and they work well.  That's probably not a bad idea to go feel some various bars at the dealer, but you don't get the feedback of riding with them and trying said bars.  You might pick the set that feels best in the store and then try them.  If they don't work for you sell them right away and try something different.  You could also pop down to the local MX track and walk through the pits, maybe ask a few kind fellows what bar bend they run and ask if they mind if you sit on their bike.

But honestly I would first try working with what you have.  This is one of those things that probably has a lot more to do with the rider and a lot less to do with the bike.  So save yourself spending the cash right now and work on the other fixes.

13 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Short of buying and trying various bars out while riding (an expensive proposition perhaps), any suggestions for how to get a sense for better fit? Let’s say you’re in the dealer with a bunch of bars you can hold? What to look for in how they feel?

I typically only care about 2 major factors in bars and that's the rise, and sweep. Always seemed like they changed the feeling the bars the most. 
A lot of bend profile can be determined by how tall you are. Realistically you want as low of rise as possible to maintain weight over the front wheel, but also maintain good posture and body position. Taller people often need to either raise the bar (In this case a taller rise on the bar, or bar risers can be used) to find that happy spot. After that, the amount the bar sweeps (the bend the bar ends come back) and adjusts how close everything comes to you. I don't care for bars with larger amounts of sweep as it puts my wrists are awkward angles, but that's personal preference. But I just sat on lots of bikes to find a happy medium of what I was looking for. As Fatt mentioned, I also like a very neutral bend as it seems to be very natural for me to find the bars and controls when I reach for them. 

I've always like this very simple and short compilation of pictures and descriptions. Shows some of the things your looking to avoid when adjusting and looking for what fits you. 
Bar Setup