Ben500RR-S

Rubber battery hold down broke a long time ago and have never replaced, should I replace it?

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

At least according to Surfer Dude, the reason the strap breaks is the edge of the battery butts up against the hard plastic seat bottom and the strap gets cut.  If that is the case, the seat his holding the battery down.  I can't even pull up on it while it is hooked up to the cables at all.  It is in there pretty good.  

It depends but I still don’t want the seat as what’s holding it in alone. Sometimes the seat also rubbs against the battery cable connectors too so it also depends on the bike too and what play might be there. Still just making the battery secure the way it was designed is fine to me. . It’s whatever way so it’s just secure. Any extra rattling around only invites damage for the battery . Im not sure what might have the rubber band break in one bike more than another. Im guessing it’s just the particular rubber band. No bigee. Secure how one likes. I like the stocker one works. I don’t need to cut a zip tie. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
1 person likes this

I agree.  I will go home tonight and strap the thing down and leave nothing to chance.  The bike goes upside down in the snow a lot more than it does in the dirt so having it not move is a good idea and why the strap-that broke, was there in the first place. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I agree.  I will go home tonight and strap the thing down and leave nothing to chance.  The bike goes upside down in the snow a lot more than it does in the dirt so having it not move is a good idea and why the strap-that broke, was there in the first place. 

Yea dirtbikes take a beating in what we see and don’t see. There’s always little things breaking on whatever brand bike. It’s a constant battle to maintain and upgrade little elements all through the bike and many times replacing same parts multiple times. That’s just dirt bikes. It’s a pain in the ass if I feel lazy and don’t want to spend the required time maintaining sometimes. It bites you in the ass if you don’t constantly keep up though. It’s lots of little stuff mostly.. yesterday I spent for new rear brake pads and a gas cap vent hose. A couple days before I bought a rear wheel bearings cap. In this case this simple little battery holder prevents a broken battery and more problems later. It’s fun too figuring mods to make your bike better.

Wow, I had ordered this on May 17 and I just got it the other day.  

The new replacement seems thicker than the original.  

I had looked under the seat after I had installed the new strap and could not see how the seat would contact the strap at all, even when sitting on the seat and pressing down on it.  I think the original strap was just weak and not made out of a good material and probably why I had to wait so long for the new one.  In any case, I'll see how long this strap will last.  

I was thinking its the seam where they connected it into a loop.