Rubber battery hold down broke a long time ago and have never replaced, should I replace it?

2 hours ago, TroutRunner said:

I've run mine for over 105 hours and 2100 miles without the strap.  No issues, no complaints.  Found the O-ring strap in the box of goodies when I bought it, but had no idea what it was until now. 

Class:smirk:ic 

I've had the hair ties in for a while now and they have been doing a great job.  

I added two more so now there are two on each side because, why not?  

I had run for at least a year with no strap or anything on the battery as the 7 second tipover sensor located right above the battery seemed to keep the battery in place but when I took the battery out for the first time I can see that there is wear on the case from some small movement from rougher trails or the few times that the bike has gone down or even upside down in the snow.  

Earlier this summer I found my battery strap laying in the battery box broken and replaced it with a new one.  I just opened up the air box and found the new one was also broken.  WTF?

Surferdude make a good point/had provided a (possible) explanation and that is, it could very well be that the seat bottom, when compressed, smashes into the rubber o-ring and the top corner of the battery and ends up cutting the o-ring.  

I will no longer be wasting my time and money or chasing Beta for a solution but rather, have adopted his idea of using hair bands to secure the battery.  I have had them on for at least a month, maybe 2 and they are working perfectly, for free as my brother no longer has any hair and left dozens of them in a bathroom.  Otherwise I'd just clip my wife's or daughter's.