Introverted Riders?

I can totally relate, looks like I'm not the only introvert . I do enjoy riding with people but a lack of riding partners doesn't keep me off the trail. At 51 and more of a pleasure rider than a go fast all the time rider that also limits riding partners. It has crossed my mind about piling it up hard and being stuck but it's just a fleeting thought. I also hunt alone, almost always. I really enjoy that but hiking out of the woods with meat in a pack in Griz country HAS worried me but I still do it.  I had a like minded friend who I rode with for years until a heart attack took him. Miss those times.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Grimlock said:

I ride alone the majority of the time. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I work a rotating shift and don’t have every weekend off like most folks. The rest is the fact that I am quite introverted and not the most social person in the world. I have a few friends that ride and it is nice to get out with them when we can make it happen but I do enjoy my solo rides. 

People will mention the dangers of getting hurt while out on your own, but I don’t worry too much. I used to roll back the risk taking when riding solo but not so much now. I usually don’t carry a SPOT or a phone either. I figure there is more risk in riding on the street with all of the distracted drivers out there. Saying that, I don’t have any dependants and I am also not married. 

You only get one life and I don’t have enough years left to only ride when others can accompany me. If you are comfortable with the risk of solo riding, then go for it. Considering you have a spouse you may want to consider her comfort level as well. SPOT locators and such can go a long ways to alleviating the worry of others concerned for your safety. 

I would at LEAST carry a phone...

Joe

I ride alone 99% of the time on purpose, because I enjoy it. I'm in Sales and not an Introvert at all, I've rode with groups and friends in the past and had a great time doing it but its more enjoyable and peaceful to me to usually just do an unplanned ride alone, never know where or how far just depends on how much time I have (I never ride further than 200 miles from home so far and always just day rides, home by dark). I always tell my family where I'm going, how long I'll be gone and carry a cell phone and where I live in North TX you'll have to drive alot farther than I do to lose any service for text messaging at least. I find after a busy week of working and being on the computer/phone I can take my DRZ out for a few hours on dirt or pavement and come home feeling brand new, best therapy I've found yet lol. I've got nothing against group rides though at all, just wanted to share my 2 cents so you know you're not flying solo pun intended lol.

Edited by JD1469
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, LSHD said:

Actually you can learn to reduce your introverted tendencies using basic behavior modification. In this case, riding with others. Practice will make it easier, if not more desirable. And peoples brains change over time. Introversion often goes away with age. This combination of a changing brain and changing behaviors can work together to create a large change in individuals.

From what I learned the other day, you are correct, however you will still be an introvert. Applies to some, and  you have to work at it.

Gunna study this stuff a little at work, it will either be interesting or really shit.

Riding bikes is cheaper therapy than a bar, recreational drugs or Psychiatrist. Time alone or with a friend (s) always helps clear the head and makes for a better friendship. In 1983 I was racing desert enduros. Talk about fun and exercise! I changed jobs and had Tuesday and Wednesday off on graveyard. For some reason mid week enduro's just do not happen. I contemplated my dilema  and bought an XL500 and rode in the National Forest behind my house. While riding I had time to think about all the other persons who do not want to race, but to have the comaraderie riding provides.  My brain went into "what if" mode and put together a "self guided tour" using an enduro type roll chart and using turn mileages and directional arrows on the chart. No time to start, not time to finish. It could be done by anybody on any day.

Was I the first?, yes...and no, but I kept at it and kept knocking on doors and selling the idea for a commercial venture. It grew and today it is known as "Dual Sport", a name I coined instead of "Dual Purpose". That was 35 years ago. It was not an easy sell at the beginning but persistance paid dividends over the years. It caught on and clubs started forming their own rides based on my collective ideas with improvements along the way.

"Dual" as in street and dirt, "Sport" as a non-competitive ride venue. Join a club that inspires you to be creative. It is not the destination, but the adventure along the way.

• Like 1

Biggest problem for me is finding like skilled riders to go with. I'm decent but older and dont want to hold anyone back. Neither do I want to get into a situation over my head. Easy to do following a better rider. And spare me "riding with faster riders up's your skill level" speech lol. I'm as good as I'm gonna get!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BushPig said:

From what I learned the other day, you are correct, however you will still be an introvert. Applies to some, and  you have to work at it.

Gunna study this stuff a little at work, it will either be interesting or really shit.

I think something that is key for introverts (which I am, but much less now in my 50s than as a kid) is to not judge oneself negatively against extroverts. They have their personality and it works for them. We have our personality and it works for us. I enjoy solitude, riding alone, deep thought, etc. Introversion is not a negative for me except when I let it prevent me from reaching out to others when it would be beneficial in some way. I don't crave constant interaction with others (except on here) and love the hell out of my life. :ride:

• Like 1

I work a rotating schedule so its tough to find regular riding buddies but there out there. over the years ive acquired a lot of riding friends in the tri state area. just post up on the regional forms here, be honest about your skill level and intentions. most people are cool and if their not don't call them back. organized rides and riding legal spots are good places to meet people. most riders are talkers so don't worry about being an introvert and if you meet them at the riding spot youll spend most of the time riding.

Good Post,

I ride to relax and clear my head.  I find other riders often stress me out by riding too close or doing other stupid shit and I have to be constantly aware of them.  I have a couple of guys that I will ride with but when we plan rides, I usually do the recce on the route ahead of time and then take them on the ride.

I also ride with my sons and we tend to find great backroads and trails and often try and find a small country store or coffee shop where we can have a coffee or a pie.  My wife will ride with me on occaision but the bike is really my thing and I know she is just humouring me to spend some time together.

I ride in remote areas where there are few people and no cell coverage.  I leave a map with my rough route and return times so if I don't show up someone will know where to start looking for me.

Embrace the solitude of the experience....but be open to share it with others.

• Like 3