Can anyone provide some guidance in how to wire a KTM 250 xc-w for lights. I have already purchased a rear brake light and blinkers. My understanding based on some of the kits I have seen which I don't like because they include lights and blinkers that I do not want. These are the parts I have assembled but need the wire harness and a diagram on how it all connects to battery including any fuses or rectifiers or anything else I would need. I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Below are some of the parts I found:

Motorcycle 2Pin 11-15V LED Turn Light Flasher Blinker Relay Signal Controller ($5.92)
Motorcycle 2Pin 11-15V LED Turn Light Flasher Blinker Relay Signal Controller 6107931728455 | eBay

Motorcycle Rear Set Hydraulic Pressure Brake Light Switch Banjo Cable 10x1.25mm ($7.99)
Motorcycle Rear Set Hydraulic Pressure Brake Light Switch Banjo Cable 10x1.25mm | eBay

2pc lights Strip 6LED Baomabao Mini Strip Black led motorcycle Turn signal Universal Amber (1.99)
put these in inside
https://www.amazon.com/lights-Baomabao-motorcycle-signal-Universal/dp/B075WRKH8N/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1524592870&sr=1-11&keywords=turn+signal+motorcycle

Dirt Enduro Bike LED Rear Fender Brake Tail Light Turn Signal Off-road For KTM(12.31)
Dirt Enduro Bike LED Rear Fender Brake Tail Light Turn Signal Off-road For KTM | eBay

Pair Universal 7/8' Motorcycle Handlebar Switch Horn Turn Signal Light Control(11.49)
A Pair Universal 7/8' Motorcycle Handlebar Switch Horn Turn Signal Light Control 970232175893 | eBay

12V Waterproof Loud 105dB Universal Motorcycle Car Bike ATVs Horn Black (6.50)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Waterp...651699&hash=item33e6a5501d:g:26YAAOSwEsRaxvq3.

As you can see getting all the parts separately is a bit less that buying a kit which has parts I don't want. What I am missing here is the main wire harness to connect everything together and a diagram on how to do this. Also need to know where I need add fuses or anything else so I don't drain my battery. thanks for any help piecing this together.

John

Hi John,

I have a 2017 XC 300 and created a custom street legal kit as well and went to the Decatur DMV to get it inspected and registered.

I ordered the Tusk Enduro Wiring Harness and it has worked great for the last year and half.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1156/25860/Tusk-Enduro-Lighting-Kit-Replacement-Wire-Harness

It came with directions that helped tie it all together.

I didn’t use any of the stock wiring.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the info I think this is exactly what I am looking for, are the connections compatible with KTM? and were instructions pretty straight forward?.  What about the wire that senses that you have applied pressure to the brake pedal for rear light, I believe may have listed that a 10mm Banjo bolt?  I presume you just leave the existing default wire harness for the headlight and rear light, or did you remove that wiring?. Hey thanks for your help.  

John 

That kit should have directions that indicate which harness wires go to the brake pressure switch (banjo bolt).  It may or may not have the right connector for your brake switch, as they cannot guess which style you bought. When you buy the Tusk kit though, you specify which bike you have, so the other connectors for the headlight and taillight should mate up.  It will have wires that plug into your existing headlight harness and rear light harness.  Those connectors are found just behind the headlight, and the rear light connector will be near the battery or airbox area.   If you bought your own turn signal/horn switch, flasher module, etc off ebay, then you may have to do some splicing where the connectors don't mate.

Personally, I chose to use the existing bike's harness, and I bought some proper connectors from Digikey to avoid cutting/splicing into the stock harness.  By doing this, I added a high beam switch (stock headlight only used the low beam).  I added a brake pressure switch to enable the stop lamp (stock uses only the tail light).  I added a separate white LED for the license plate lamp. Added a horn and button for it.  I also added an ignition key to interrupt the estart button and prevent kickstarting.  

Since the Tusk harness probably won't be plug-and-play with the components you bought, you may want to use the existing harness.  If so, shown below is the wiring diagram for an EXC with turn signals.  The diagram for the XCW is similar, but without turn signals.

EXC_page1.JPG

EXC_page2.JPG

EXC_page3.JPG

EXC_page4.JPG

I did the same as farmboybunk for my xc, worked out great.

Hey thanks for the info I think this is exactly what I am looking for, are the connections compatible with KTM? and were instructions pretty straight forward?.  What about the wire that senses that you have applied pressure to the brake pedal for rear light, I believe may have listed that a 10mm Banjo bolt?  I presume you just leave the existing default wire harness for the headlight and rear light, or did you remove that wiring?. Hey thanks for your help.  
John 

The Tusk electrical connections are not compatible with the Stock KTM electrical connections.
I would recommend deciding if you want to integrate your street legal kit with the Stock KTM wiring or not.
Most likely either way you’re going to need to buy electrical connections. Either KTM style or Tusk, because I’m guessing all the random parts you bought don’t currently have compatible electrical connections for either KTM or Tusk.
The Tusk instruction are pretty straightforward with pictures and diagrams.
Here’s a link to the Tusk Brake Switch for $15 that directly connects to their wiring harness.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1195/25924/Tusk-Hydraulic-Brake-Switch-Brembo-Brakes
Enduro Engineering also makes one that directly connects to the Stock KTM wiring, but it is $37.
If you go with the Tusk set up I would recommend using their compact control handle bar switch. It directly plugs into their wiring harness.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1195/25861/Tusk-Compact-Control-Switch-With-Headlight-Options
I did leave the stock wiring in place and untouched.
The Tusk set up on my bike is completely stand alone. If I removed it, you would never know it had been in stalled on my bike.
I like being able to return my bike to stock if I ever want to.
  • Like 1

Farmboybunk,

I was just getting ready to purchase the wire harness you mention (link below)  but realizing they don't list KTM, just Honda and Yamaha, was that the case when you ordered,  are connections the same for KTM?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1156/25860/Tusk-Enduro-Lighting-Kit-Replacement-Wire-Harness

Thanks

john

Hi John,

I went and checked my Rocky Mountain ATV purchase history. The wiring harness I purchased is item number 1274940001

Tusk Enduro Lighting Kit Replacement Wire Harness and I ordered it for a 2005 KTM 300 EXC.

I remember now that I could not find the 2017 KTM under fitment either and entered in the 2005 KTM knowing it’s a universal wiring harness and most likely didn’t even matter what brand I ordered it for. As it’s just wire and universal Tusk electrical connections.

I can confirm though, that if you enter in 2005 KTM 300 EXC works great with with the newer KTM’s.