Seat issues

So last fall I got a seat concepts seat after a couple long days in the saddle killing my tailbone with the stock seat. I think it's better but was riding for maybe four hours today and my ass was killing me by the time I was about home. Thinking about using my mountain bike chamois or getting a sheepskin? Maybe selling the seat concepts and sending my stock seat to Fisher to get redone? Any suggestions?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scottg07 said:

So last fall I got a seat concepts seat after a couple long days in the saddle killing my tailbone with the stock seat. I think it's better but was riding for maybe four hours today and my ass was killing me by the time I was about home. Thinking about using my mountain bike chamois or getting a sheepskin? Maybe selling the seat concepts and sending my stock seat to Fisher to get redone? Any suggestions?

My average ride was about 75mi. and all dirt. I mixed it up......some sitting, some standing and stopping a walking around and taking pictures. I've read a kazillion posts about sore butts and there is no answer......honestly. After a long ride like that, my shoulders would also start to ache a bit, along with my neck.......shit happens.

Keep the Seat Concepts.....it's a well made seat and it's comfortable. Ride more and get a "tough butt".......:cool:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scottg07 said:

I do stand up but I think the gripper seat makes it worse, my ass wants to slide but the seat sorta holds my pants and I still move..

I got the smooth cover on my SC seat cuz I like to slide back and forth when doing twisties in the woods. My SC seat is a few years old now and is still breaking in, wish I had opted for the softer foam

I got the smooth cover on my SC seat cuz I like to slide back and forth when doing twisties in the woods. My SC seat is a few years old now and is still breaking in, wish I had opted for the softer foam
I get that, like to slide around a little too. Will swap back to the stocker and see how it feels comparatively
  • Like 1

Night and day difference for me between the stock and a seat concepts. The stocker would make my nuts numb in 30 mins. it was like seating on a 2x4.

The SC requires a bit of standing up on long rides to relieve pressure on the butt, like Bumtarder said the more you ride the faster your butt gets used to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottg07 said:

I have a maddog seat cover actually, used it for a long tour on my sportster. I'd use it on the drz but I'm not trying to make the thing any taller!

The previous owner of my Z was a riding buddy of mine, I had cut the foam down in the seat for him cuz he's short. When I got the bike, I took the cover off and built up the area I had cut out with computer mouse pads, used it like that for a few years 'til I got the SC seat. If you think you are capable, try taking the stock seat cover off, and, depending on your inseam, add some soft foam on top of the existing foam, and re-cover it. If you have short legs, cut some of the stiff stock foam out 1st, then add some cushy stuff and see what happens... won't cost you much $$$, if any

I have a Corbin seat that is nice to the booty all day long. It is wider in the back for road sections but still not too wide in the front.
I apply AandD ointment liberally when I ride my other bike on longer rides.
Ointment in the back, powder in the front. Dreamy.
Corbin is definitely worth looking into.

1 hour ago, Hoosier-Daddy said:

I have a Corbin seat that is nice to the booty all day long. It is wider in the back for road sections but still not too wide in the front.
I apply AandD ointment liberally when I ride my other bike on longer rides.
Ointment in the back, powder in the front. Dreamy.
Corbin is definitely worth looking into.

Does the Corbin only come in a low seat?  The pictures all look low. 

Does the Corbin only come in a low seat?  The pictures all look low. 

Good question. I’m not sure. It was on the bike when I bought it and I am short. Works great for me. It is kind of slick though. The guy I bought it it from made gnarly single track look easy. I mainly just use this drz for a back road cruiser.

On my zzr 1200 i had a Corbin (lower than stock) but it was also wider so it didnt make much difference. Corbin are good but no fantastic either. I did many many 650 miles per day ride and after a few hundred miles my butt was hurting anyway.
Corbins are ok but also quite expensiveFB_IMG_1526073523705.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LoLoSama said:

Corbin are good but no fantastic either.

I have a 96 Buell and it came with a Corbin seat. It is LESS comfortable than the stock seat!!!

Old man Corbin makes the Michelin Man look like an Auschwitz survivor. :facepalm:

On 5/10/2018 at 8:55 PM, Scottg07 said:

Wear cycling shorts under your protective gear. The pad helps prevent monkey butt and other undesirable side effects of distance cycling.

I do have to add that the stock seat on my FXDL is a dream on long trips. :ride:

• Like 1

Night and day difference for me between the stock and a seat concepts. The stocker would make my nuts numb in 30 mins. it was like seating on a 2x4.
The SC requires a bit of standing up on long rides to relieve pressure on the butt, like Bumtarder said the more you ride the faster your butt gets used to it.
Okay so after swapping the stocker back in, yeah the seat concepts really is significantly more comfortable but obviously not perfect. Will be trying my padded bicycle shorts and see how that goes.
  • Like 1