Ronny T

Some newbie bike suggestions

Hi 

Looking into getting into mtb as a side thing for summer exercise; I keep myself fairly busy and broke between dirt bikes and jet skis so definitely looking on the cheap side of bikes which doesn't seem to be fully realistic.  

I'm 6' 1" with long legs and finding a bigger frame bike used is difficult and usually out of my price range. I'm looking for a hard trail mild suspension do it all kind of bike with the least amount of maintenance possible. Single speed looked good for that reason

I really just want something that feels the most like a dirtbike as the main purpose is exercise and scouting new trails to ride on with the dirt bike without getting noise complaints right away and fouling spark plugs in the sticker bushes

I got a e-mail about this bike (GT aggressor) it was priced new for 300$ on their flash sale so I was thinking next time it dropped to that price about buying wondering opinions about that quality

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/gt-mens-aggressor-pro-mountain-bike-17gtxmggrssrprxxxprf/17gtxmggrssrprxxxprf

I'm open to any suggestions on used bikes, seems like there's a lot of brands and models but anything to narrow down the search so I don't have to scroll through pages of people selling rusted huffy mountain bikes on craigslist

thanks for the help

Before you buy a new but low end bike, consider a used quality bike from places like Craigslist, etc. Hardtails are good for climbing but not too good on the bumpy stuff like roots and rocks, unless it's a "plus" or "fat" bike that has enough tire depth for absorbing the bumps

Look for a good 1x10 plus bike in your budget, they are out there. Good luck

As a potential new comer to the sport, I learned about the PinkBike classifieds today. Seem a lot nicer and more trustworthy than Craigslist.

If your town has a bike swap (Albuquerque here) it's the time to get a new bike. Usually the best deals going anywhere. And yes, pinkbike is good.

Pinkbike is the best for high end bikes....but I'd hesitate to send somebody there that is not familiar with bikes, it's just as easy to get a pile of crap as it is a good deal.  Do your homework, understand what may be needed, how it was ridden, etc.

I'd advise against single speed unless you have flat trails, they are difficult to ride unless you are in good shape on anything that resembles a mountain.

A good place to start is a 1x10/11 hardtail to get your feet wet, meet some local dudes and find out what they run in the area, bike shops, who has a bike for sale, etc.

• Like 1

I see hard tails recommended a lot to new rider, but why? Ease of setup and maintenance? 

1 hour ago, Horgh said:

I see hard tails recommended a lot to new rider, but why? Ease of setup and maintenance? 

One less thing to screw with and why spend $$ when you don't really know what you want yet.  Depending on your skillset, it takes a bit to progress to being able to use a FS bike to it's potential also....being a moto guy, that will come quicker than most, but a HT usually is a good place to start with minimal $$.

6 minutes ago, Oregon Comrade said:

One less thing to screw with and why spend $$ when you don't really know what you want yet.  Depending on your skillset, it takes a bit to progress to being able to use a FS bike to it's potential also....being a moto guy, that will come quicker than most, but a HT usually is a good place to start with minimal $$.

Got it, that makes sense. I am definitely faced with a tough decision on suspension travel right now, as I don't really know what I'll be into. I actually have a question about that, I'll post in a separate thread. 

Edited by Horgh

On 3/5/2019 at 4:01 PM, Horgh said:

Many reasons... initial cost, setup  ease, maintenance and mostly climbing effectiveness. You'e be surprised how much a rear suspended bike soaks up you power when climbing a hill.