Replacing skid plate for DRZ400

Hi all,

Looking to replace the original skidplate to a bigger and more enclosing one than the original+the plastic side covers on my DRZ400S.

My reference is a alu-plate I mounted on my KTM 990 SMR, that is really soft - too soft IMO - to do any more protection than from splashing water... It's orange and more bling than anything else unfortunately. It might be three mm thick.

Is there any rule of thumb to apply to skid plates with respect to thickness?
How thick should a skid plate be to actually protect, keeping in mind it's a not too heavy DRZ400.

Would four mm do, or should I look for something thicker?

Thoughts and comments greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

I bought the Devol  for mine and really happy with it. The quality and fit was excellent and I have hit it hard, rocks, and logs. It's 4mm thick which seems adequate.

Edited by joeknowgood
  • Like 1

I have a thin, ugly ass UFO looking aluminum plate that came on my bike.  It works pretty well though.  I dropped it going around a corner on pavement and it scratched it up and made terrible sounds as it was sliding across the street but is still fine.  I'd like to swap it to a plastic or carbon fiber model though (for purely noise and aesthetic reasons). 

Another happy Devol customer here.  They also redesigned the mounting system a while back so the install is even easier than before.

13 hours ago, roleyrev said:

B&B Offroad - built like a bit brick $h1thouse.  I have two - one for dressing nice for the street - in black and one for offroading in silver.

Holy something or other!
How thick is that one??

16 hours ago, bumtarder said:

Thumpertalk store offers an aluminum one for the drz.

Yupp, first place I checked!

The price is ok, but the s&h to Sweden is quite prohibitive unfortunately.
I can't quite justify the extra cost. :-(

Just looked at Devol. Looks good, but way more pricey than anything else I've seen so far. Also, they don't seem to ship to Sweden.

@xxdabroxx, you mentioned a plastic or carbon fibre skidplate. Is the rationale going with this material just aesthetics, or something else as well?
I'm thinking plastic will have to be a lot thicker to offer the same level of protection as a aluminium plate, so maybe both weight and ground clearance may become a problem going plastic.

Edited by adrian_vg

1 hour ago, adrian_vg said:

Holy something or other!
How thick is than one??

The B&B one measures about 5mm thick. It has reinforced mount points - a little finicky to fit to the bike but when you get the hang of it, it works really well.  I also cut some closed cell foam to fit between the frame and plate to stop the noise and the dirt from getting in that space.

• Like 1

The B&B looks awesome, price and s&h seems fair enough given the looks, but have a problem with the low sides on it.

Considering this one instead; https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-DR-Z-400-ALLOY-ENGINE-BASH-GUARD-PLATE-PROTECTOR-SKID-COLOURS/182418038069?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649.
This model would allow for loosing the current ridiculous plastic side covers as well on my DRZ.

s-l500.jpg.4ec67a30c3a599d905c22052ce47631c.jpg

Hi all,
Looking to replace the original skidplate to a bigger and more enclosing one than the original+the plastic side covers on my DRZ400S.
My reference is a alu-plate I mounted on my KTM 990 SMR, that is really soft - too soft IMO - to do any more protection than from splashing water... It's orange and more bling than anything else unfortunately. It might be three mm thick.
Is there any rule of thumb to apply to skid plates with respect to thickness?
How thick should a skid plate be to actually protect, keeping in mind it's a not too heavy DRZ400.
Would four mm do, or should I look for something thicker?
Thoughts and comments greatly appreciated!
Yep perfect...20180515_160552.jpg20180515_160902.jpg
  • Like 2

The plastic ones are supposed to reflect less engine noise and mine is butt ugly. I think plastic would also be good for sliding over stuff. Not that I do anything that hard core with my DRZ anymore though. 

• Like 1

I like the TM Designs stuff. I think plastic makes good sense. https://tmdesignworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=325_327_355&products_id=1140

However, I am pretty happy with my Tonn's Racing and how it uses the existing threaded holes on the side of the frame for mounting.

Edited by Bermudacat
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, xxdabroxx said:

The plastic ones are supposed to reflect less engine noise and mine is butt ugly. I think plastic would also be good for sliding over stuff. Not that I do anything that hard core with my DRZ anymore though. 

Ah, of course! Plastic is a "deader" material than metals.

Same reason why carbon fibre slipons have that bassier sound compared to aluminium/titanium/stainless slipons!

• Like 1