No OIL = No PROBLEM ??

Hi guys,
couple of weeks back I had reassembled the engine of my DR350SE and properly filled it with oil according to the manual. Last night, after driving it for around 300km I noticed some engine oil on the block itself. It looked like it came from the clutch lever and also from the starter motor bearing (probably when it was laying on the side when I ghosted it few times). Therefore, I decided to check the oil level... and the dipstick was dry. It took whopping 400-500ml just to get it back to the norm!!! 

I have two questions now... Where/how that much oil could have gone, and how much damage could this have causes my poor DR?? 
Thanks!

1700 ml is the correct amount

so it still had 1200 - 1300 ml still in it which is enough - just keep an eye on it   :excuseme:

NECESSARY AMOUNT OF ENGINE OIL 
Oil change: 1 700 ml ( 1 .8/1 .5 US/Imp qt) 
Filter change: 1 900 ml (2.0/1 .7 US/Imp qt) 
Overhaul engine: 2 1 00 ml (2.2/1 .8 US/Imp qt)

 

After the overhaul I've put around 2100ml, so it was running with 1600ml, I think. I'll check the compression to see if there was any damage to the piston/cylinder.

On 5/14/2018 at 9:39 AM, edmuliz said:

NECESSARY AMOUNT OF ENGINE OIL 
Oil change: 1 700 ml ( 1 .8/1 .5 US/Imp qt) 
Filter change: 1 900 ml (2.0/1 .7 US/Imp qt) 
Overhaul engine: 2 1 00 ml (2.2/1 .8 US/Imp qt)

 

After the overhaul I've put around 2100ml, so it was running with 1600ml, I think. I'll check the compression to see if there was any damage to the piston/cylinder.

how would you perform a compression check with an auto-compression release motor?

check your airbox & air boot for oil

37 minutes ago, plugeye said:

how would you perform a compression check with an auto-compression release motor?

check your airbox & air boot for oil

How come? Either way, compression was just fine. The guys at motoshop also reassured that it's not much of a deal to drive with super-low oil.

Now the question is where it all go... How to check if I'm burning oil? Exhaust gasses seem fine tho.

9 minutes ago, edmuliz said:

 The guys at motoshop also reassured that it's not much of a deal to drive with super-low oil.

 

dont trust these guys, super low oil=trashed top end

6 minutes ago, plugeye said:

dont trust these guys, super low oil=trashed top end

Well, they do have good reputation. Part of the reasoning was that the oil circulates anyway.

17159546564_1567d9a6b2_c.jpg

19810995003_2f64fcf23e_b.jpg

this is the result of operating with too low oil level

 

Looks terrible! Do you know how many km it was driven with low oil and how much oil actually was there?

7 minutes ago, edmuliz said:

Looks terrible! Do you know how many km it was driven with low oil and how much oil actually was there?

sorry, i dont know. the fellow i bought the heap from said he was riding it, started making noise & top end seized.

but its all to common for these engines when the oil level is too low

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now