XT vs. RR, for those who have ridden both

I have recently quit racing to focus more on the technical side of riding, and I was thinking about either adding an XT as a second bike or replacing my 300RR.  I love my 300rr.  I thought about getting a trials bike, but I am not sure it would get much use.  I am a half way decent technical rider.  I can make it through pretty much anything.  Just can't make it through with a ton grace and style all the time.  For those of you that have ridden both an XT and RR or RE, how are the bike similar?  How are they different?  Do they handle/feel the same? 

• Like 1

You may find if you get a trials bike the other ones don't get much use. At least that is what happened to me. I got a Beta Evo 290 and now everything else feels so big and clumsy.
As for your question, it will depend a lot on how you want to ride. The xtrainer is sprung and valved for more trials type riding. If that's your goal, it's much better than the stiffer 300rr. But so many people buy one and want to go fast on it then complain it's too soft. If you're one of those I'd stick to the rr. Me, I'm all about precision and traction any more. Put those wheels where they need to be and roll over obstacles without spinning. That's where the xtrainer really shines. But the Evo is even better!

• Like 3

The xt is good in technical terrain, but not as good as a trials bike. It's not great at speed, the rr is a better bet to stick to if you enjoy riding fast. Buy a cheap trials bike and give it a try :)

19 hours ago, jpbova said:

I have recently quit racing to focus more on the technical side of riding, and I was thinking about either adding an XT as a second bike or replacing my 300RR.  I love my 300rr.  I thought about getting a trials bike, but I am not sure it would get much use.  I am a half way decent technical rider.  I can make it through pretty much anything.  Just can't make it through with a ton grace and style all the time.  For those of you that have ridden both an XT and RR or RE, how are the bike similar?  How are they different?  Do they handle/feel the same? 

I'd say practice technical riding with your rr. You have it already and it costs you nothing.  Lots of trials riders fool around on their enduro bikes. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Since you converted to the KYB that tells me the XT is not for you. A trials bike will help your technical skills but not needed as you can do the same on the RR. However a trials bike will boost your confidence riding very slow and limit broken parts. Rocks, roots and other trail items are more difficult with the trials because of the steeper steering rake. Don't get me wrong trials are fun but for me it will never replace my endure bike,,,,, never!

Edited by weantright
  • Like 2

A XT is smaller than the RR!

thats it all!

when you want the power like the XT, take the XT exhaust and the distance part for the exhaust controll! 

Its fine

I got a trials bike to learn technique. It helped a a lot. What was nice was I lived in town and could practice in my yard without stirring up my neighborhood. You can have fun on a trials bike with out much space. Just being able to come home from work a playing around the yard for a bit was great. Now I live in the sticks so I just pull out the RR and my trials bike usually sits. I also have an Xt and don't ride it, I can do anything on my RR that I can the Xt.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2018 at 0:02 PM, Sierra_rider said:

Get a cheap used trials bike and join a local club...you technical skills will grow exponentially more than if you just rode a Xtrainer.

I did exactly this ^

On 5/15/2018 at 10:36 AM, weantright said:

Since you converted to the KYB that tells me the XT is not for you. A trials bike will help your technical skills but not needed as you can do the same on the RR. However a trials bike will boost your confidence riding very slow and limit broken parts. Rocks, roots and other trail items are more difficult with the trials because of the steeper steering rake. Don't get me wrong trials are fun but for me it will never replace my endure bike,,,,, never!

I ended up picking up a mid 2000's Sherco 250 trials bike for $1800. 

Edited by jpbova
  • Like 3