Wheelie Advice Needed

I learned to wheelie on a four wheeler/quad bike. I can wheelie it for well over 5 minutes when I have space. I have no problem with the feeling of being over backwards, and I know how to cover my rear brake. The only problem is I can't seem to stay upright during the wheelie. I always pull off to one side and end up putting the front down to keep from tipping over.

I have been working on my wheelies for about a week, and have no problem getting up to balance point using throttle only, or doing a clutch-up. I just need tips, tricks, or advice for keeping myself upright instead of on my side.

-Thanks SLR

Edited by Fanga Dagen

Wheelies are for getting your front end up over obstacles.  Otherwise they are pointless.  More people get hurt doing pointless wheelies than any other stupid stunt.  Search around on this forum for awhile and you will see what I mean.

Learn to ride instead.

Wheelies are fun. But not applicable to the trail however the control learned from balance, braking, clutch and confidence on one wheel transfers over to the trail very well. However, I realize the real question your asking.... I have asked it before..... and gotten no answers. I think it's basically as another has said, mo practice. However, I expect that the same core movements that it takes to ride a bike with no hands is the same core movements needed for wheelies. And I should state that I don't do fast wheelies, only slow wheelies, therefore, I am not a good one to offer advice

practise makes perfect. I borrowed my friend 110 so I can learn how to keep it at 12 o clock with my feet down. the number one thing you need to learn is how to use the brake to bring it down and keep your balance. otherwise you loop out and break your ass and back fender. if you hit the brake to hard you could go over the bars and smash your private parts. so just make sure your not around cars and people lol you will fall if your actually tryin

On 5/14/2018 at 1:10 PM, 1gr8bldr said:

Wheelies are fun. But not applicable to the trail however the control learned from balance, braking, clutch and confidence on one wheel transfers over to the trail very well. However, I realize the real question your asking.... I have asked it before..... and gotten no answers. I think it's basically as another has said, mo practice. However, I expect that the same core movements that it takes to ride a bike with no hands is the same core movements needed for wheelies. And I should state that I don't do fast wheelies, only slow wheelies, therefore, I am not a good one to offer advice

On 5/14/2018 at 11:40 AM, Fanga Dagen said:

I learned to wheelie on a four wheeler/quad bike. I can wheelie it for well over 5 minutes when I have space. I have no problem with the feeling of being over backwards, and I know how to cover my rear brake. The only problem is I can't seem to stay upright during the wheelie. I always pull off to one side and end up putting the front down to keep from tipping over.

I have been working on my wheelies for about a week, and have no problem getting up to balance point using throttle only, or doing a clutch-up. I just need tips, tricks, or advice for keeping myself upright instead of on my side.

-Thanks SLR

This is a good spot for your wheelie questions and wheelie answers.

As for OP, you are tipping left/right because you are not locking your core and staying straight over the bike. If you take a leg off, you will turn. Practice slow controlled wheelies standing and sitting. Although long wheelies are impractical to actual riding, they do give you a great sense of balance. 

Refer to the thread and read. It will answer most if not all of your questions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The only guys that hate on wheelies are the ones that can't do them. And to the guy that said wheelies are only for lifting the front end over things, other than that they're useless. True, wheelies are strictly for fun. But isn't that why you ride in the first place? If you need any tips ask me and I'll help you 

Edited by BrandonCR125
  • Like 1

I used to live by a long straight dirtroad. I used to love to go and catwalk my dirtbike as far as I could down that road. Riding the rear tire is alot of fun to me. I could actually "turn" while riding simply by shifting my weight to one side or the other. It's cool doing a mile long wheelie. Four strokes are alot easier to wheelie than two strokes due to the extra torque and linear power. I was on a 450.