BBA

supercross
Tony Alessi speaks,.....again!

52 posts in this topic

Just read the June issue of MXA and there's a short but good read about the Alessi's coming from Tony's point of view. I know a lot of it has been covered before but I think Tony has let his guard down a little more with not having to hover over his boys while they were racing here in the states. The thing that struck me the most is how he totally ballsed up by selling everything they owned to make a go at the Pro racing scene when both boys were still young. Like him or not Tony did what most of us would never do in quitting his job and pretty much resorted to living like racing gypsies in hopes to make a living which they have.

I know both Mike & Jeff have had some mental/maturity issues but think about how cool it would be if you were in the 9th grade and your dad came to you and said "hey pack up all of your shit, we are selling the house and going racing full time". It takes a pretty ballsy guy to do what he did imo.

14 people like this

Matthes did a podcast with him not too long ago as well.  It was really good. 

He seems so much less crazy now that he's not managing his sons. 

6 people like this

I would hate my parents to do that

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, mog said:

I would hate my parents to do that

Why Mog? Because at 14 you already wanted to distance yourself from them?

I love my dad but at 14 I don't think I could have traveled and lived with him in a motorhome. I can't relate to the super involved coachie type parents. That's not my folks. We are, or were, all pretty independent.

Edited by Hendricus
3 people like this

I don't think I would have wanted the pressure of knowing my parents risked it all on me , it sounds too much for a child or even an adult ?

11 people like this

12 minutes ago, Hendricus said:

Why Mog? Because at 14 you already wanted to distance yourself from them?

Maybe he wouldn't have wanted the pressure of supporting himself AND his parents at age 14.  Now racing isn't for fun, it's for putting food on the table.

1 minute ago, mog said:

I don't think I would have wanted the pressure of knowing my parents risked it all on me , it sounds too much for a child or even an adult ?

That's exactly what burnt RV out.

8 people like this

47 minutes ago, mog said:

Right there with ya.  No way I could allow my parents to up and sell everything they owned that they worked a lifetime for to take that chance.  There are too many Jessy Nelson type stories where any number of things can happen to make that decision the worst one ever.  Good for the Alessi's as it worked out.....I guess, but that is one hell of a Hail Mary if you ask me. 

6 people like this

It would be cool to have a dad that's that supportive, that's for sure!  He probably couldn't have done it without him.  I'm sure he's made plenty of cash, so looks like it's worked out great for their family.

1 person likes this

Mike and Jeff were home schooled Mon-Fri by Tony .

RV schooled then on Saturday. Can you imagine the nightmare that must have been for Camp Alessi ?

5 people like this

6 minutes ago, Biff Barf said:

Mike and Jeff were home schooled Mon-Fri by Tony .

Whats the story with their mother?

It’s the know a guy who knows a guy but he got my kid a signed Mile poster when he was younger and drove a little got the family.  He said Mike had a phone list everyday of kids in hospitals people that were super fans things signed for raffles and paints mike as pure class in private.  Nuff said by this guy for me. 

5 people like this

13 minutes ago, Babyarmholdingapple said:

It’s the know a guy who knows a guy but he got my kid a signed Mile poster when he was younger and drove a little got the family.  He said Mike had a phone list everyday of kids in hospitals people that were super fans things signed for raffles and paints mike as pure class in private.  Nuff said by this guy for me. 

If that’s true, I’ll relinquish some of my disrespect towards him.

(Not that it matters to anyone other than me)

3 people like this

2 hours ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

Right there with ya.  No way I could allow my parents to up and sell everything they owned that they worked a lifetime for to take that chance.  There are too many Jessy Nelson type stories where any number of things can happen to make that decision the worst one ever.  Good for the Alessi's as it worked out.....I guess, but that is one hell of a Hail Mary if you ask me

That was exactly my point in my original post. Tony, Mike and even Jeff made this happen because they evidently had the drive, ...and mostly Mike's talent,... to push forward for a very small chance in a very small industry for success.

For every story that worked out I bet 100 don't ,that's a lot of unhappy families

8 people like this

15 minutes ago, mog said:

For every story that worked out I bet 100 don't ,that's a lot of unhappy families

I used to loan my truck out to a family like that a few times a month when they went to out of town races. He was a buddy that took his son racing everywhere all of the time on a mfg worker salary and when his own truck got too clapped out to take his son racing he started asking to borrow mine which at first I didn't mind at all trying to help his son out as much as I could but then it got to the point to where my truck always came back on empty and full of garbage so I pulled the plug on that deal. Racing is most definitely not a cheap sport to be involved in with kids.

3 people like this

38 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

If that’s true, I’ll relinquish some of my disrespect towards him.

(Not that it matters to anyone other than me)

He swears by it and the guy is a really decent guy at the hospital I work at. 

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Babyarmholdingapple said:

I read this four times and still am not sure what you are trying to say. Not a grammar nazi, but damn...

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

I got into it with Tony at Starwest way back when Mike (and my kid) were on peewee's.  My kid holeshot the moto and when Mike came back into the pits Tony lost his mind on him.  Tony and I had some heated words about parenting and if it weren't for me being the better man and not wanting to head stomp him in front of my kid it would have gone to blows.  I have seen many other times when he treated those kids like shit.  IMO, it is no wonder those kids have such head noises.  I have no respect for the man.

Edited by yzernie
2 people like this

RV brought this up, his family went all in for his motocross career.  Eventually he had to fire his dad and go with the team manager. There was the family future on the line.

I think James Stewart burned out from the pressure of supporting a lot of people.

The Jones family was the original moto family. He pushed his two sons really hard.  He is also credited with most of the prototype work for the MX line which Yamaha hauled back to Japan and created the YZ line.

I know the father rolled the dice, but it seems like Mike and Jeff were under a lot of pressure.  I always thought if Mike cut ties when riding for KTM, he might have done better.

For me skiing went from a sport to a career.  Ski mechanic, ski instructor, ski school director, and mogul coach. Eventually it quit being fun, it was a job.  Several operations later, I had to walk away. Only a few make a good living at a sport.

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, Kev_XR said:

For me skiing went from a sport to a career.  Ski mechanic, ski instructor, ski school director, and mogul coach. Eventually it quit being fun, it was a job.  Several operations later, I had to walk away. Only a few make a good living at a sport.

Same.  This is exactly why I quit in high school.  

Nothing worse than climbing the hill in ski boots, drilling holes and setting gates, all the while your buddies are having a ton of fun.  I remember the moment like it was yesterday.  And, the high of winning is not nearly as the low of under performing.

1 person likes this