Sign in to follow this  

JNS Engineering headlight daytime light install

I purchased a JNS Engineering LED headlight for my 2009 DR-Z400S. The headlight comes with a main connection to hook up the low/high beam and also an extra wire that powers daytime running light bar. What I would like to do is wire that extra wire in for the daytime light to always be on. Then splice a toggle switch in to the headlight main connection to be able to toggle off the low/high beam (just daytime light on and low beam off). Would this be easy to do? What should I wire the daytime light in to and where should I splice a switch to the headlight?

14 hours ago, D-man1 said:

I purchased a JNS Engineering LED headlight for my 2009 DR-Z400S. The headlight comes with a main connection to hook up the low/high beam and also an extra wire that powers daytime running light bar. What I would like to do is wire that extra wire in for the daytime light to always be on. Then splice a toggle switch in to the headlight main connection to be able to toggle off the low/high beam (just daytime light on and low beam off). Would this be easy to do? What should I wire the daytime light in to and where should I splice a switch to the headlight?

You can do it, you just need to wire a switch in to the low beam lead, your high beam will still work with the handlebar switch, but your low beam will now be on a separate switch.

BUT!!!!!!

I don't recommend this from a safety standpoint, you want/need ppl to see you out there on the road.

Also there are 6 red LEDS that shine out the main beam hole when you illuminate the running light.  Its illegal where I am to have these going with bike running.  I wired mine into the park setting on the key switch this means that the bike can't run when the "park" light is on, but it can look cool in the carpark.  I used an automotive relay to break the circuit when the main light is on so that the red light can never shine with the bike running.

20180219_222234266_iOS.jpg

20180219_222250859_iOS.jpg

I definitely don’t want to decrease my visibility, I guess when the light comes in I will see how bright and visible the daytime light is before making my decision. Most of my riding is on trail during daytime though this is the only dirtbike I own that even has lights. 

Roleyrev, JNS thankfully discontinued the red lights and now the daytime running lights are identical pattern but all white. If your lights were white rather than red do you think that setting alone is enough for daytime visibility on the road? Would that light being on with your low beams at night be to much to look at? Thanks for the help. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, D-man1 said:

I definitely don’t want to decrease my visibility, I guess when the light comes in I will see how bright and visible the daytime light is before making my decision. Most of my riding is on trail during daytime though this is the only dirtbike I own that even has lights. 

Roleyrev, JNS thankfully discontinued the red lights and now the daytime running lights are identical pattern but all white. If your lights were white rather than red do you think that setting alone is enough for daytime visibility on the road? Would that light being on with your low beams at night be to much to look at? Thanks for the help. 

It would probably be ok for daytime - I'm a fan of running every light as it increases visibility and we have a law here (in New Zealand) that states when the bikes is running so does your low beam lighting.  Without modification I can't turn the low beam lights off.  That said I have noticed that the likes of BMW's have daytime running lights that are very reminiscent of the running light that are in the JNS (now that they are white). I'd say give it a go and see what you think.  You can always add in the low beam lights for added brightness.