2019 KTM

Why do people want a TPI 2 stroke? More weight, more complexity, more that can go wrong on the trail, adding complications to an otherwise simple system, as far as I know the only reason they were introduced is to pass emissions standards in Europe.  What are the actual benefits to the system?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MikeHassett said:

Why do people want a TPI 2 stroke? More weight, more complexity, more that can go wrong on the trail, adding complications to an otherwise simple system, as far as I know the only reason they were introduced is to pass emissions standards in Europe.  What are the actual benefits to the system?

For those unfamiliar with or unwilling to familiarize themselves with the jetting process crave the "plug and play" ease of FI. Europe is requiring it for emissions and lazy Americans will eat it up. The carbureted models will continue and their owners will get to brow beat the new tech so it's a Win-Win-Win.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MikeHassett said:

4strokes are Even more complicated, yet they somehow manage.

Joe

• Like 12

37 minutes ago, gators0037 said:

For those unfamiliar with or unwilling to familiarize themselves with the jetting process crave the "plug and play" ease of FI. Europe is requiring it for emissions and lazy Americans will eat it up. The carbureted models will continue and their owners will get to brow beat the new tech so it's a Win-Win-Win.

I have been told they have less of hit than the carbed bikes.  I see that as an advantage in desert racing with technical sections.  

I have been told they have less of hit than the carbed bikes.  I see that as an advantage in desert racing with technical sections.  

Its because of the way its mapped. It mapped lean for emissions. I saw somewhere when it was mapped correctly, it was just as good as a carb. I think best dual sport bikes did it. They have a bunch of mods for the TPI bikes, including making a fuel hose so you can run 100:1 mix in the tank as a back up.
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, crypto666 said:

That's pretty common.  We have 2 CRF450Rs, a carbed 07 and an FI 11.  The carbed bike seems to have more of that sudden power hit than the FI one.

Many things influence the hit or lack of. Many feel in technical situations the herky jerky off idle response of the FI is a real negative. I'll take a carb anytime if given the option. Add a kickstarter to that also.

Edited by ring ding ding
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, MikeHassett said:

Ya, and why have ong travel suspension, linkage, disc brakes, e-start, 6spds, lights etc... They only add complexity and weight... ???

• Like 10

I was suspicious with FI, even in cars/trucks. Can always at least make it home with a carb, right?

Never had an issue.

Got my first FI street bike in '06, dirt bike in '16. Fueling in both was pretty much spot on. From 2000-8000 Ft. in a days riding. 

:excuseme:

• Like 3

I used to be nervous with fuel injection and all the computers on cars now, but they've been using them for decades and I think they worked out most of the bugs. Other than some sensors going bad after 60K miles, I've never had a problem.  

On 5/17/2018 at 1:07 PM, MikeHassett said:

Why do people want a TPI 2 stroke? 

A huge number of folks buy a two stroke and are unwilling to learn how to jet them. They think they can buy the same bike as Jonny Walker wins on and it will be perfect as delivered. With a closed loop system (with an O2 sensor) you can get great results, but I don't know if the TPI is closed loop.

Every two stroke I've bought over the past 50 years came fat from the factory. So that a new squid owner won't squeak it the first time they ride it. Tons of threads here on TT and other forums filled with complaints about blubbering two strokes. Solution is simple, Ride it an hour or two as delivered. Then make sure the premix is 60:1 and go lean on the needle position, and usually one size on the pilot jet. Ride a couple more hours to break it in. Fine tune a bit leaner if you need to.

Or be like a road racer on two strokes, and do a plug chop every practice session and change the jetting every time you bring it into the pits. I'd change the jetting on my TZ750 four or five times a day -- and it had four carbs.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

A huge number of folks buy a two stroke and are unwilling to learn how to jet them. They think they can buy the same bike as Jonny Walker wins on and it will be perfect as delivered. With a closed loop system (with an O2 sensor) you can get great results, but I don't know if the TPI is closed loop.

Every two stroke I've bought over the past 50 years came fat from the factory. So that a new squid owner won't squeak it the first time they ride it. Tons of threads here on TT and other forums filled with complaints about blubbering two strokes. Solution is simple, Ride it an hour or two as delivered. Then make sure the premix is 60:1 and go lean on the needle position, and usually one size on the pilot jet. Ride a couple more hours to break it in. Fine tune a bit leaner if you need to.

Or be like a road racer on two strokes, and do a plug chop every practice session and change the jetting every time you bring it into the pits. I'd change the jetting on my TZ750 four or five times a day -- and it had four carbs.

It's open loop.

People don't want to dick with jetting a Mikuni. They can go buy an FI 4-stroke and just go ride. Why can't 2-strokes be like that? TPI has more advantages than disadvantages.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:12 AM, gators0037 said:

Why do they need to familiarize themselves?

On 5/17/2018 at 10:07 AM, MikeHassett said:

Have you ridden one? TPI is super smooth and idles lower than a regular 2-stroke and has amazing traction. No mixing gas and ability to tune with the push of a button are some reasons I can think of.

• Like 1