Rmx250 1995 questions upon new purchase

Hi

iv recently purchased a Suzuki rmx250 1995

what mix fuel and oil ratio should i be running it at ? And say i have 5 L of petrol how many millilitres of 2 stoke should i add

also what is standard stock jetting size on the standard pj carb ? The bike will not idle unless the cable is adjusted tighter 

iv read about upgrading the carb to a pwk but then id have no idea on what jets are needed in the 38mm carb and all this talk of different neddles seems abit beond me .

any help would be most appreciated 

Oil quality has changed a lot since this bike was introduced.  That said, pick a 2t oil that you can get without any troubles and mix it in the 40:1 to 60:1 range (I personally like 50:1).  Your local dealership should offer a measuring cup/bottle of some kind (Ratio Rites are popular in the US), buy one.

Then base your jetting with that fuel mixture (simple jet changes will get you there).

It's true that the stock PJ carb isn't that great but it does work good enough for most, that said RMX's for the most part do not idle very well (if at all).  If you do not have a lot jetting experience/knowledge to jet a new carb then don't bother, but there are gains in changing carbs but you have to decide if you want to give it a try.  If you do then try to go with a carb that came off of a similar size and performance bike (250cc woods bike), then the stock jetting in that carb will at least be close enough to get you started ("possibly" very close).

Thank you very much for relying.

so looking at 100ml of oil to 5 L of petrol?

do you know the standard stock jetting for in the uk so i can check with whats in mine currently .

iv yet to dig into the issue but will soon have the carb off . Iv only ever had 4 stock bikes but fancied a go with the 2 stoke 

6 hours ago, zig06 said:

Your local dealership should offer a measuring cup/bottle of some kind (Ratio Rites are popular in the US), buy one.

x2.

Can't stress enough the importance of this. Skip the guesswork, get a measuring cup.

Can you help on oil brAnd there is so many to pick from please note i will be using on the road so dont really wont to fowl the plug up all the time

cheers 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Romney1 said:

Can you help on oil brand, there's so many to pick from.  Please note that I will be riding on the road and don't really want to fowl the plug up all the time.

cheers 

Ok, go to where ever your going to buy your oil from and based on the list of 2t oil's below, pick the one with the lowest flash point and mix it at 50:1 with pump premium.  Do your best to find an oil that's under 200 F, that's because at a steady throttle state (like riding on the road) you won't produce as much combustion heat so the higher flash point oil's won't burn effectively and that'll cause a lot of exhaust tip "2t spooge" and 2t exhaust smoke.

Amsoil Interceptor - 183 F

Amsoil Dominator- 194 F

Amsoil Saber Pro - 237 F

Bel Ray H1R - 435 F

Bel Ray MC1 - 208 F

Bel Ray Si7 - 194 F

Castrol Power RS- 163 F

Castrol 2T - 194 F

Champion WP2 – 176 F

Klotz R50 – 550 F

Lucas Semi Synthetic - 182 F

Maxima Formula K2 - 240 F

Maxima Super M - 280 F

Maxima Super M Injector - 220 F

Maxima Castor 927 - 420 F

Maxima Bio 2T - 180 F

Motul 710 - 190 F

Motul 800 - 485 F

Motul Bio 2T - 255 F

Motorex Cross Power 2T - 230 F

PJ1 Silverfire – 203 F

Red Line Two-Stroke Racing Oil - 221 F

Red Line Two-Stroke Allsport - 230 F

Red Line Two-Stroke Smokeless - 201 F

Yamahlube 2r – 149 F

Edited by zig06

Thank you very much for taking the time to write that the previous owner stated 40.1 mix . 

Does anyone have a wiring diagram as id like to return the lights etc to the bike 

Can you help on oil brAnd there is so many to pick from please note i will be using on the road so dont really wont to fowl the plug up all the time
cheers 
Running Putoline MX5 oil @ 32:1 here. (£12/L on eBay)

Also get ahold of a "Maxima quick 2 mix" bottle too (about £10 on eBay again)

All the markings on that quick mix bottle for a range of ratios and quantitys of fuel. (Very handy when filling up at the pump)

The diagram only shows front and rear light do these not have brake light ? Indicators horn etc