Help identifying stator..? And lighting concerns

Recently acquired an xr650r that was made into a super moto / dualsport and I’m noticing that the lights dim a lot at low rpms, nice and bright when it’s not idling. Is that normal? Once I was riding around trails at night in lower gears and it started to get very dim, I hopped back on the highway and it didn’t get brighter unless it was at like 7krpm. Turned it off and fired it back up and it was fine. Not sure what that means but it is concerning. Haven’t had that happen again tho, yet. 

So I was skeptical of this guy telling me it had a high output stator. I checked it tonight and it looks to be aftermarket, just have no idea what it is, and neither does the previous owner....(questionable) 

i feel like the bike only wants to idle at like 1700, any lower and the lights will get very dim, and sometimes the tachometer resets without the bike stalling cause the power supply gets so low when it’s idling at 1400. 

So so does anyone know what stator this is? I’m thinking electrosport? 

F9BAD2E6-3707-4C57-97A0-1FAF946CFB35.jpeg

DFDEBD5A-4244-4CD1-94D2-7D1495DEAD27.jpeg

Edited by SmithMan95

Yup, looks like an Electrosport to me.

From my experience with Electrosport stators, have some $ saved up to buy a new stator from Ricky Stator or find a used stocker to have Baja Designs rewind.  It is not a matter of if it will fail, but simply when it will fail.

If there was not a DC conversion/battery done to the system, it is common for the lights to dim at very low rpm.  The stator doesn't reach full rated output until it is a few 1000 rpm up in the rev range.  At really low rpm the output is actually pretty minimal.

No battery. But I have been looking more online at stators and from what I’ve seen this actually doesn’t look like the electro sport model or race tech. Honestly they all kinda look the same so I watched some install videos and it’s just impossible to tell for sure. But from watching these install videos it really looks like a ricky stator. From a page with someone else’s build on a xr650r the stator looks exactly same. Is there a way to identify a Ricky stator? First pic is someone else’s build with the Ricky stator, second is just a pic from a cheap eBay stator. Notice the similarities. A few more videos I’ve seen show show the exact same looking stator as a Ricky Stator. I just don’t wanna spend the money if I don’t need to. As long as the bike doesn’t die from a power draw I can deal with dimming lights. If you notice in the pics, my stator has the same 3 larger nuts in the middle. This bike has so much aftermarket on it and the PO doesn’t know anything about it!!! So weird to me. 4D5CB13B-F9E5-4E6D-93C7-914CF3AB38FE.thumb.png.ffe420c0538582282f9cdf33c01b7772.png

94D52829-EC5C-47DD-8432-F3A1ED2E067D.png

Dimming at idle is normal.  Dimming while riding and it is likely the coating is worn through on the core and what you are experiencing is the arcing of the windings to the core, which eventually breaks down all of the insulating materials.  You will start to see discoloration of the windings from heat if this is the case.

Or maybe you just have a bad connection somewhere.