Sign in to follow this  

Speedometer back light / power kill switch

Anyone have any experience adding a switch to the speedometer backlight, or power in?   Anyone know of side effects to killing power to it all together briefly for stealth mode?   I’m looking to add separate headlight and tail light switches as i had once done to an 08 230L.  This seems to be the difficult / unfamiliar part.  Thank for any info!

there's a fuse in the fuse box that will kill the dash completely. bike still runs without it. I can't remember EXACTLY which fuse it is....but the last time I blew a fuse messing with the lights I pulled one of the other fuses to double check stuff since I didn't have a spare and the dash didn't light up at all.

http://manualzz.com/doc/13895822/honda-crf250l-e-lektricheskaya-shema--ang- I think it's fuse 3 (meter/tail)....though that seems to also control the tail light. of course, that doesn't just kill the backlight...the whole instrument cluster goes dead.

• Like 1

Thanks, I played with that idea today, and studied the wiring diagram. I actually took the speedometer off, and completely apart. The bike runs fine with it missing too. I’m fairly handy, and have done this sort of thing with an 08 crf230l. Granted the gauge is analog, and it’s not too hard to figure out what the wires headed in are for. There are no accounts or photos of the insides of these online, so I will tell my story out of community service. Nothing was easy. 4 bolts to remove the headlight. Plugs in the way of 3 screws to free the gauge. I was happy to see the wiring plugged directly into the back. Once off, there were around 10 screws of 2 sizes to get it completely apart. Inside, the was a circuit board with the display loosely yet magically somehow attached. I studied it, and eventually scared myself by it coming off the board completely. So apparently there is a contact strip and it just rests on the board? It seemed rather stuck during dissasembly, and loose on reassembly. I clamped it back in place with the screws, and was relieved to find it still worked fine. The leds are tiny and soldered to the board. I didn’t see one wire inside. Molesting leds directly will not be my method. I’m probably going to work on adding a switch to the green ground wire headed in to it, as well as the headlight ground. I don’t see why I can’t use 1 switch. I might just disable the blinkers running light function to simplify wiring.

• Like 1