Ideal rider weight for stock suspension?

Hi, for a KTM 500, anyone know what the ideal rider weight is for a stock suspension?

I'm not talking about the rider weight with all the equipment, but the actual weight of the rider?

I'm 6'1 and I weighted 205 and I don't want to modify my suspension so I'm working out to shed some weight. So far I'm down to 180, I figure I will lose another 10 to 15 but is it enough for the stock suspension?

The lowest I can go is probably 150-155lbs but that's around 8% body fat.

I'm guession my equipment with 2.5l in the camelbak must be around 20lbs.

So what's your experience with the stock suspension?

15 minutes ago, fltplan said:

Most enduro bikes are set up for 180#’s I think.

I just weighted my equipment and it's much more than I anticipated, it's 36lbs

so if I need to have a rider full weight under 187lbs I need to weight less than 152lbs. That's very very lean for my 6'1 frame.

2017?

Should have springs for 165. I set the sag in street clothes and I'm at 165. If you set up the bike in full gear with springs to match, it will ride like a buck board. For the trail bike I don't anything above body wt for spring resistance. 

For desert camping with 35 lbs gear on the back and 4.5 gallons fuel, I bumped springs up one notch both ends and set the sag with 1/2 the fuel and gear on the bike. No compensation for my gear.

If nothing else shed as much weight you can maintain, run a 15 lb load and check the sag. A lot of this depends on how hard you ride. If you crush it on whoops and jumps, you need more heavier srings, trail riding- a lot less.

Edited by Burnrider

single best thing for suspension is to have the right springs for your weight. Springs carry the weight/holds the bike up, the shock controls how it goes up n down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shingo said:

I just weighted my equipment and it's much more than I anticipated, it's 36lbs

so if I need to have a rider full weight under 187lbs I need to weight less than 152lbs. That's very very lean for my 6'1 frame.

Just go up one rate, front and rear with the springs or go online at a number of places, and use their chart for weight and spring rates. 

7 hours ago, shingo said:

6ft 1 and want to be 150 lbs,  you might die of starvation.

• Like 1

6ft 1 and want to be 150 lbs,  you might die of starvation.

Last time I was 150 I had about 14% body fat, it’s not that lean. My cousin same age as me who’s about 6’1 also is competing in downhill in nationals, he weight 140 .

Read the manual. If you are within the weight specifications you are good, if not get the appropriate springs. Simple. 

Health and diet forum are across the road. 

The exc's have slow trail bike suspension, so there's a different spring need, with trail bike, verses MX / desert of the same rider weight.

Example, stock suspension might work for a 120lbder on mx type lay out, but anywhere where near 200 lbs, its pretty inadequate

i am 185-188 plus riding gear  , 6,1 also and ride camelback . i bought spring from stadium in montreal for my 2017 500 exc-f . they suggest 1 size up front and 2 size up back . the bike ride very very good for my riding stile witch is fast atv trail with '' whoops '' ,  wood and some single track . i  was very afraid of there suggestion but it the best thing . pre 2016 were ok at 1 suze up front and rear but 2017 up hare way to soft on back spring that why i went 2 size up on back . i also have fasway peeg at low setting that is a bit further back also . 

Edited by cisco 1

I got my suspension redone on my 16' 500.  I think I just got a new rear spring.  Same as the 17'.  I'm 6-4 and 175, w/gear right around 200.  I was right on the cusp in the back, but he recommends stiffer spring for taller riders in general so we went up 1-rate.