Considering a 250fx...

I've been a 2-stroke guy all of my life and I don't see me getting rid of my 06 yz250 but I'm considering adding a 250fx. I'm guessing the 2019 250f will be updated much like the 2018 450f and I would assume the fx will receive the update also. When does Yamaha reveal new models, beginning of June? Any fx owners here come from a 2-stroke? The description I've heard is they feel more "planted".

Came from 13 years of 2 strokes. KDX first, then 250 XC-W. FX definitely feels more planted and gets better traction. Doesn't have as much horsepower as the 250 XC-W, but the power is much broader.

I demo'd a 250FX and a 250X back to back and the difference in handling was striking. I preferred the FX much more, but that's a personal preference thing. Check to see if the Yamaha demo is anywhere near you soon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pickle4 said:

Check to see if the Yamaha demo is anywhere near you soon.

I have one in August marked on my calendar. I think the back to back test ride is the only way to know if it's for me. Thanks

I had an 01, then an 06 and then 08 YZ250 2st. Went to an 08 YZ250F, 14 YZ250F to 15 YZ250FX. 

IMO the 4 strokes are a much better bike in every aspect besides very technical riding. I was a die hard YZ250 2t guy and now I have absolutely no desire to go back to a 2 stroke. 

Edited by Vintage Not Pimpage
  • Like 3

I added an FX to my stable of YZ 125 and YZ250. 

Ended up selling the 2 strokes. Super versatile bike. I’m thinking of picking up a Husky 250FX for technical stuff after I spent some time on my friends. 

The FX is an awesome bike and works great in the tight stuff. It’s never gonna work as well as a smoker in that terrain but overall it’s hard to beat for most condition. 

• Like 1

1988 (?) YZ250

2001 YZ250

2014 YZ250

Several 2 stroke Banshees and many 2 stroke snowmobiles in my life.

I was a 2 stroke only guy for decades.

My 2018 YZ250FX works sooooooo much better in the tight wooded trails that we ride. 

Very happy with my choice. Heading out riding again tomorrow on it. 

20180512_145455.jpg

• Like 2

Yes add one to the stable. I just sold my 13 YZ250 to a buddy. They are nice to have for moto and desert. I previously had 03,05,06,07,13 Zed's. and 06 125 too. Just purchased 18 FX250 and love it. Tall bike for me. Tuned it recently and it reminds me of YZ250 kinda. It is loud and trying to figure SA and quiet pipe but don't want to lose low end torque. I ride mostly desert trail now and gnarly mountain stuff. Also have 17 Husky TE250 which does not vibrate near as much as YZ. Don't miss that. 

IMG_20180125_150911259.jpg

• Like 4

I've been thinking the same thing getting rid of my 2 stoke, a lot of guys I ride with ride 4 strokes, so gas becomes a problem doing single track.  My uncle rides a 450 km  and says I may regret going to a yz250f, may miss the responses of the 2stroker.  He has even said he has thought about going back to a two stroke. Thought about going up to the yz450 but i think it would be two much bike for me.

The 2stroke hit is going to be missed. And lighter too. Maybe Yamaha will add the tuner option with phone app like YZ450f in 2019. I still like my suspension better on FX than on my TE. Maybe in future Yamaha will work on getting rid of vibration on 2-strokes.

• Like 1

I've been thinking the same thing getting rid of my 2 stoke, a lot of guys I ride with ride 4 strokes, so gas becomes a problem doing single track.  My uncle rides a 450 km  and says I may regret going to a yz250f, may miss the responses of the 2stroker.  He has even said he has thought about going back to a two stroke. Thought about going up to the yz450 but i think it would be two much bike for me.
The 250fx responds probably quicker than the 2 stroke.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ring ding ding said:

Couple of friends have the 250FX and the only issue I have with them is weight, wish Yamaha would address that.

Only time I notice weight if if I hop on a 2 stroke riding the same loop. I don’t think it’s much of an issue on this bike. 

I have a 300 xcw, and bought a lightly used 15 250fx last year.

I didn’t get along with it well at first. Jerky throttle, constantly runs wide if your nuts aren’t on the steering head. Power is good in midrange and top, little weak (to me) off idle and stable in the whoops.

Bought a programmer and did some tuning, and upped the idle to 2100  jerky throttle mostly gone. Lowered the rear about 1/2 inch with fastway link and handling solved! 

Its definitely a keeper and my choice for faster harescramble or ATV trails.

Still have the 300 because the hit still makes me giggle and it is so light. So I say you need both!

51 minutes ago, MotoKirby said:

constantly runs wide if your nuts aren’t on the steering head.

I have noticed this as well in slow and tight corners, but I realized my problem was less body positioning and more my brain.  A 2000 RPM idle is much higher than any of the carb bikes I have ridden before, thus I found that idle speed on the FX is actually faster than my brain was programmed to expect.  I have adjusted after realizing this and 20 hours on the bike.  I have a feel now for idle speed, and I simply pull the clutch in around tight corners and the bike turns as expected.  

You are correct, the FX does like body weight forward.  It really responds much better when I am standing then when I am sitting.  It's not a bike that handles well with a lazy riding style.  Stand up, weight forward, look ahead, and the bike will carve.

• Like 3