Neighbors bike

My sons 250x has never given any trouble and cranks easy, however, my neighbors, a 2006 250x has been nothing but problems. It has been to the Honda shop, I think, 4 times now in 2 years. Each time they redo the valves, it runs and cranks well for about 8 hrs ride time, then goes back to the same old problem. Several questions, Do the valves "settle in" or do they just get worse and worse? My thoughts are if they, I'll make up something, wear off .008 mm from correct setting and settle in, then why not adjust/set them off .008 from the Honda shop and when they wear in in 8 hours, they will be right? I have refrained from working on this bike because I don't need another responsibility, however, he can't sell it like this. Nor does he ride with us any longer, thus reducing my chances to ride. I have never done this style of valves. If I recall, it is with shims rather than adjusting the way I am accustomed to. Is this something I can fix for him, or best to stay far away from it? I have rebuilt many dirt bike motors, yet, not with this style of valves. I have the complete service manual. I just need to know if it can be adjusted to a point that it can be ridden for 50 hours without needing it again. 

• Like 1

I'd say it depends at lot what the shop does when the 'redo the valves' 

Slapping in new valves on old worn out valve guides and seats is useless (seats need to be re-cut)

even worse is lapping them (Titanium valves) as it wears away the thin coating.

2004-06 cylinder heads are known for less than durable seats as well, many upgrade to a later model head when due.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1gr8bldr said:

I have refrained from working on this bike because I don't need another responsibility

It took a long time but I too have learned (mostly...) to say no to other people's mechanical projects and disasters. 

Too many treat their vehicles (cars/bikes/snowmobiles/boats etc.) like toys until they stop working,

no matter how much you try to explain preventative maintenance to them.

When a problem arises, clueless they then need your assistance and expect it's something minor to fix but is often the result of years of neglect.

You can guide them with right information but, these people unfortunately must learn the hard way, thru their wallet.

Edited by mlatour

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 06' 250x and it gave me nothing but problems before. It's essentially a race bike marketed as a trail bike. The maintenance intervals are very short and there really is no way around it. 

Ever since i bought a new head with steel valves i've had NO problems with the bike what so ever. Definitely recommend the CRFonly 07' R head with kibble white stainless steel valves.

The guy who doesn't have this issue will always blame you for not doing enough maintenance or treating the bike a certain way. This bike is meant to be stripped down and rebuilt every race. It's a pretty involved to replace the head but for people like me who just ride short durations very lightly it's been exactly what i asked for originally.

• Like 1

my 04 250x only had receding exhaust valves the bike ran then it didnt start ..Head off new valves and guides and seats never even think about it now ,it just starts and runs ..Honda has to be one of the best bikes to invest in yes they have a few issues but you resolve those issues and she will be good to go ..

On 5/29/2018 at 9:02 PM, Derek Vacura said:

I have an 06' 250x and it gave me nothing but problems before. It's essentially a race bike marketed as a trail bike. The maintenance intervals are very short and there really is no way around it. Ever since i bought a new head with steel valves i've had NO problems with the bike what so ever. Definitely recommend the      CRFonly 07' R head with kibble white stainless steel valves.

The guy who doesn't have this issue will always blame you for not doing enough maintenance or treating the bike a certain way. This bike is meant to be stripped down and rebuilt every race. It's a pretty involved to replace the head but for people like me who just ride short durations very lightly it's been exactly what i asked for originally.

So if we bought this, in bold, bolt on only? Would this be a set it and forget it? 

Edited by 1gr8bldr

So, it looks like I could send them the 250x head and have them install the Kiblewhite valves, set the clearances on the valves and receive it back ready to bolt on for just over $500. I assume for me, this is a better solution

Although these engines can be durable for casual trail riding, there is nothing 'set it and forget it' about them as

unlike air cooled CRF-F's or XR's they are still based on a high strung MX race engine design.

Air filter maintenance, oil & filter changes and checking valve clearance on a regular intervals are a must, piston and ring don't last forever as well.

I had my cylinder head refurbished with SS valves and despite meticulous maintenance

the intake valve clearance have closed up 0.001" within one season of use (less than 50 hours)

Still within specs and not requiring any adjustments but just to show things aren't set forever.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1