Graphic proof of concept, buy a Bell or at least some other quality helmet

From Nuke The Quads this weekend. Don't cheap out on a helmet, and don't sacrifice a few grams of weight for protection. This guy probably would have died if wearing a cheap helmet or one of those super light oddball brand helmets. Buy Bell, buy 6D, buy Leatt, buy something good.

FB_IMG_1526913231486.thumb.jpg.5340afe206bf36bdbe436b2f58256f3b.jpg

• Like 10

I care about saving money and weight as much as the next guy, but when it comes to helmets that’s something I never skimp on. I had my fair share of concussions and slams and I know that if I wasn’t wearing a quality helmet at the time that I might not be here. Quality isn’t determined by the price, but by the attention to detail in creating a safe product. Icon, 6D, Bell, really anything with a MIPS system, those are quality.

• Like 2

I'm just bothered by the current trend to save a few grams.  Looking at those lightweight helmets just scares me.  I began riding in the early 70s, my first Bell, a Star 90, probably weighed twice what a new ff helmet weighs. Did it bother me?  No.  I could ride all day and not get a sore neck.  The first helmet I used for dirt was my street Star 120, I could wear goggles with it.  Heavy, made of fiberglass, but if I went down it was going to do its job.  This quest for less weight is absurd IMO, kind of reminds me of what KTM experienced a couple years ago in their quest for less weight, parts reliability suffered.

• Like 2

I'm just bothered by the current trend to save a few grams.  Looking at those lightweight helmets just scares me.  I began riding in the early 70s, my first Bell, a Star 90, probably weighed twice what a new ff helmet weighs. Did it bother me?  No.  I could ride all day and not get a sore neck.  The first helmet I used for dirt was my street Star 120, I could wear goggles with it.  Heavy, made of fiberglass, but if I went down it was going to do its job.  This quest for less weight is absurd IMO, kind of reminds me of what KTM experienced a couple years ago in their quest for less weight, parts reliability suffered.

That’s the common trend concerned with racing and everyone wanting to be a “pro.” People put cost and looks over safety all the time. Sure, I like a helmet that looks appealing and maybe eye-catching, but if it doesn’t do its job then screw it.
  • Like 2

Just now, SPTiger said:

Dang, looks pretty bad. I just bought a new helmet with MIPS last week and I really like it but I hope I never find out how good it works, or doesn't work.

Just the fact that he walked out of the ER on his own 2 feet is amazing.  Says a lot about good equipment.

2 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Just the fact that he walked out of the ER on his own 2 feet is amazing.  Says a lot about good equipment.

Seriously though. When I saw that helmet the first thing I thought of was "ICU".

showing a torn apart bell helmet doesn’t prove anything  about price or weight .  But I will trust the current lightweight helmets  that use modern composites far more than the common fibreglass helmets 

This ^^^^. If lighter weight is achieved with carbon or kevlar than it need not be less safe. Might be more safe. Could be stronger. And less mass = less

rotational torque. Maybe a carbon or kevlar wrap doesn’t snap like the helmet in the photo did?...which begs the question, while on one hand, yes, the limiting of severe injuries suggests the helmet “did its job” ... should it have broken?

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

This ^^^^. If lighter weight is achieved with carbon or kevlar than it need not be less safe. Might be more safe. Could be stronger. And less mass = less

rotational torque. Maybe a carbon or kevlar wrap doesn’t snap like the helmet in the photo did?...which begs the question, while on one hand, yes, the limiting of severe injuries suggests the helmet “did its job” ... should it have broken?

Breaking is part of the function of absorbing severe impacts.

• Like 6

Some of you guys... lol

The trend of lightweight helmets is not some trendy thing that will blow over... it's related DIRECTLY to safety. Some of you "experts" are so clueless it's actually incredible. Don't talk about how safety matters so much to you, and then say that's the reason why you don't like lightweight helmets. SMH.

BTW, had this have been an HJC with the exact same outcome, exact same pics, y'all would be saying to stop cheaping out on helmets. Nuff said. YES, these helmets are designed to have shear points.

I like Leatt helmets... but you should wear what fits your head best. Technology is amazing but if the helmet is ill fitting it won't protect your head as well as a "cheap" $100 helmet that fits perfectly.

Edited by 298
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

You sound very well educated in this field.

Now go swing a lightweight baseball bat into the ground, and record the impact. Do the same with a heavy, Louisville slugger. Record the impact.

Or take a club hammer and hit a block with it. Now do the same with a ball peen. Which did more damage?

Now review your post.

Edited by 298
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, 298 said:

You sound very well educated in this field.

Now go swing a lightweight baseball bat into the ground, and record the impact. Do the same with a heavy, Louisville slugger. Record the impact.

Now review your post.

Apples and oranges.  Its your head. ?

• Like 1

I didn't post this to argue, you guys with those Kalis and Suomys aren't going to listen anyway.  It was an illustration of what happens.  Compare just the amount of padding in one of those lightweight helmets to one of the high end Bells or 6Ds or...

1 minute ago, 298 said:

Yup, and the baseball bat is replicating your head swinging into the ground. 

THAT, is the same argument the anti-helmet bunch was putting forth in 1972.  Doesn't fly.

3 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I didn't post this to argue, you guys with those Kalis and Suomys aren't going to listen anyway.  It was an illustration of what happens.  Compare just the amount of padding in one of those lightweight helmets to one of the high end Bells or 6Ds or...

You realize how much Bell and 6D do to keep weight down, right? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

THAT, is the same argument the anti-helmet bunch was putting forth in 1972.  Doesn't fly.

With the same force, more weight equals more damage. That's why EVERY helmet manufacturer is cutting down the weight of their helmets. Bell, 6D, Shoei, Leatt, Just 1, list goes on and on and on and on. If it was better to have a heavier helmet, they sure as hell wouldn't spend the money to develop lighter weight materials that drive helmet costs up and therefore lower overall sales of those models.

• Like 3

I agree with this message to buy a quality helmet. But I have yet to see real 3rd party evidence that the MIPS and other systems are truly revolutionary as there are many , many factors involved in evaluating a real accident. Until this is proven I think a DOT+ECE+Snell approval sticker is your best insurance. I wouldn't rule out an Arai or Shoei because they don't have MIPS.

• Like 2