21/18 wheel combo - wheel weights

Hi,

It's getting to the soft season here and I'm looking to fit my 21/18 inch wheelset. I run the set with rim locks and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with rim locks and wheel balancing.  As a rule  do you normally get the wheels balanced and add extra weight to offset the rim lock? The other option is to put up with the slight rocking horse motion at 80 - 100 Kmh.

4 hours ago, LoLoSama said:

I dont have rim locks but i balanced my wheels and added 2 weight 1526950878385.jpg.0b39b8aa4c977b270016b96c9477727e.jpg

I went to cycle gear and asked if they had some for sale, they say no but they gave me a strip of weight.

6 hours ago, xxdabroxx said:

I put weights opposite the rim locks on mine. I haven’t actually balanced them though. Seems pretty close. 

Yup, that's the info.  I wound up going to the local bike bits dealer and getting them to balance on the machine.  The weights are opposite the rim lock.  I'll see over the next few days how they ride.  Thanks.

10 minutes ago, jamracing said:

Weights around the spokes will actually last beyond the first bike wash 

Agreed. I haven't washed the bike and they are already coming off.

I wanted to feel how it rides with 5 oz of weight before buying the spoke weights.

Fat solder wrapped around a spoke works as a balance weight. Cut the solder wire long, wrap around the spoke, and trim to fine tune the balance. 

Wrap around a few spokes opposite the rim lock usually works. 

Two equal weight rim locks, installed opposite each other, also works (and requires less fine tune balance weight).

27 minutes ago, 340hp said:

Fat solder wrapped around a spoke works as a balance weight.

But be sure it's solid core not rosin or acid core because in warmer weather it will ooze out and corrode the spokes and nipples.damhik 

27 minutes ago, 340hp said:

3 hours ago, 340hp said:

Fat solder wrapped around a spoke works as a balance weight. Cut the solder wire long, wrap around the spoke, and trim to fine tune the balance. 

Wrap around a few spokes opposite the rim lock usually works. 

Two equal weight rim locks, installed opposite each other, also works (and requires less fine tune balance weight).

Yeah now thats a really good thought.  A bit late for this set of tyres but next time I might just do that.  I notice that the rear has a spare rim lock / valve hole that has a bung in it at the moment.  The wheels are aftermarket. Torpedo 7.  The seem well made.

• Like 1