Boots/foot injury

Friday while riding some dirt bike trails I apparently caught a snag sticking into trail, not exactly sure because I could not stop to see what it was and was likely hidden from overgrowth.  I have hit stuff before and had no issues, boots are O'Neal Rider boots, but this was a massive hit that would have shattered (or ripped off) my foot and ankle if not for the boots.  Unfortunately I am still left with a foot/ankle that is unusable, swollen all over with bruises, can't put any weight on it.  No broken bones per urgent care x-ray, but supposed to see foot doc. this week.  

The O'Neal Rider boots always seemed like enough protection for what I do, nothing too extreme.  Any advice to avoid this again?  Stronger boot suggestions?  

• Like 1

SIDI

I had a hit like that with a boulder and I was certain it was going to hurt. It was a peg-boulder-boot sandwich.    I waited a moment for the pain to reach the brain, and nothing.  I was in disbelief.  The boot didn't get hurt either.  

I can't say enough good about the Sidi CFs.

• Like 2

O’Neal boots. Been there and done that. I broke two toes with toenails falling off, they grew back tho. $100 boots don’t have much protection. I ended up with Gaerne boots cause I got wide feet. Hinged ankle, hard plastic shields, etc. Good boots ain’t cheap.

• Like 2

Good boots are a must, with hard side and any sort of hinge for the ankle. My friend slid out in a corner at the track and completely dislocated his ankle since his Tech 7s had no side protection. Maybe a better boot would have saved him, but his didn’t seem to do much since they folded and had to cut the boot off since his leg swelled.

Thanks for the boot advise!  I'll definitely be looking into better boots.  Most people where I ride have full gear on, but every once in awhile I see someone with work boots on, makes me cringe to think what would have happened to their foot/ankle in my case.   

Of course it happened instantly, but seems like what I hit bent the boot up at the toes before slamming down on top of my foot and then slid down my ankle (was going up slight hill).  The bottom of my foot is also badly bruised because it was pushed down into the foot peg.  Seems like to prevent injury from something like this we'd need a protective shell around our whole foot and non flexible sole.  Have not really seen these features in any of the boot descriptions, I'll keep looking.       

Edited by AugustSnow

My Alpinestar tech 8s have been through the ringer and I’ve never had a foot, ankle or lower leg injury. I think when they are finished I may look into the SIDI brand.

For the SIDI guys, how do they size when shopping online? Spot on, small or large?

Hope this isn’t a hijack. 

6 minutes ago, OnPipe said:

My Alpinestar tech 8s have been through the ringer and I’ve never had a foot, ankle or lower leg injury. I think when they are finished I may look into the SIDI brand.

For the SIDI guys, how do they size when shopping online? Spot on, small or large?

I liked my Tech 8's. When they were worn out I tried on a few Sidi boots, couldn't get them to fit right. They seem to favor people with narrow feet. I ended up getting Gaerne SG11's and I'm happy. Slightly more comfortable than the Tech 8's but seem more protective also. Planned on SG12's, but the 11's were on sale and I couldn't pass it up. Seems like they didn't sell well and they're not for sale anywhere now. 

I wouldn't order boots online. I always seem to have to try on a few different pairs to get it right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AugustSnow said:

Friday while riding some dirt bike trails I apparently caught a snag sticking into trail, not exactly sure because I could not stop to see what it was and was likely hidden from overgrowth.  I have hit stuff before and had no issues, boots are O'Neal Rider boots, but this was a massive hit that would have shattered (or ripped off) my foot and ankle if not for the boots.  Unfortunately I am still left with a foot/ankle that is unusable, swollen all over with bruises, can't put any weight on it.  No broken bones per urgent care x-ray, but supposed to see foot doc. this week.  

The O'Neal Rider boots always seemed like enough protection for what I do, nothing too extreme.  Any advice to avoid this again?  Stronger boot suggestions?  

there was a thread here a couple weeks ago showing $550 TCX boots on closeout for $199.  www.cycleplusonline.com i think it was. 

14 hours ago, OnPipe said:

The seem to be spot on for me.  They felt a bit tight at first, but I can wear them all day in total comfort. I have narrow feet, so I have a feeling the Gaerne are better for people with wide feet.  

I wear an 11.5, but had to go to a 13 in SIDI to get my wide foot to fit.  Still glad I did though.

Once my foot heals I'll go try on some SIDIs and likely some others mentioned here.  Has anybody specifically taken a front, top and bottom hit like I did without injury while wearing these boots?   

Edited by AugustSnow

Ya as I usually comment in boots topics, IMO boots are always touching something (pegs, ground etc) and your feet are exposed to rocks, logs etc etc consistently so IMO get the best boots you can afford cus you get what what you pay for. Then compared to a helmet, which is important but even say $150 one is going to be certified but might not have has as many features or is heavier than say a $600 one. Then your helmet should RARELY if ever be touching anything (like the ground) and if so you have bigger issues.

Personally Aplinestar Tech10 cus I like the removable booties, they fit me well and I like the low profile toe box and replaceable insoles. IMO Well worth every dollar and even after 4 years, I don't see having to buy new boots anytime soon.

• Like 1

Yes good boots are very important. I really like sidis and gaerne. HOWEVER...

This is the best advice I can give you - work on foot positioning. When your foot gets snagged, 99% of the time you had your arch or heel on the peg and were letting your toes dangle down below your pegs in front, or had your toes pointed out to the sides. Proper positioning has the ball of your foot on the pegs - no way for the toes to hang down in front, and it lets you use your body to absorb impacts more. To demonstrate this effect - try to jump as high as you can with no shoes on. Now do the same thing but land squarely on your heels. Big difference.

As a tall rider, I suffer(ed) from dangling my toes below my pegs because my legs are so long, and it gives me more leg room that way. It was a bad habit I formed, and when I moved up to really gnarly gnarly trails I started catching toes on stuff every now and then.

Foot positioning is the #1 thing I’ve been working on this season, it’s helped a lot but I still have a ways to go. I have to make a conscious effort still, hopefully one day proper foot position will be an ingrained habbit I don’t even have to think about.

There are plenty of guides / info about proper foot positioning, taught by people more qualified than I. I’d suggest googling “dirt bike foot position”, or search it on YouTube.

• Like 3

I personally have SG12's I picked up new for $350, extremely good quality. I would be between them and Sidi (thought I haven't seen the TCX or Formas in person).

Both the SG12 and Sidi are very well made, and built like tanks. My now may be towards the Sidi as they have more replaceable parts and truly seem to be built to withstand anything!

That said, I went Gaerne as the Sidi felt narrow. I may not have tried a size big enough, but alas I think between the two you can't go wrong. I had an old pair of Tech 10's that were nice, but did not seem to be nearly as protective as the Gaerne's I replaced them with. The boots didn't have hard plastic reinforcing up the calves like the Gaerne, so when holding them I could buckle them sideways. I do think they'll do a great job protecting, but between that and reading several comments from people saying their Tech 10's would fall apart after a season of riding put me off towards them.

Everyone who have commented on Sidi and Gaerne rave about their durability and longevity (they're also still made in Italy, Fox and Alpinestars are made in China and Croatia I believe).
As others have said, don't skimp. It only takes one accident to really mess something up. Same goes for helmet and, IMO, knee protection (good knee braces can be had for under $500 and may prevent the need for knee reconstruction surgery). In fact, I personally feel more confident when I ride with good protection - but I'm generally an overtly cautious person.

I too suffer from "toe dangle" and now I know how to fix it.

SIDI run thin, luckily I'm lanky.

Gaerne where to wide.

Alpinestar inner boot pinched a screw I have in my ankle.

These where the only high end boots out when I was shopping, there are a couple more out now I'd like to try on. 

A star T7s due to not having the booties, but feel like slippers. These tootsies have been put through a lot but can still find comfort and protection with these maintenance free babies.

• Like 1

Still plan on trying some SIDI and Gaerne boots but ordered some Forma Predator 2.0's first to try out and they arrived today.....

First thoughts about the Forma's:

They appear to be very well made, very nice boot.

They are very comfortable around the house, at least on my good foot.  Even with my knee brace on the boot feels great, foot/ankle and lower leg is more secure than old boots.  Boot size matches foot size.   

The lateral ankle support feels very strong.  Two pivot ankle hinge feels good.  

Top of the foot protection doesn't seem significantly better than the Rider boots.  Behind the toe area I can push down on the top and touch my foot, there is more padding compared to Rider boots but downward flex is what I wanted to avoid because that was partly the cause of my injury.   

Do any of these other boots have rigid/solid/non flexible top of the foot protection?   

SIDI crossfire 3 SRS boots arrived today.  Have been comparing to Forma's predator 2.0.  Two very different style of boots.    

I like these SIDI boots, they are built like a tank but yet they don't really look like it, slim profile, solid/rigid but with good ankle flex.  For sure out of the box the Forma's are more comfortable in the ankle area, SIDIs are too tight in the ankle and are pressing on pressure points....and that is my good foot/ankle.  Feels like the SIDIs might get better after some wearing in, the rest of the boot feels comfortable and very secure, maybe some heel lifts would help position the ankle better.

Still unable to try boots with my bad foot maybe in a couple more weeks....

Edited by AugustSnow