Sign in to follow this  

Rebuild YZ 125 or get new KTM 125 SX

I have a 07 YZ 125 that's been collecting dust for the past 8 years. I'm looking to get back into mx, so I'm thinking of getting a new bike or rebuilding my YZ. I've considered the KTM 150 SX but am heavily leaning towards the 125.

My YZ is in decent shape but I want that new bike feel. I'm contemplating on doing a full rebuild on the 125: engine, wheels, body, suspension revalve, controls and other pieces. What I'm looking to do will probably cost me around $4k, roughly. The new KTMs are around $7600 OTD last time I priced them in Texas a few months ago. If I take that $4k and sell my YZ I'd have a little over $6k.

What should I do? Buy a new bike or rebuild? If I buy a new KTM I'd wait for the 19 model.

(I don't race, just ride for fun)

Edited by houston.

If either way you're planning on spending $7600, i'd go for the new bike unless your looking for a project.

Putting $4k into a bike worth $2500, doesn't make sense from a resell/value perspective. At that point, you could probably sell your bike and buy an already built bike for not much more money. 

• Like 2

The new ktm is leaps and bounds ahead of the yz. Putting money into a bike over a decade old is just throwing it down the drain.