surfer-dude

Beta 4 strroke carbon fiber

So the time has come to add some armor to my bike.

I think I want to use carbon fiber to save some weight. So Im wondering what companies make carbon fiber parts for the Beta four strokes.

I'm looking into fork guards, wraps, and exhaust shields, and maybe even disc and caliper protection. But, skidplates and anything else might also be a go.

I think this would be a good thread for all things carbon fiber.

So good ahead and post up whatever you can come up with.

IMG_0234.jpg.8f6f3650889c01e77b2e6f942a970219.jpg

5b04b74fa5745_ScreenShot2018-05-22at10_42_48AM.png.7c2935ee27be0d0f0aa84d0c39ceecfe.png

5b04b6a13af80_ScreenShot2018-05-06at3_37_18PM.png.c18eb46640289fecc6a8fcf5a7de7833.png

• Like 1

The Beta's have no heavy parts that can replaced with Carbon Fiber.

It's all done for ya.

Besides, CF sucks. It cracks, shreads, and get dangerous even.

The battery, the tires, and the exhaust can all be lightened while improving the performance.  You can save 10 lbs....

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you Kran, thats some great insight. However, I am still looking into all carbon fiber options.

My battery died and I will be ordering up a new Lighter wieght battery once I figure out which is the best one..

I will also be ordering a kickstart delete as Ive already been thru the whole issue with the dead battery, and I can assurre everyone that the kicker is next to worthless. I even had a couple of big strong boys wear themselves out trying to kick over my dead Beta big-bore after I wore myself out. Its better to use a jump pack, or bumpstart it.

Im running a goldentyre 120 dominator and a fatty front and so thats that. But I have heard that tubliss will save a little bit of wieght over tubes, Bt I also hear about tubliss leaking and being a headache. So Im gonna watch my friends deal with these issues before I commit to tubliss. Im runniong std. tubes and so far they're working out just fine. Ive had 0 flats even thogh I run thru everything that everyone worries about. Rocks with low air pressure, cholla's, trashy areas, nails, glass etc. On a ride out to barstow I was the only person out of 9 people to not get a flat, and one dude even got 2 flats. everybody except me had HD tubes. Lately the group I ride with has more people running tubliss than tubes, and it seems like everyone gets a headache from it. so I'm happy with my lightwieght thin tubes.

I havent messed with the exhuast but Ive heard that the stock muffler is lighter than both fmf options. Maybe you might have some insight about that, and so you can feel free to speak up about that if you know anything about it. I also heard the stock header is the better of the 2 header options that we have.

Its kind of a pipe dream of mine to attempt chopping the stock muffler down.

I've already broken a lower fork gaurd and luckily I already had a replacement on hand. But a carbon fiber replacement would be pretty trick. I used to have carbon fiber lower fork gaurds on my old crf450r and though they scratch pretty easily, I think they offer better and more rigid protection than plastic. 

Ive run carbon fiber in the past, so I know about the issues that it might have.

I plan on running some select peices. And I understand if some people dont like it, But I am open to the idea of using carbon fiber on my bike.

So I am comprising this list of the various Carbon fiber alternatives to consider using on my beta thumpers.

Hopefully others might have something to contribute.

Edited by surfer-dude

This is an important piece, because every pair of dirt bike pants that I own have burn holes in them. As do all of my knee pads. So this is the first piece of carbon fiber that will find its way onto my bike. I just wonder what other manufacturers produce something like this. Or is this the only one???

t700_x1_162d9eea3477bfd5fee9d0420cc75260.jpg.3d23bb9acc683fa3dd0d379e5898cf67.jpg

http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/carbon-fiber-pipe-guard-4-stroke/offroad-dual-sport_rr-rs-rr-s_2017-rr-s-rr-race-ed-4-stroke_chassis_body-protection?pp=12

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I"d also like to get some fork wraps to protect the upper fork tubes from damage. Something like these just not sure which ones will give the sachs frontend maximum protection. Those thick vinyl stickers are not enough protection for this vulnerable area. 

701060.jpg.937f9afea9b81516cf4424cf53213ca4.jpg

http://p3carbon.com/shop/wp-covers/fork-guards/p3-carbon-fiber-fork-wraps/

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 1

So this is a start, if anyone has seen or heard of other stuff made specifically for beta, this would be a good place to put it so that people may consider it as an option.

Posted (edited)

Something like these could be cool, but durability and cost might mean these are best suited for the track and closed course rather than what I do with my bike. Again I have no idea if anyone makes them for sachs, nor do I know the cost to consider as an option.imageproxy.php?img=&key=b3312acf975e3c54 The carbon fiber lower guards do scratch up easier than plastic but the are more rigid and I feel that they could offer better impact protection than the stock plastics. the area around the mounting holes might be the achilles heal in this piece of armor as thats where my stock piece broke. I tend to ride rocks and stuff pretty frequently.

A couple days ago I was working my way thru a boulder field and smashed my rear brake pedal up against the clutch cover, but thats another story for another time. I didnt crash, but I did jump over a boulder and smashed the pedal into another boulder and the brake pedal paid the price. 5 minutes to repair it and I was on my way again.

411alwaqNbL._SX342_.jpg.16a854004faff3d52c8515b50ac7a28c.jpg

Edited by surfer-dude

Posted (edited)

Im pretty sure that Ive seen CF skidplates but im not sure who makes one ???

Im almost positive I'll be replacing the stocker for a Hyde, but its good to have options.

My stock skidplate is already pretty hammered and it needs to be replaced.

Edited by surfer-dude

P3 also makes a skid plate. 

As for Carbon Fork guards, any that fit KTM will fit on Beta. 

I had a set of Carbon fork guards on a Yamaha back in 03. Liked the noise they made when roost hit them:)

Yes Carbon is expensive and can be  brittle, but don't worry about what others say. It's cool and if you want it go for it!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks cc, I’m gonna do just that!

Edited by surfer-dude

10 hours ago, surfer-dude said:

Thank you Kran, thats some great insight. However, I am still looking into all carbon fiber options.

My battery died and I will be ordering up a new Lighter wieght battery once I figure out which is the best one..

I will also be ordering a kickstart delete as Ive already been thru the whole issue with the dead battery, and I can assurre everyone that the kicker is next to worthless. I even had a couple of big strong boys wear themselves out trying to kick over my dead Beta big-bore after I wore myself out. Its better to use a jump pack, or bumpstart it.

Im running a goldentyre 120 dominator and a fatty front and so thats that. But I have heard that tubliss will save a little bit of wieght over tubes, Bt I also hear about tubliss leaking and being a headache. So Im gonna watch my friends deal with these issues before I commit to tubliss. Im runniong std. tubes and so far they're working out just fine. Ive had 0 flats even thogh I run thru everything that everyone worries about. Rocks with low air pressure, cholla's, trashy areas, nails, glass etc. On a ride out to barstow I was the only person out of 9 people to not get a flat, and one dude even got 2 flats. everybody except me had HD tubes. Lately the group I ride with has more people running tubliss than tubes, and it seems like everyone gets a headache from it. so I'm happy with my lightwieght thin tubes.

I havent messed with the exhuast but Ive heard that the stock muffler is lighter than both fmf options. Maybe you might have some insight about that, and so you can feel free to speak up about that if you know anything about it. I also heard the stock header is the better of the 2 header options that we have.

Its kind of a pipe dream of mine to attempt chopping the stock muffler down.

I've already broken a lower fork gaurd and luckily I already had a replacement on hand. But a carbon fiber replacement would be pretty trick. I used to have carbon fiber lower fork gaurds on my old crf450r and though they scratch pretty easily, I think they offer better and more rigid protection than plastic. 

Ive run carbon fiber in the past, so I know about the issues that it might have.

I plan on running some select peices. And I understand if some people dont like it, But I am open to the idea of using carbon fiber on my bike.

So I am comprising this list of the various Carbon fiber alternatives to consider using on my beta thumpers.

Hopefully others might have something to contribute.

If you compare TuBliss to regular tube it's heavier. Compare to a UHD tube lighter. Installation prep is the key to a long lasting seal. Rim tape last about a year and starts to leak. Back this up with gorilla/duct tape and you're good to go. Biggest issue I have had with TuBliss is ripping knobs off the tire. Once cracked you cant seal and you have a flat. Second issue is large punctures from rocks corners. I have solved most of these issues with proper tire selection however those tires tend to be less performance for the conditions then I like. I have went to mousse on the front last year and this year both tires. Now I can pick any tire without worry of a flat. Yes I added weight but never a flat. I also cut the mousse to simulate low (er) PSI.

• Like 2

Thanks For the low down, especially about tubliss. I’m gonna relay that info to the kid in the group. Poor guy got tubliss wanting to be all trick and stuff but so far has had a really bad experience with it. I think the air only lasts in his about a half day or so. He’s tried reseating it a few times but last I heard he was still bumming it.

It seems that guys running tubliss are checking air pressure way more than me. Theyre using gauges, and trying to get it just right. Whereas I just give it a quick push and I’m like yeah that’s good.

So I’m pretty happy with my setup, except for; the battery, and burnt holes in knee area of my pants. Also the upper fork area just feels vulnerable to me, especially in the trees and rocks.

So thanks for the words about tubliss and moose’s and stuff. I’m gonna pass it on to the kid. It’s also good to know that it’s not lighter in weight than std tubes. I had thought they were.

23 hours ago, surfer-dude said:

This is an important piece, because every pair of dirt bike pants that I own have burn holes in them. As do all of my knee pads. So this is the first piece of carbon fiber that will find its way onto my bike. I just wonder what other manufacturers produce something like this. Or is this the only one???

t700_x1_162d9eea3477bfd5fee9d0420cc75260.jpg.3d23bb9acc683fa3dd0d379e5898cf67.jpg

http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/carbon-fiber-pipe-guard-4-stroke/offroad-dual-sport_rr-rs-rr-s_2017-rr-s-rr-race-ed-4-stroke_chassis_body-protection?pp=12

I haven’t seen a much better pipe guard than this one for the header. I was hoping flatland racing had a good option but haven’t seen yet. I gotta get one like this for my 350 rr later too. 

• Like 1

Carbon fiber looks cool. I do like some contrast too though. Maybe a mix of some other guards to add??? I have some carbon fiber swingarm guards. It gets scraped up but just have to spray with lps or armour all. I like Topar racing guards and BPD as others to go in the mix. Not too many carbon fiber options. Saw some on Sierra before.

http://shoptoparracing.com/brands/BETA.html

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, surfer-dude said:

Thanks For the low down, especially about tubliss. I’m gonna relay that info to the kid in the group. Poor guy got tubliss wanting to be all trick and stuff but so far has had a really bad experience with it. I think the air only lasts in his about a half day or so. He’s tried reseating it a few times but last I heard he was still bumming it.

It seems that guys running tubliss are checking air pressure way more than me. Theyre using gauges, and trying to get it just right. Whereas I just give it a quick push and I’m like yeah that’s good.

So I’m pretty happy with my setup, except for; the battery, and burnt holes in knee area of my pants. Also the upper fork area just feels vulnerable to me, especially in the trees and rocks.

So thanks for the words about tubliss and moose’s and stuff. I’m gonna pass it on to the kid. It’s also good to know that it’s not lighter in weight than std tubes. I had thought they were.

When I ran TuBliss I checked air pressure once a month with very little change in high pressure and nothing on low side. If your buddy is losing air that fast his valve or bead is leaking or a hole in the tire. I use slime on the bead and high pressure tube to aid sealing. If your riding varies TuBliss has many advantages over tubes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2018 at 10:24 PM, surfer-dude said:

I have that pipe guard and am glad I had finally gotten it as I was putting dents in the headpipe from all the stuff I bang it into. 

My guard is all rashed up so has been doing its job. 

I would also not waste my time on any other CF stuff for the bike as the stuff is not that great for protecting things.  We have to use it, or aluminum, for the pipe guard as it can take the heat.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I have that pipe guard and am glad I had finally gotten it as I was putting dents in the headpipe from all the stuff I bang it into. 

My guard is all rashed up so has been doing its job. 

I would also not waste my time on any other CF stuff for the bike as the stuff is not that great for protecting things.  We have to use it, or aluminum, for the pipe guard as it can take the heat.  

I wish flatland made a header pipe guard for beta 4 strokes. The guard from them for my 525 Beta is great.

• Like 1