2017 Honda CRF450RX or Beta Xtrainer 300

Im 17, im about 90 kilos and im 1.83 height. I have made tons of these topics before but I just found two killer deals that both are almost way to good to be true.  the Honda costs 11000 dollars, however there is a sale for it. Its brand new and its litterally still in a box at a dealership, the sale drops it all the way down to 8555 dollars, which is the same price the Beta is. My previous bike was a RM250. Im a fast learner but that bike was insanity, and it was heavy. I am fully aware that the Honda is way heavier, its about 20 kilos heavier. However all the roads here are used as tractor roads, and the few real "single track" experiences you get here are just small rocks which pop up in a hill somewhere. There are loads of gravel roads here, and ofcourse there are rougher parts. But most of it is roads used by tractors and woodcutting machines.

However my biggest concern is the money, I dont have a salary. My mom is buying this bike for me, so Im free to choose. I really REALLY want the honda, just because I have only heard good things about them reliability wise. However my friends that ride ktm exc125-200s keep bragging that they have 2000kilometers on their bike and they have only changed oil every now and been careful with the airfilters. I do know that I will be a better rider on the xtrainer, but I can learn quick. My rm250 was my first EVER twowheeler and I keep up with the faster guys in the woods, the part about it being heavy to handle is the fact I have ridden on a shagged knobby the whole entire time. There are litterally no knobbies in the middle, its just small bumps. So getting it up hills was so heavy, and usually it ended up with the bike stalling and me not able to get my legs down. My heart points at the CRF however I am sure the xtrainer will be more fun for me, I will not be able to do any mods to the bike, I do not have enough cash and I will only be able to afford necessities such as oil/fuel etc. I am not that handy at engines, however I am willing to learn. And I have already done a top end on my RM. After only riding it after 10 hours, (previous owner had 30 hours on it) 

I also have a really big fear of four strokes, everyone here is a two stroke fan so they keep saying the same that a four stroke is way more expensive to own and maintain however I have heard the opposite.

So please give me some good advice. The beta has been readied by the manufacturer but I havent given them money yet, so I hope they will be able to sell it to someone else if I end up wanting the Honda. 

Another big question I have. How is the lugging capability of the 450rx compared to the rm250? I felt like the RM250 sucked at lugging, it stalled really quickly. I know this is where the beta would rock but still.

Edited by wex

1 hour ago, wex said:

all the roads here are used as tractor roads, and the few real "single track" experiences you get here are just small rocks which pop up in a hill somewhere. There are loads of gravel roads here, and ofcourse there are rougher parts. But most of it is roads used by tractors and woodcutting machines.

If the majority of your riding is on gravel roads and there is no real single track riding you absolutely do not want the cross trainer, it's a light weight single track enduro machine. The heavier 4 stroke is much better suited to the type of riding you are describing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kompact said:

If the majority of your riding is on gravel roads and there is no real single track riding you absolutely do not want the cross trainer, it's a light weight single track enduro machine. The heavier 4 stroke is much better suited to the type of riding you are describing.

That is true, but at the same time there are some small terrain roads. there are some muddy roads, and ofcourse SOME but that is very little rocky terrain. But Im just thinking what is the point of the cross trainer if I will be doing open gravel roads and some very light enduro trails. At the same time Im afraid the Crf will be to heavy. And like I mentioned earlier in the thread all im really looking at is price, which will be cheaper to run etc. I will not be able to do any mods as mentioned, and if one of em blows up Ill have to wait a long ass time before I can rebuild it. I rarely get out of 3. so neither of the bikes will be pushed hard

Some of the more knowledgeable guys here will chime in and I may be wrong but I'd say the Honda properly maintained will last significantly longer then the Beta. First, the bigger the engine the more longevity it has. Second, Honda is known for reliability over performance.

4 hours ago, wex said:

I also have a really big fear of four strokes, everyone here is a two stroke fan so they keep saying the same that a four stroke is way more expensive to own and maintain however I have heard the opposite.

I'm a long time Honda 4T fanboy. While it's true that when you do have to rebuild it's more complicated and expensive the reality is that with a Honda 4T that might well be 10+ years down the road. Assuming you keep the oil golden and the air filter clean it'll be some time before you have to worry about anything, especially given that you said you don't ride hard. By the time you have to do anything major on the Honda you'll be out of the house, working and will be able to afford it anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wex said:

ow is the lugging capability of the 450rx compared to the rm250? I felt like the RM250 sucked at lugging, it stalled really quickly. I know this is where the beta would rock but still.

You can install a flywheel weight or a rekluse auto clutch, both costing you plenty, but both prevent stalls and help with lugging. If you do ride the 450RX and then you get faster and faster on it, once it wears out your rebuild costs will surpass the Beta rebuild cost. The 450RX is discounted because it's not selling well. It's not selling well because it's just a motocross bike with e-start and bits. It is in no way a trail bike like the Beta. However, you said you don't ride trail but then you asked about lugging.... 

• Like 3

Just now, shrubitup said:

You can install a flywheel weight or a rekluse auto clutch, both costing you plenty, but both prevent stalls and help with lugging. If you do ride the 450RX and then you get faster and faster on it, once it wears out your rebuild costs will surpass the Beta rebuild cost. The 450RX is discounted because it's not selling well. It's not selling well because it's just a motocross bike with e-start and bits. It is in no way a trail bike like the Beta. However, you said you don't ride trail but then you asked about lugging.... 

Yes. Well lugging isnt actually a necessity, but I’m a fresh rjder, its easy for speed to scare me, so sometimes I like to just really slow down. And not hit a hillclimb I find intimidating at 40mph I’m exaggerating yes, but hopefully you see what I mean here.

Better suited for slower paced technical terrain, it is known that the X-Trainer limitations is it's suspension when at speed.

As much as I like the X-Trainer's design, I'm with Kompact's post above on this for your described usage 

the RX seems better suited. You want a bike to 'cruise' more open terrain yet that is still capable off-road.

With basic maintenance you'll get many years of use from that 450 before the need to service the top end.

The only drawbacks could be that the Honda doesn't have a headlight/tail light

and not considered an 'enduro' bike which many countries in Europe seem to tolerate more on certain public roads.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

Pretty simple... The Honda CRF450RX is a motocross bike with an 18" rear tire. Not mush else. The Beta XTrainer is meant for technical trails so...

Fast flowing roads/trails very few technical sections = CRF450RX

Tight technical trails with some connecting roads = Beta XTrainer

I currently have a CRF450X, which is more trail than MX, and it is a bear on the technical stuff. It does well on the fast flowing open desert style riding it was meant for. I currently live in an area that is pretty much all technical with few fast flowing trails so I am selling my 450X and probably getting a Beta.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wex said:

Yes. Well lugging isnt actually a necessity, but I’m a fresh rjder, its easy for speed to scare me, so sometimes I like to just really slow down. And not hit a hillclimb I find intimidating at 40mph I’m exaggerating yes, but hopefully you see what I mean here.

If excess speed is an issue you might want to go with the XTrainer or something in between and NOT the CRF450RX. That bike is really meant to go fast. It is a race bike to compete in the woods.

You haven't mentioned it but I would HIGHLY recommend a CRF250X for you. It will be faster than the XTrainer yet more mellow than the CRF450RX. For what you are describing I think this may be the best option for you and it is cheaper than both of these, even new.  Read the article below. I also have a CRF250X that I got for my son and can attest that this review is spot on. A very fun bike. 

Also in a 2015 Dirt Rider comparison it rated higher than the KTM 250 4T and just below the YZ250FX. This bike is severely underrated. 

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/off-road-test-honda-crf250x/

• Like 1

Thank you all for great answers guys. Yes I forgot the Honda is a purebred RACE bike, I really doubt I will notice the suspension issues on the xtrainer believe it or not. Although its not even an issue, BUT the dealership did offer me a killer deal on a sherco 300 sef-r. Its about 500 dollars more then the xtrainer, is that a more luggable bike?

I finally found a video of someone winding out the xtrainer on youtube and not doing 20mph believe it or not. Im just afraid the xtrainer will be a money drain, but after reading some more I found out enduro bikes can do 100-120 hours on a piston if im just trailriding it. Idk if thats true or not, but if it is then thats pretty damn impressive. Leaning more and more towards the xtrainer, people are telling me its slow but if it is 35hp and I pop on the RR pipe and rejet it and remove the snorkel then it should be nice. Also the RR topend should be fully compatible aswell if I want to, Also after watching people ride 450s in trials then man its easy to stall. Im seeing some of the best enduro riders stalling it in 1st because you can drag it out so much, the 450rx with a wide ratio tranny should be a perfect bike for me.

Edited by wex

I finally found a video of someone winding out the xtrainer on youtube and not doing 20mph believe it or not. Im just afraid the xtrainer will be a money drain, but after reading some more I found out enduro bikes can do 100-120 hours on a piston if im just trailriding it. Idk if thats true or not, but if it is then thats pretty damn impressive. Leaning more and more towards the xtrainer, people are telling me its slow but if it is 35hp and I pop on the RR pipe and rejet it and remove the snorkel then it should be nice. Also the RR topend should be fully compatible aswell if I want to, Also after watching people ride 450s in trials then man its easy to stall. Im seeing some of the best enduro riders stalling it in 1st because you can drag it out so much, the 450rx with a wide ratio tranny should be a perfect bike for me.
Stop listening to people that don't own one.
You won't want anymore power than a pipe and re-jet provide.

As for top speed, I never tired to wide it out on the road but I"ll guess it's around 80-90 mph with stock gearing.
Stop listening to people that don't own one.
You won't want anymore power than a pipe and re-jet provide.

As for top speed, I never tired to wide it out on the road but I"ll guess it's around 80-90 mph with stock gearing.
  • Like 1