Yamaha YZ450F vs kawaski KX450F rolling drag race I got stomped!

Hey guys! First post here on the forums but I have been a long time reader. My buddy and I did a rolling drag race on pavement we both started in 2nd and went all the way to 5th gear pinned. I have a 2017 Yamaha YZ450F and he has a 2017 Kawasaki KX450F. We both have around 40hrs on both bikes, both bikes are also geared 13 tooth in front and 50 rear sprocket. Figured they would be pretty close in a flat out race.  We pulled about the same through 3rd gear. The kawaski started to pull pretty hard on me and then by the time I was topped out in fifth he was just shifting into fifth and pulled about a bus length. The race was all for fun and no hard feelings just kind of baffled on why his pulled so much harder and longer! Any insight or similar findings?! I also weigh about 60 more pounds than him I understand that might have a little bit to do with it but a bus length?! 🤣

• Like 1

Just now, BushPig said:

60lbs is a fair bit extra.

It definitely hurts the horsepower to weight ratio.  :smirk:

I'm sure increased air resistance that goes along with it doesn't help either.  :prof:

Odds are 4th and 5th gear have different ratio's also.   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fisherman302 said:

I also weigh about 60 more pounds than him

Switch bikes, run the race again.  Compare.

• Like 6

We will run it again tomorrow I’ll let you guys know the results, I did put a 50 tooth on the bike tonight we were out for a test ride to see if I could feel a difference my stock rear sprocket is a 48 so obviously it gears it a bit lower from My stock ratio. The  Kawasaki’s stock sprockets are 13/50 to begin with 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fisherman302 said:

We will run it again tomorrow I’ll let you guys know the results, I did put a 50 tooth on the bike tonight we were out for a test ride to see if I could feel a difference my stock rear sprocket is a 48 so obviously it gears it a bit lower from My stock ratio. The  Kawasaki’s stock sprockets are 13/50 to begin with 

Probably because the transmission gears have different ratios than the Kawi. You may have geared it too tall in your case if you are trying to match the Kawi.

• Like 1

The new backwards engine Yamaha’s haul on the top end. Sixty pounds is a lot. 

You want more. Mine had a GYTR head, big bore, tapper bored throttle body. Nothing pulled like it on top end. But even stock the other 450’s didn’t have the top end however it traded the monster top for not much bottom end. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys we trail ride only so we are never really getting into 5th gear anyway I just thought the results were interesting. I’m still going to switch him bikes and see what happens! 

• Like 1

had a 2014 kx450 before this 450fx and that thing was powerfull,it would power wheelie in 5th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, etuke said:

had a 2014 kx450 before this 450fx and that thing was powerfull,it would power wheelie in 5th.

No doubt I did notice when I rode his it does seem to have a bit more balls. I still love my Yamaha though , super plush suspension and nice consistent power 

• Like 1

The Yamaha has a couple more horsepower but the extra weight may be the equalizer. Goes to show you how close all the bikes are. The last place magazine test bike will smoke the first place bike with a rider with only about 5 percent more skill.

• Like 1

As a KXF450 (2018) owner this is good stuff as I was considering switching to a YZF450 after summer because of them having more horsepower.

See if I can test ride one first then..

• Like 1

A roll on drag race with 2 mx bikes on aspahalt mean nothing put them on a mx track

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, Fisherman302 said:

Hey guys! First post here on the forums but I have been a long time reader. My buddy and I did a rolling drag race on pavement we both started in 2nd and went all the way to 5th gear pinned. I have a 2017 Yamaha YZ450F and he has a 2017 Kawasaki KX450F. We both have around 40hrs on both bikes, both bikes are also geared 13 tooth in front and 50 rear sprocket. Figured they would be pretty close in a flat out race.  We pulled about the same through 3rd gear. The kawaski started to pull pretty hard on me and then by the time I was topped out in fifth he was just shifting into fifth and pulled about a bus length. The race was all for fun and no hard feelings just kind of baffled on why his pulled so much harder and longer! Any insight or similar findings?! I also weigh about 60 more pounds than him I understand that might have a little bit to do with it but a bus length?! 🤣

Maybe you just suck at riding and that's why he beat you! I stomp the shit out of some of the kawi guys in 450 B class at my local track!

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:22 AM, mikedabike said:

The Yamaha has a couple more horsepower but the extra weight may be the equalizer. Goes to show you how close all the bikes are. The last place magazine test bike will smoke the first place bike with a rider with only about 5 percent more skill.

This is pretty valid point!

• Like 1

I know their older bikes but in 14 I owned three 450s yz kx rmz all just had pipes and the yz was the strongest motor out of all of them.

• Like 2

Something isnt right. The yz may get pulled off bottom but it makes its power up top. I think having your son hanging on your body is a huge difference

• Like 2

no doubt it has a lot to do with weight and the fact I went from a 48 tooth to a 50 tooth. After riding with a 50 tooth I think I like riding with a 48 tooth better. 5th gear feels like there is no difference from 3rd. Almost like it winds out the gears quicker. My buddy was telling me to try a 50 tooth so I gave it a shot. Can someone explain what the benefit to running a 50 tooth is? I feel as though it gives the bike more power in the bottom end. am I correct on this?

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, frankdecrosser said:

As a KXF450 (2018) owner this is good stuff as I was considering switching to a YZF450 after summer because of them having more horsepower.

See if I can test ride one first then..

I still wouldn't trade my Yamaha for a Kawasaki, I ride my buddies quite often (I'm probably used to my bike) but I notice I like the suspension on my Yamaha a bit more and the bike just feels way better. Once again I'm obviously used to my Yamaha but right off the bat I like the Yamaha a bit more. 

If I understood correctly, he really pulled away in higher gears. I agree with the others that mentioned bike gearing but also wind resistance becomes an exponentially increasing factor at higher speeds. Since you are heavier I would assume you also have more surface area and wind resistance.  When I was a kid I would ride my 82 IT469 at the local drag strip.  I was amazed how much of a ET and MPH difference it made to tuck down behind the bars, grip the bike with my legs and even move my clutch hand off the bars and in on the fork tube.   BTW- I am 6'4" so I have some wind resistance too.;-)

Edited by shredmasterz