Roczen Bike

Thoughts?....

I know there are some 2019 Honda threads in GD, but wanted to hear what the regulars in Pro section have to say about this. Price, good move, bad move? Everyone that said KTMs cost too much, you going to pay $11,500 for a Honda then? Did Honda do enough to the bike? Will this move let Honda introduce a new bike early in the future (assuming they continue to offer)? etc etc.......

It's purely a cash grab.  This isn't a development bike like the KTM FE.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

I was under the impression the FE was mostly just bling parts? The Honda actually has head work.

• Like 1

They are following the leader ..

I hope those “imbedded graphics” (just like Ktm) don’t include the number 94 also .

It’s not like it’s a championship winning bike.
  • Like 2

It's a bike for the Roczen fan-boys with a few extra bucks in their pockets.  You could probably buy the stocker and put the extra into it and have a better bike.

• Like 4

Just now, jcm3 said:

You could probably buy the stocker and put the extra into it and have a better bike.

just like the KTM FE

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Arctic Pride said:

I was under the impression the FE was mostly just bling parts? The Honda actually has head work.

The FE this year has a whole new engine. In years past it was the frame, engine & suspension

The first FE was KTM's way of getting Dungey a competitive bike a year early and they stuck with the program. What Honda is doing is grabbing all the cash they can get from their fan boys. Not a bad business plan if you can sell all the inventory  

• Like 3

I thought Zuke was going to release that WS edition they did in 18, bean counters probably axed it 

Ya a lot of good points. I think right now it comes off as a cash grab, since it really isn't introducing an early model ahead of schedule. But since they have shown they are willing to build a factory edition in the first place, maybe they can use that to get a new model out early, when the time comes (like KTM does). As far as the bike itself, I think both the Honda and KTM/Husky you could probably buy the base bike and build it better for the money (because you can put the money towards individual needs / preferences). So that is a wash. Daniel Blair made a good point on twitter; basically that Vet riders who have the money are people who buy these bikes. So really it is pretty pointless, in a way. Almost like a show bike or conversation piece. 

The bike itself is cool. Still too damn heavy. I'm sure it is also more power than I would need, also. But still cool to have, I would imagine. In a way, I'd rather them just make a 350 or 2 stroke. Even more decked out 450s are just so overkill, I think. 

• Like 1

Ya a lot of good points. I think right now it comes off as a cash grab, since it really isn't introducing an early model ahead of schedule. But since they have shown they are willing to build a factory edition in the first place, maybe they can use that to get a new model out early, when the time comes (like KTM does). As far as the bike itself, I think both the Honda and KTM/Husky you could probably buy the base bike and build it better for the money (because you can put the money towards individual needs / preferences). So that is a wash. Daniel Blair made a good point on twitter; basically that Vet riders who have the money are people who buy these bikes. So really it is pretty pointless, in a way. Almost like a show bike or conversation piece. 
The bike itself is cool. Still too damn heavy. I'm sure it is also more power than I would need, also. But still cool to have, I would imagine. In a way, I'd rather them just make a 350 or 2 stroke. Even more decked out 450s are just so overkill, I think. 

Not that it’s any game changer but I was more impressed with the new 450L
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

Ya I thought that was pretty cool too lol. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

I like the RX

Posted (edited)

easy to say...

porting- its a good motor to begin with so unlikely they did anything significant here. 

fancy exhaust- possibly a small improvement, BUT the carbon caps will get old quick AND there 1 too many anyway ;)

special coatings on shock and fork tubes- Most dont understand that these coatings do very little if anything for "sticktion" on a system that has Teflon bushing slathered in oil ridding on steel. Once the surfaces are good and their covered with oil, those coatings do nothing to improve how well the components slide. The best thing about coatings are possible increased seal life

rims- if they are any good then this is a good thing...IF

In the end its looks like a desperate attempt to compete with KTMs platform. Iits really mostly bling.

The 2019 standard KTM has more real development advance than the "works" Honda

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 2

I think the idea is great...If it does offer that little bit extra and it can be justified, why not?

I personally would like you to be able to build your own bike and add stuff, but this is a start... 

What I do chuckle about is why it seems to take so long...KTM has been doing a lot of great things for years (e-start, OS bars, FE edition, embedded graphics, OS rotors, etc) and only as of late have some of the Japanese started to follow... Heck, still blows me a way that Suzuki after all those years of running much the same bike, finally releases a new bike...but with the old motor, and it still is heavy... Like WTF!? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

No, just a new head... 

New head, Pankl trans, swingarm, subframe, plastic and exhaust 

All little changes but they are giving you more than Honda 

Edited by MotorBoatin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hans Schmid said:

I think the idea is great...If it does offer that little bit extra and it can be justified, why not?

I personally would like you to be able to build your own bike and add stuff, but this is a start... 

What I do chuckle about is why it seems to take so long...KTM has been doing a lot of great things for years (e-start, OS bars, FE edition, embedded graphics, OS rotors, etc) and only as of late have some of the Japanese started to follow... Heck, still blows me a way that Suzuki after all those years of running much the same bike, finally releases a new bike...but with the old motor, and it still is heavy... Like WTF!? 

Yes. All good points. And not trying to be a fanboy here, but a lot of the stuff that has been on the KTMs for a couple years and still nowhere to be found on the Japanese. Like if that Honda had a hydro clutch, Brembo brakes and weighed 230lbs ppl would think it was the best thing ever. But either way, not trying to stray from the topic, I think the Honda is cool. But I still think they have some catching up to do on certain things. I'm sure the bike is a dream to ride.