2018 450 EXCF Six Days short on Wheelie power

Got about 250 hours on my 18 EXCF-450.   

I've got my suspension dialed in- im a big rider.   1st gear wheelies effortlessly in any situation -as it should.  2nd - 4th gear cant wheelie at all,  which is where I need it  (mostly 2&3).   Its utter shit.    My 16 XC-f 350 would wheelie if a light breeze caught the throttle tube in any gear.   

I ride singletrack/Enduro. I only do practical wheelies to get the front up over logs, small pits, jumps-kickers etc...  

Dam thing flames out on quick throttle blips.    

I went down on the front sprocket from 14 to 13- Not much help,   but 1st does respond quicker.   

Looking for advise to get the front end up with a blip and zap.

-Praying that the $1000 Vortex ECU isn't the answer.   

HELP!

13/50 gearing and JD jetting tuner($200)  or vortex ( $700 not $1000 ive ever seen) will set you right. remember, 350 xcf is a 56 hp race bike.  450 exc is a 47ish hp trail bike. but the ect or fuel tuner will give you what your looking for. if u havent changed ur rear sprocket i wood 14/45 is to tall.. your xcf proly came with 13/52

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Master Chief XCF said:

Got about 250 hours on my 18 EXCF-450.   

I've got my suspension dialed in- im a big rider.   1st gear wheelies effortlessly in any situation -as it should.  2nd - 4th gear cant wheelie at all,  which is where I need it  (mostly 2&3).   Its utter shit.    My 16 XC-f 350 would wheelie if a light breeze caught the throttle tube in any gear.   

I ride singletrack/Enduro. I only do practical wheelies to get the front up over logs, small pits, jumps-kickers etc...  

Dam thing flames out on quick throttle blips.    

I went down on the front sprocket from 14 to 13- Not much help,   but 1st does respond quicker.   

Looking for advise to get the front end up with a blip and zap.

-Praying that the $1000 Vortex ECU isn't the answer.   

HELP!

250 hrs already???  Damn!  I need to ride more..  I got the vortex for my 2017 500 exc, runs way better.  Only tried map 1 so far.  Still smooth on the bottom, but has a pretty good hit on the top end.  No longer flames out, throttle response is better, like it has an accelerator pump.

that bike will never run right without the gear change a complete de-smog and a Vortex my single track set up is all of the above plus a major weight loss (removed street crap) and with 14/52 gears the 1st 2nd and 3rd become single track ratios and 4th 5th 6th are open country and hills. with that the bike will wheelie in all 6 gears effortlessly

Edited by Airboss/oc
  • Like 3

Remove the reed valve in the intake boot, remove the little perforated plate at the end of the exhaust, and add a fuel tuner (JD Jetting for a bit over $200, or Vortec for $700), and you will have what you want.  I have the same bike modified and it works well.

Read this.  

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?535125-12hp-Increase-2017-FE450-450EXC-with-Simple-Mods-Closed-Course-Race-Setup

And, as others have said, change the gearing if you haven’t already.  I run 14/52.

Edited by Gflo

6 hours ago, Airboss/oc said:

you must be riding a DR ! my KTM will lift wheel in sixth without clutching

Unless you weigh as much as a Victoria’s Secret model but have arms like Ronnie Coleman and are running slicks on a drag strip I don’t believe it. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys..    I can weight and deweight the suspension to do it now but I really have to give it jumping on to get it up in 2nd.   It takes a lot of energy.  I’ll go up to 52t in the rear and see how it goes.   

investigate desmoging too...    

not to sure I want to comment on wheelies in 5th or 6th...   haha...   I’ll leave that to better riders than me. 

Desmogging isn’t going to help your power issue.  You need to free up the intake (remove reed valve) and exhaust (remove screen at the tip or aftermarket exhaust or tip) AND add more fuel via a fuel tuner.  Do not free up the intake and exhaust without adding fuel.  That will only make your bike run hotter.  If the gearing change works out and you are happy, leave everything else stock.