Yz125 for woods

I ride one in the woods all the time.  No it won’t keep up with my Beta in the gnar but I run all sorts of stuff in it.  Big fun
EF20630C-6E0E-4AA1-A522-A1C8FA980104.jpeg.3ab6dd1fc6101206b41e7335791255a0.jpeg

Nice looking bike!

Here is my version. I sold my KTM 300 and built this up a couple months ago. Seriously, such a fun little bike. Plenty of power and it rails through the woods/trails.
As others have said, it requires some skill and technique on steep technical climbs but it is so much fun everywhere else that it is worth it.

IMG_6122.JPG
  • Like 8

I have been ridding my 125 a lot in the woods lately. It works great. I also have a yz250 and yz450. If I had one bike it would be the yz250. But the 125 can do anything. I feel like I can almost get it up steeper more technical terrain than the other bikes because the light weight and lower power gives me a lot of confidence. Yesterday, on a steep loose climb I out climbed my friend who was on a ktm500 and he is a better rider than me. But that was probably because his bike was the wrong color.

• Like 3

On 6/10/2018 at 6:26 PM, ERIO said:

Nice looking bike!

Here is my version. I sold my KTM 300 and built this up a couple months ago. Seriously, such a fun little bike. Plenty of power and it rails through the woods/trails.
As others have said, it requires some skill and technique on steep technical climbs but it is so much fun everywhere else that it is worth it.

IMG_6122.JPG

That’s a really nice looking build.  I always smile when I ride mine.  I have even crashed while laughing.  I landed next to where a friend was standing.  He told me he had never seen anyone crash and never stop laughing.  Yeah, it’s that fun!

• Like 4

I ride a ‘11 yz125 in the woods. They are awesome. I still haven’t figured out the lack of power people claim. This little bike has done everything I’ve asked of it. No, it won’t keep up with my buddies with 450s when the trail opens up but I don’t have a issue keeping up with the 250f. It does take a little more effort and corner speed though. You don’t get to be lazy on it like a 250f. Like others have said. They don’t beat you up and you can ride all day.

• Like 4

i ride my 06 125 in the woods very frequently and love it. I find that even though theres not a drastic amount of low end power having all the top end power makes up for it big time. Coming from only owning 4 strokes i think the yz 125 makes an outstanding woods bike.

• Like 2

From what I have gathered from MXA:

"Q: WHAT IS THE BEST YZ125 HOP-UP?

A: Bore it out. In the good old days, the most popular big-bore kit was MaxPower’s 139cc kit. It uses a 57mm piston, costs about $995, and is good for about three more horsepower. MXA’s favorite big-bore kit is MaxPower’s 151cc engine. It has a 57mm bore by 59mm stroke and pumps up the volume by four horsepower. It retails for $1930. If you want to go for the gusto, MaxPower offers a 167cc kit that goes to 60mm on the piston with the 151’s 59mm stroke. Expect about six horses more. MaxPower can be reached at (608) 224-2524."

The MaxPower mods are both bored out and stroked hence you don't lose rev at higher rpm since a longer stroke motor takes quite some time to reach its TDC within your operating rpm-range compared to a shorter stroke and only bored out motor....

By interpolating those number, i.e.
139cc - adds 3 hp (34 hp to 37 hp at peak)
167cc - adds 6 hp (34 hp to 40 hp at peak)

Then:
144cc - gains 3.53 hp more (34 hp to 37.53 hp at peak)
151cc - gains 4.29 hp more (34 hp to 38.29 hp at peak)

Expect torque to increase as well from 16.8 lb-ft to around 22.0 lb-ft depending on how much mod you put on the YZ125

2017yz125hump.jpg

YZ125Lenging.jpg

Edited by Frank0524
  • Like 3

On 5/28/2018 at 8:39 PM, basslips said:

Big stumps for sure but we don't have redwood around here.  Just doug fir, hemlock, and cedar.  Very cool to ride through, lots of giant old stumps and trunk sections that didn't make the grade and were left.  Lots of stumps with springboard notches in them too.

For sträva I use crossfit or virtual ride for moto.  We don't have any dual use trails around here so no bogus strava times for people to bitch about.

basslips - is that Starker Forest?

On 6/19/2018 at 2:04 AM, Frank0524 said:

From what I have gathered from MXA:

"Q: WHAT IS THE BEST YZ125 HOP-UP?

A: Bore it out. In the good old days, the most popular big-bore kit was MaxPower’s 139cc kit. It uses a 57mm piston, costs about $995, and is good for about three more horsepower. MXA’s favorite big-bore kit is MaxPower’s 151cc engine. It has a 57mm bore by 59mm stroke and pumps up the volume by four horsepower. It retails for $1930. If you want to go for the gusto, MaxPower offers a 167cc kit that goes to 60mm on the piston with the 151’s 59mm stroke. Expect about six horses more. MaxPower can be reached at (608) 224-2524."

The MaxPower mods are both bored out and stroked hence you don't lose rev at higher rpm since a longer stroke motor takes quite some time to reach its TDC within your operating rpm-range compared to a shorter stroke and only bored out motor....

By interpolating those number, i.e.
139cc - adds 3 hp (34 hp to 37 hp at peak)
167cc - adds 6 hp (34 hp to 40 hp at peak)

Then:
144cc - gains 3.53 hp more (34 hp to 37.53 hp at peak)
151cc - gains 4.29 hp more (34 hp to 38.29 hp at peak)

Expect torque to increase as well from 16.8 lb-ft to around 22.0 lb-ft depending on how much mod you put on the YZ125

2017yz125hump.jpg

YZ125Lenging.jpg

We just finished building an Eric Gorr 144 because of a worn out cylinder bore. got the Mo Better (all around) porting as well. Mostly because we needed a replated cylinder.

We have about 12 hours on it now

I was very impressed. this made an already fun bike amazing. the added low end is noteworthey

The overall quality from EGR is medeocre but the bang for the buck as long as your willing to backup the build quality is pretty good.

I understand the engineering dynamics of the max RPM stuff but the price is ridiculous and you have a lot of dimensional issues with the strokers that you need to carefully understand and check.  If you have the budget to send off your entire engine for full service then  it makes good sense.

For anyone who needs to replate a worn cylinder the 144 is the way to go!

Edited by GCannon

Finally got to go riding sans my 5 year old. First real ride in a few months after some changes to the 125. I went back with the 7oz fly wheel weight and I put a set of Shinko tires on. I did the fatty front and the 525 cheater rear. I think I just found the perfect woods set up for me. I know some guys don’t like the FWW and the bigger tire but it’s great for me (c mid pack rider). The tire is a 110/90/19 on a 1.85 pro wheel laced to a rad hub. The rear tire seemed like the Pirelli mx32 pro I was running until I got into the slick hills and rocks. That tire sticks like glue. While the other guy was spinning like crazy up the hills the cheater just grabbed and went. The worse and slicker things got the better it did. I’m still out on the front. It’s good but I don’t see the hype. The handling did slow a little but it’s not bad and not enough to change it out. I don’t know if I’ll buy that front again but I think I’m sold on the rear. Rode 22 miles of rooty and washed out slick clay with a mix of rocks. I like the fww now. I didn’t like it before although I usually just ride gp mx and flowing single track. I’ve got some property I built a mile long gp track on. I’ll play with the the weight on and off next time I head there but for the slick stuff and roots from today.... I’ll def keep a weight on. I ran the tires at 12psi front and 10 psi rear.

• Like 3

I have an 05 YZ125 that I ride in the mountains and deserts of Utah. Is it fun and does what I need it too? Yes. Would it be a million times easier on a 250? Absolutely.  I do have to run a 52 tooth rear sprocket tand feather the crap out of the clutch to climb steep hills and ride technical sections, but other than that and a desert tank with a few other goodies, it's stock. With that being said I am planning on buying a 250 in the future, but for the past 5 years the lil yz has gotten me every where I want to go and gained me a lot of respect. If you have the bike and want to set it up for off road, I say do it. It will keep you smiling.... most of the time.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:21 AM, ChowellYZ146 said:

I have an 05 YZ125 that I ride in the mountains and deserts of Utah. Is it fun and does what I need it too? Yes. Would it be a million times easier on a 250? Absolutely.  I do have to run a 52 tooth rear sprocket tand feather the crap out of the clutch to climb steep hills and ride technical sections, but other than that and a desert tank with a few other goodies, it's stock. With that being said I am planning on buying a 250 in the future, but for the past 5 years the lil yz has gotten me every where I want to go and gained me a lot of respect. If you have the bike and want to set it up for off road, I say do it. It will keep you smiling.... most of the time.

To improve the torque on that thing, you will need a bore and stroke 151cc from MaxPower or bore and stroke 155cc from Eric Gorr….

The 151cc-155cc adds anywhere between 4.5 to 5 hp and broaden the torque throughout the rpm range as well....

11 hours ago, Frank0524 said:

To improve the torque on that thing, you will need a bore and stroke 151cc from MaxPower or bore and stroke 155cc from Eric Gorr….

The 151cc-155cc adds anywhere between 4.5 to 5 hp and broaden the torque throughout the rpm range as well....

I thought about that, then realized how much of a pain in the ass it would be to do that engine work and mods on it, not to mention they vibrate way to much. I'm good with it being stock, I kill it on that thing. I would rather just buy another bike.

• Like 2