Buying an AZ plated bike in California, could anybody help me?

27 minutes ago, Truman Sparks said:

Here is how you get around all the Enviro Commies in California and their BS Laws.

Form a LLC Wyoming Corperation Cost $150 per year.

Register your bikes in the name of the LLC in AZ.

Perfectly legal as you are riding a bike that is owned by an out of state corporation, you do not need to have it registered in Calif. just like a Uhaul truck with out of state plates.

Won't stop some Ca Ranger lady at the gates at Gorman from rejecting you for having an out of state plated red sticker bike in your truck during non red sticker season.

Now before anyone says "interwebz bullshiat"

12-15 years ago I watched a Ranger up there who had leo authority rip across a valley and chase down a lady riding a red sticker bike in red sticker off season.  He followed her into her camp and found she had a brand new bike and her dealer set her up with a ca non resident sticker.  She got a $120 ticket for misuse of registration.  When husband complained ranger boy threatened registration fraud for $1200.  Husband shut up.

Only thing that triggered this stop was a women riding a red sticker bike witnessed by a ranger approx 1/4 to 1/2 mile out.  So don't think they can't catch you at the gate.

As of 2018 out of state plate does not trump ca red sticker season on ca state ohv land.

Might get you down the highway... or past a Fed Ranger in the desert or fed forest... but the CA State Poll-eese is gonna get you. Thats jus what they do. :smirk:

• Like 3

On 5/30/2018 at 1:01 PM, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Won't stop some Ca Ranger lady at the gates at Gorman from rejecting you for having an out of state plated red sticker bike in your truck during non red sticker season.

Now before anyone says "interwebz bullshiat"

12-15 years ago I watched a Ranger up there who had leo authority rip across a valley and chase down a lady riding a red sticker bike in red sticker off season.  He followed her into her camp and found she had a brand new bike and her dealer set her up with a ca non resident sticker.  She got a $120 ticket for misuse of registration.  When husband complained ranger boy threatened registration fraud for $1200.  Husband shut up.

Only thing that triggered this stop was a women riding a red sticker bike witnessed by a ranger approx 1/4 to 1/2 mile out.  So don't think they can't catch you at the gate.

As of 2018 out of state plate does not trump ca red sticker season on ca state ohv land.

Might get you down the highway... or past a Fed Ranger in the desert or fed forest... but the CA State Poll-eese is gonna get you. Thats jus what they do. :smirk:

read this thread with interest as I'm looking at getting my first used DS.

Jeff, seems you're always using the example of a red sticker bike being the problem.  What about the exact scenario above but a CA plated green sticker bike AKA older CRF 450X?

I have a buddy who might sell me his plated 06 450x. After reading through this thread that bike should be all good for use as a dual sport year round in CA, yes?

1 hour ago, MelonFan_123 said:

read this thread with interest as I'm looking at getting my first used DS.

Jeff, seems you're always using the example of a red sticker bike being the problem.  What about the exact scenario above but a CA plated green sticker bike AKA older CRF 450X?

I have a buddy who might sell me his plated 06 450x. After reading through this thread that bike should be all good for use as a dual sport year round in CA, yes?

You are dead on...  the track bikes aka red sticker bikes aka "Closed Course" bikes have either a C or 3 in the eighth digit of the vin number making them easy for any ranger or gate keeper at one of these SVRAs to spot the bike.  Green sticker bikes get less scrutiny...  they have passed some basic emissions minimum for public lands ohv use in CA for year round riding and actually have an OFF HIGHWAY USE emissions sticker.

Technically Green Sticker bikes are no more legal to plate than a Red Sticker Bike...  They don't have ON HIGHWAY emissions stickers either... which is the requirement to get a CA plate.  As I mention above they usually have an emissions sticker that says they are legal for OFF HIGHWAY use.  But some DMV employees see an EMISSIONS sticker and let them pass... not realizing or not caring that is says OFF HIGHWAY use.  Once in the system for a couple years it is not likely they will get pulled. Your buddy's bike will likely transfer to you just fine.  ?

The only bikes that have ON HIGHWAY EMISSIONS stickers come from the factory certified to get registered at the dealer with a plate.  No OFF ROAD dirt bike green or red sticker gets an ON HIGHWAY Emissions sticker...  and therefore technically are not to be plated in CA after Jan 2004.  But inconsistency at the DMV has allowed this to continue...  hit and miss...  for more than a decade after the cut off date.  

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

ca doesn't recognize an az plate as being street legal.  if it was designed as dirt only, thats what it will be in ca regardless of plate.  I was harassed in bishop in my teryx that is 100% street legal in az.  the cop let me off but told me keep it off the street...

6 hours ago, danthman said:

ca doesn't recognize an az plate as being street legal.  if it was designed as dirt only, thats what it will be in ca regardless of plate.  I was harassed in bishop in my teryx that is 100% street legal in az.  the cop let me off but told me keep it off the street...

That's a little different.  AZ will plate a toilet.  Your side by side is not a FED DOT vehicle.  A bike can be.  CA State Rangers will harass all AZ plated vehicles in state controlled OHV areas cause they can. But Fed Rangers and City Cops and County Sheriffs ain't pulling you over with an AZ plate unless you are missing lights and acting a punk. 

However ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT in any reasonable state will harass a plated side by side driving down the road.  AZ can not usurp DOT standards in other states with an AZ plate.

1 hour ago, Car Racer Matt said:

I want a plated Toilet

Whoa whoa whoa this is ca,Not with those kind of emissions leaking out into the atmosphere. rig up a catalytic converter for your rectum to seal to, then you may pass your idea to the CARB, then you may think about a plate.

Edited by RawbW

On 6/22/2018 at 11:11 PM, Car Racer Matt said:

I want a plated Toilet

Then move to AZ -  but NOT northern AZ.

It's TRUE.  You can plate any dam thing you want if you can make it move down the road under it's own power.  Actually, it doesn't even HAVE to move under it's own power as long as you say it can....

This is my standard commute vehicle.  You don't even need turn signals.....

You ARE supposed to have a mirror though,.,,,,,

For dirt / street I plated my '13 KTM 350XCF, '12 Husky 310 TXC, '01 Yamaha WZ250F - and my wife's 02 XR200.  Registration for all 4 is under a hundred a year.....  Sold my TE450 back into CA for someone who needed a CA plate.  That bike is/was 50 state legal and heavier than my toilet.

Cops don't even care if you have lights half the time.

My Toilet.jpg

Edited by Bill_P

On 6/2/2018 at 10:52 AM, StevetheSnake said:

Yeah my friends friend wants to ride around on his Jetski at Texas canyon. How does that work? Just wondering? 

I saw a guy riding a Jet-Ski on Pacific Coast Highway once. No Shit, the Jet-Ski was on a trailer being pulled by a minivan. Dude was not wearing a helmet so I think it was against the law.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2018 at 0:20 PM, Truman Sparks said:

Here is how you get around all the Enviro Commies in California and their BS Laws.

Form a LLC Wyoming Corperation Cost $150 per year.

Register your bikes in the name of the LLC in AZ.

Perfectly legal as you are riding a bike that is owned by an out of state corporation, you do not need to have it registered in Calif. just like a Uhaul truck with out of state plates.

Can Anyone confirm this? ?

On 6/2/2018 at 10:10 AM, bergman501 said:

How about an old tt500 1976? before stickers? Or an 70 BSA 500? just wondering?

While I don't know the exact age, yes - you can plate bikes if they are old enough. I believe the cutoff is somewhere mid '70s. You'll just have to add all the lights, blinkers, etc. 

Also less the 50cc is plateable.